IGNORED

Looking for help with 520stfm project

Bikerbob

Hey all,

I am finally playing with my ST stuff.

I have a project computer. An early 520STFM - all open .. everything working. For it I have.

TOS 1.04 (6 chip - diy burn) installed and working good!

CxH Floppy replacement not installed yet

Micro Cosmos - I can get it to boot, I can get translated USB working - I have 2 x 2gb microSD.. but I cannot get either to work as RAW ST drive - So far trying to use ICD pro 6.55. I dont have HDdriver or PP driver yet.

Marpet 4mb upgrade - not installed yet.

I have an external floppy as well - though I notice on this board I cannot connect the ASCI and the external floppy at the same time - the cables wont space.. but if I actually have to use a real floppy for something I can swap when needed.

Joystick port to USB converter for the mouse - though with cosmos I can do it there as well.

UDS-100 - again.. can do that with cosmos once I get it setup.

SO..

I cannot run SYSINFO.PRG - bombs out - I cannot run ICD ICDFMT - it bombs out. I am not sure how to get this cosmos RAW microSD formated. ANYONE??

Can an STFM with 4mb and TOS 1.04 - run a minimal mint or multitos etc..etc..? I am more a hacker to play with it, than just games, or apps.. but I would love to get on the internet in Mint or something else and IRC, Telnet, etc..etc..

What can I do with this.. and is anyone around that can help me with the cosmos - suggestions to get this going?? what about some of exxos' upgrades? should I? etc..etc..

Thanks

James

Mint or Multitos will probably be a bit painful on a plain vanilla ST, although it can run (forget web browsing on it as well though - you could try CAB or wensuite, but I imagine they will render very few sites well these days). You could use Magic or Geneva for multitasking well enough though, which are a bit less resource heavy (Magic is actually about as fast as single TOS when it is installed). You probably won't need to use the external floppy much, only a few games are sensible enough to use it and it you have a hard drive you won't need it for serious apps.

I'm not sure why Sysinfo would crash, have you tried another version or something similar, like Profile? Do you still have your original TOS, can you swap the replacement out and see if it (Sysinfo) works then (just to eliminate something subtle has gone wrong with your flash)

Thanks, love the user name btw! :) As for Sysinfo, it was the memory.. needs 384k to run.. maybe something similar would have been better.

I have almost everything installed now.. 4mb marpet, 1.04 tos and the micro cosmos - very sweet. Building my monitor switch box tomorrow I hope, and then I can run the NEC multisync LCD 1970vx.. which many have used successfully. so looking forward to that.

SO I think bootmanager, accessories, maybe alt. Desktop or OS.. like MAgIC maybe. You made it sound good.. and I know its evolved and pretty tested.

James

I'd keep the accs and auto programs to the minimum if you can, as the more there are the more there is a chance of conflict. In these days of endless storage I stopped using a boot manager and instead hand crafted different (auto) folders containing different sets of programs for the various circumstances, I then just rename the folder auto and reboot. For example I have a basic folder which just has some of the basic essential patches like folder xxx and so on, for booting in plain TOS. I then have a GDOS folder for programs like Timeworks that really only get on with clunky old GDOS. And a 'power' (ha ha) user folder with NVDI, Magic and all the trimmings (and 2mb of ram gone like that!). Managing the autofolder is a bit of a dark art... the key rule is 'less is generally better'. Get a program called autosort (or another called dirsort) as some programs need to be run in a certain order. This program allows you to change that order in one go.

I would definitely put NVDI in there for any desktop serious work - it does use a chunk of memory but is worth every byte, particularly if you want to run papyrus or Atari works.

• Like 1

OK, so I have the micro cosmos working well.. couple of funky things I am trying to work out.. not sure what to do about support as Jookie seems to have gone awal for a bit.

Like the cosmos, for translated USB drive.. for USB mouse.. for me a trackball, and wifi.. which goes and gets an address from my dhcp and also downloads day and time from the internet.

James

Hey all,

I am finally playing with my ST stuff.

I have a project computer. An early 520STFM - all open .. everything working. For it I have.

TOS 1.04 (6 chip - diy burn) installed and working good!

CxH Floppy replacement not installed yet

Micro Cosmos - I can get it to boot, I can get translated USB working - I have 2 x 2gb microSD.. but I cannot get either to work as RAW ST drive - So far trying to use ICD pro 6.55. I dont have HDdriver or PP driver yet.

Marpet 4mb upgrade - not installed yet.

I have an external floppy as well - though I notice on this board I cannot connect the ASCI and the external floppy at the same time - the cables wont space.. but if I actually have to use a real floppy for something I can swap when needed.

Joystick port to USB converter for the mouse - though with cosmos I can do it there as well.

UDS-100 - again.. can do that with cosmos once I get it setup.

SO..

I cannot run SYSINFO.PRG - bombs out - I cannot run ICD ICDFMT - it bombs out. I am not sure how to get this cosmos RAW microSD formated. ANYONE??

Can an STFM with 4mb and TOS 1.04 - run a minimal mint or multitos etc..etc..? I am more a hacker to play with it, than just games, or apps.. but I would love to get on the internet in Mint or something else and IRC, Telnet, etc..etc..

What can I do with this.. and is anyone around that can help me with the cosmos - suggestions to get this going?? what about some of exxos' upgrades? should I? etc..etc..

I ran Mint on a 4mb STe, but I don't see why mint would require an STe. I also did manage to connect it via PPP to my network. Even had X running and displayed apps on running on my Linux system. X sucks at that resolution BTW.

But networking was painfully slow via RS232, unless you have a faster hardware solution. So while it was interesting getting Mint running, I found it wasn't actually very useful.

Well I got the networking going using the the COSMOS CE_STiNG .. which is STiK and STiNG compatible. SO I have been Telneting and IRCing.. np.. more.. not so much.. but thats more because there are few of any sites that are still usable.

I am surprised that no one has a HTML 2 compatible search engine.. you would think that would have a niche.

Or a few Atari forums that are HTML 2 compliant.. as that really is the most anyone with a 8bit.. 8mhz even a 16mhz machine can hope for.. OR text only search..etc.,

James