IGNORED

Bubsy for the Atari VCS/2600

doctorclu

Bubsy is a very nice hack. It looks and plays great on my AFP 2017. THANKS!

I played Fast Eddie on my Vic20 back in the early 80's. I may have to mess with the builtin ML monitor on VICE and work on a similar Bubsy for my good 'ole Vic20. Would be awesome to see Bubsy running on my early 80's Vic20 hardware.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

I started working on a hack of this for the Vic 20. Extremely rough and the animations for that worked a bit differently than they did the 2600/5200/800 versions. However, hearing you say that, I'll see what I can wrap up with that.

And for those curious of the C=64 version, probably the most different version of the five that exist.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Far better acknowledgement than a C&D. Good on them! (Yeah, I am late to the party :))

Yeh they've been pretty cool about it, and in turn I give free advertising for their Steam and PS4 releases. :D

Edited by doctorclu

Gameplay of the latest Vic 20 hack.

Will admit, out of all four hacks, I'm simply amazed by what the Atari 2600 could do, and amazed at how Sirius programmed Fast Eddie originally.

First off, on the 2600, the background is more elaborate, and that is simply in how they had this strange one sprite for the ladder equaling about four, so you you could use the other stuff (which the original Fast Eddie didn't) for other things, like in the 2600's case the word bubble and mirror. The Atari computer (and 5200) with Vic 20 had the ladder a bit more restrictive so not as much you could do with that.

Of course the computer versions I could spell out the "Kitt'N Kaboodle" title and use the face of Bubsy as the remaining life indicators where I couldn't on the 2600. Only really main trade off.

But in all cases, even the Vic 20 to a limited degree, I like how Sirius had it laid out that every line of the sprite could be assigned a different color. I have found (as when I was hacking Moon Patrol) that this is not always the case in game hacking. Sometimes a character has a single color assigned.

And I have to say after working with the Vic 20 I am also amazed by the wide range of color the Atari 2600 has. I tinker with the Vic 20 version and then the Atari 2600 and I am almost blinded by the color difference. :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fun trivia, the Commodore 64 version is now complete as far as all sprites, intro screen (a nice difference with that one), and prizes.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/276430-bubsy-for-the-commodore-64/?do=findComment&comment=3987146

post-4709-0-16116600-1521276088.png

post-4709-0-78369600-1521276102.png

post-4709-0-34273300-1521276150.png

So the largest most complicated (and last version of) Fast Eddie and it was 6K. I mean technically size wise that would easily fit as a 2600 game too.

So from here I keep joking I will graphically convert the Fast Eddie hack that Nukey Shaw did for the 7800 pause button feature and call that the "7800 release" :P But man this was fun. And fun to say though there might have been Fast Eddie hacks that I made the first conversion/hack to span the 2600/800&5200, Vic 20, and C=64 versions. :D

And give a shout out for Bubsy and the new official game.

More developments on this as inspiration hits me and I learn new hacks. - Doc Clu

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have really enjoyed playing Kitt’n Kaboodle on my Flashback Portable and in Stella in the past.

i just recently got a Starpath Supercharger, and after trying out the original Starpath games, I went looking for other 4kb games that might work on it.  I was extremely pleased to see that Bubsy worked perfectly!!  Loving playing Bubsy on real 2600 hardware for the first time!! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Bubster fans, thanks to MKdoes711 we now have a nice manual for this game.   I've updated the first message of this thread with it.  Or you can click here to download the manual.

I've added pictures showing the development progression of the sprites through the alpha and release revisions, and pictures and links of this game on other platforms.

We've had some Bubsy fans recently like this game, and a fun shelter at home project for today.

Thanks again for Troff making the SuperCharger version of this game, which I've also linked in the opening message.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prizrak said:

R21-HS is the most current one for the 2600, am I correct. Going to update pluscart files. I played a lot of Bubsy back in the day with the Genesis, SNES, PSX and Jaguar. This game makes me smile for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oh you played the one on the Jaguar?   How'd you like it?

R20 is the latest of the regular Bubsy :Kitt'N Kaboodle games.  R21 is the Holiday Special.  So having R20 and R21 is recommended.

1 hour ago, doctorclu said:

Oh you played the one on the Jaguar?   How'd you like it?

R20 is the latest of the regular Bubsy :Kitt'N Kaboodle games.  R21 is the Holiday Special.  So having R20 and R21 is recommended.

When I had the Jaguar game I loved it. I was a huge Jaguar fan in the 90s and ended up getting married and having kids and needed funds for stuff and ended up selling it all. Miss is greatly but Jaguar prices are super crazy now.

• 3 months later...

Got a new version of Kitt'N Kaboodle

1766571407_ScreenShot2020-08-18at10_45_34PM.thumb.png.efd7253da5f9352f624aa271ff366cd1.png

Bubsy0_R22.bin

This one has:

* Improved sprites (Jumping, running, and climbing.)

* Change of the logo from "Bubsy 0" to "Kitt'N Kaboodle"

* New final level with item (one of Virgil's atoms) from "Paws on Fire" to celebrate that game release.1726844639_ScreenShot2020-08-18at10_29_37PM.png.b1553bb4d60feea8a8e067c2e7a9eddb.png

the latest revision was prompted when Welfz Twingo Furs ran some ideas by me for a version of the game he had in mind.   I created the version for him, and with his permission adapted some inspiration from that and other revisions to make the revision 22 you see above.

For completists, here is the Welfz Twingo Furs edition: (and thanks again!)

604728047_ScreenShot2020-08-18at9_32_24PM.png.18ed6a9a535845c3baa0cd22c6b932db.png

Bubsy0 -Welfz Twingo Furs.bin

Still hoping to hack the music, I have had some success with that, and still dream of hacking in a voice track since Bubsy was one of the first talking mascots.   So will scratch the chin a bit more on that.  For now, enjoy!  :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/29/2017 at 11:38 AM, chavert said:

cool better than the original game.

the hero has more charisma. :thumbsup:

LOL!   Reading over this again (and archiving) I found it hilarious that an 8-bit version could display more charsima than the 16-bit version.

But then again, he is a kitten.

• Like 1