IGNORED

Bubsy for the Atari VCS/2600

doctorclu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never played Fast Eddie before, but your Bubsy hack looks all sorts of awesome so I can't wait to pop it on the Harmony cart and check it out tomorrow when I have some free time. It looks just purrfect! :D

So what did you think? I've been having fun hooking up friends with copies for their Atari Flashback Portable. I've also made a quick set of instructions and a new label. New label was made after comparing other labels and realizing that I needed the game title on the big label as well as the end label.

post-4709-0-05124200-1512754896_thumb.jpg

Bubsy Manual.pdf

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

So what did you think? I've been having fun hooking up friends with copies for their Atari Flashback Portable. I've also made a quick set of instructions and a new label. New label was made after comparing other labels and realizing that I needed the game title on the big label as well as the end label.

It was definitely the least frustrating Bubsy game I've ever played. :lol: In all seriousness though I think you picked a great game to hack into a Bubsy title, as I wouldn't have known it was hack and not an original Bubsy game had I not been told. It has all the basic elements of a Bubsy game intact and the character and item sprites look great, plus it's a lot of fun to play. If you're looking for ways to improve the game the only changes I might suggest would be making it a little easier to tell how many lives you have left (maybe with a more traditional little portrait of Bubsy with a number next to it in the corner of the screen instead of little dashes under your score) and possibly touch up the ladder graphics to make the ladders a bit more defined so that they don't get confused with the non-interactive background designs.

Those are just minor niggles though, and overall I thought it was a wonderful game that definitely feels like a proper Bubsy title on the 2600. The new label art looks great too! Fantastic work all around! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

I've been having fun hooking up friends with copies for their Atari Flashback Portable.

Did you download the newest AFP ROM pack? http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

New label was made after comparing other labels and realizing that I needed the game title on the big label as well as the end label.

Yeah it does look better! Sending it to the AA Store?

Did you download the newest AFP ROM pack? http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

Yeah it does look better! Sending it to the AA Store?

Newest rom pack? No, but this game could be added to it. Works fine.

As for sending to AA store, can't unless Accolade wants to sell Bubsy for the 2600. WHICH I WOULD TOTALLY BE STOKED if it became an official Bubsy release and would buy a copy of my own work. :D

But it's just in fun. I am working to burn my own cartridge to add to my collection. But again, all in fun and getting the Bubsy name out there.

• Like 1

Literally a two pixel change. Not much to see here, but for those that have had fun watching the changes, here is this. (Just made the neck smaller).

[Hehe... all your playing of the game helped the Bubster loose some weight] ;)

post-4709-0-18620300-1512853809.jpg

post-4709-0-04210300-1512853820.jpg

Bubsy0 R19.bin

Edited by doctorclu

... If you're looking for ways to improve the game the only changes I might suggest would be making it a little easier to tell how many lives you have left (maybe with a more traditional little portrait of Bubsy with a number next to it in the corner of the screen instead of little dashes under your score) and possibly touch up the ladder graphics to make the ladders a bit more defined so that they don't get confused with the non-interactive background designs.

While I can locate all the sprites in this game now, I can't find the life bar. If you look at the sister versions I made of this for the Atari 400/800 and 5200 I have Bubsy's face for the life indicator. But this 2600 version looks like they just had a line of graphics available. A line of graphics is line finding a needle in a haystack in Hack-O-Matic So a no go on that.

However, I did touch up the ladders adding a bit at the top and bottom so the lines show a path from floor to ceiling on a level hinting even more it is a way up and down. I've also removed a line of pixels between the word balloon background and the ladder to make the ladder more separated. Thanks for the suggestion Jin

post-4709-0-67114700-1512878782.pngpost-4709-0-76165400-1512878805.png

Bubsy0 R20.bin

Picture I took earlier: Bubsy with a beer kicking it back with a Woolie co-worker in between game plays.

post-4709-0-32982600-1512878847.png

• Like 2

Seeing this post made me want to play the original, so I dug out my SNES. Then I bought the ps4 version. Forgot how good the original game was, I'll know in a few days how the modern one holds up (it looks nice, but how's it play?)

Oh this is awesome news! I've found the new game has a lot of new creative abilities (like smashing through walls). Basic advice:

1) Don't change the talking setting from what it is currently. There simply is not enough line and material for the "Bubsy" setting. But the occasional phrases works alright.

2) Enjoy the game. Collect all the lives at each level. Get the yarn ball vault objective, and try to make it through the level without dying. Try to do this for each level.

I've had the game since release date (October 31st) and getting an objective here and there still enjoying this game.

Wow is that ever hard. Unplayable on my phone. I have to think ok move right. No go up etc. I die in seconds. Very hard to control..

On real hardware would be different.

(laughs) yeh not a fan of onscreen control buttons. If you can, see if a bluetooth controller will work. I picked up one for the Atari Jaguar emulation (for, you guessed it, Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales) and that worked like 450% better.

IT'S A BUBSY HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!

Same game, same cat, new hat and trimmings for the Christmas season.

post-4709-0-60349600-1514107893.png

Bubsy0 R21-HS.bin

But that's just a Christmas hack of a fan hack (kinda a Christmas tradition here on Atariage), the REAL holiday special is the newest (official) Bubsy game is half off on Steam, and nearly half off for the PS4 version till early January 2018.

post-4709-0-12071500-1514107941.png

• Like 3

Half off!? Damn, its only like a $15 game to start with. Of course with only like 16 levels its short anyways. I beat it, but its going to be a while to 100% it.

Yeh I've played off and on since game release (October 31st) and just now getting to the third to last level at 100% objectives. Hey I figure they won't make another Bubsy game for another 20 years so why not enjoy the experience. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up some text labels for my 2600 collection, which I only collect the text labels for the uniform look and to keep from going broke collecting 2600 games...

post-4709-0-02682800-1516096918_thumb.jpg

So for grins I made the text variant for Bubsy, to add to this collection one day...

post-4709-0-57365700-1516096979.jpg

post-4709-0-32140600-1516096993.jpg

I was REALLY saddened to learn that there were only so many # text versions, and with that, not all the CX26 numbers have a place holder. So seeing 09 was open (for nine lives for a cat) I selected that one:

post-4709-0-84255400-1516097051.jpg

post-4709-0-52267500-1516097064.jpg

• Like 1