IGNORED

130XE RAM, what configuration do you have ?

Level42

So, I've been working on some 130XE boards recently and my friend Fred sent me a picture of his 130XE.

And it seems there's something weird going on.........

See the pictures.....three different 130XE boards....

On the last one it's hard to see, but ALL RAMs are Samsung -20 type, but the top left is a Matsushita Panasonic -15 type.

The other two are all mT's (one with -20 only, the other a mixed bag of -15 and -20), but again....the top left ones ar different, both NEC and -15.

It's almost like they did this with a goal......but what ??

It's just one bit of the entire range of 8 so there doesn't seem to be a logical reason.....maybe they did some preliminary test on one bit of the "first" RAM during production ?

Anyway.....I wonder, what do other people have in their 130XE's ? Please have a look and post a picture :)

post-25272-0-26193900-1508706374_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-24364300-1508706408_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-70002800-1508706470_thumb.jpg

The NTSC 130XE's & 65XE's I've had in my possession were all mT branded. That's been about 10 all together.

If you have one or two random chip's in there, it's more then likely it was replaced at the factory during final assembly testing and a faulty chip was identified OR previous owner replaced a faulty chip.

I've wondered about this before too. I have had at least 3 ntsc 130xe's that have had this "different" top/left ram chip vs. the others, like you are describing here.

AHA !!! We're onto something !!

Nismopc: have a good look at the pictures...do you see any hand solderings ? And wouldn't any smart repair guy throw in a socket ?

No, all three are factory original like this, and only wave soldered.....

And also.....always the top left one isn't random...

Edited by Level42

I've wondered about this before too. I have had at least 3 ntsc 130xe's that have had this "different" top/left ram chip vs. the others, like you are describing here.

Add my 130XE to that list with one NEC dram in the top left position. I'm starting to think it was a deliberate act at manufacture. :?

Edit: All the other drams on it are the notorious MT Micron Technology.

Edited by RodLightning
  • Like 1

Well, mine was upgraded to 320, so not sure this will help, but this is what it has.

attachicon.gifIMG_1556.JPG

Thanks for posting, but we can't see the original RAMs under those.....but no worries.....

Already have SO many confirmations. I think it's fair to conclude that

A) both PAL and NTSC machines have this "feature" (which makes sense as the RAM has nothing to do with NTSC/PAL)

B) this is a structural, deliberate production choice.

But WHY ?? I really can't think of anything except for that maybe they had some factory test procedure that only checked out the "first" RAM chip ? But that would be kind of crazy as all the chips on the board were placed (and soldered) in one go.

Knowing Tramiel Atari, they would do ANYTHING to save a single,cent in production costs, so there MUST be a reason why they put a slightly more expensive RAM chip in that top-left spot.....

Maybe something to do with the MMU ? Or FREDDY ?

Are there any Tramiel era 800XLs out there with mT RAMs that also have a good brand as the one on the top position ?

Do a google search on "130XE motherboard" images. It looks like almost every example has this characteristic.

Excellent idea....why didn't I think of that....I actually googled for pics of the various system motherboards lately.....

Yes you are right :) I also repeated the google with 130XE PCB....about the same results.

I think we can add a conclusion:

C) They ONLY did this if the rest of the RAMs were mT brand.

Found a few pics with different brand RAMs and if so they were ALL the same brand.

Interestingly, I found one with all -20 versions, but again ....not mT's.

post-25272-0-14932800-1508737896_thumb.png

post-25272-0-33969100-1508737927_thumb.png

Excellent idea....why didn't I think of that....I actually googled for pics of the various system motherboards lately.....

Yes you are right :) I also repeated the google with 130XE PCB....about the same results.

I think we can add a conclusion:

C) They ONLY did this if the rest of the RAMs were mT brand.

Found a few pics with different brand RAMs and if so they were ALL the same brand.

Interestingly, I found one with all -20 versions, but again ....not mT's.

Didn't your original post disprove that conclusion?

"On the last one it's hard to see, but ALL RAMs are Samsung -20 type, but the top left is a Matsushita Panasonic -15 type."

• Like 1

Well you have me curious, so I took a look. One Fairchild in the upper left, the rest are MT.

But what's with all of the unused solder pads towards the front? PAL stuff?

Ha, yet another one :)

You mean next to the small metal case on the right of it ?

Those parts are all inside that little metal,case. The board provides two possibilities: loose crystal and the required components to "drive" it, or that little metal case which contains the crystal and everything to drive it inside....I have seen the metal clock generator mostl, only last Saturday I saw an XE with loose crystal and parts.

Edited by Level42

Well, mine was upgraded to 320, so not sure this will help, but this is what it has.

attachicon.gifIMG_1556.JPG

Yes there are two "areas" of unpopulated stuff. On this picture: the stuff on the far lower right is what I meant. This is the main system clock generator (area).

The other area, also on the right, more on the top: Y2 the position for the second crystal which is required for PAL systems and hence lacks on NTSC boards. The parts around it are are for supporting this crystal (getting it to oscillate and produce a decent clock wave signal).

Maybe there is some timing that doesn't work right on some RAM chips and the single chip was the fix

Not a bad suggestion.....weird but not impossible...guess we'd have to know at the lowest level how RAM is addressed and data fetched/written...normally I would say all data bits are read/written "at once" but maybe.....not so exactly....

There's probably only one way to find out....:

Put at least one mT -020 RAM on the top left position. I'm about to socket the RAMs on the first board I showed (waiting for sockets to arrive) and I do have some working mT's which I removed from a 800XL.....gotta check if I have at least one -020 version in there.

Then I guess I need some software that seriously stresses/tests the RAM.....any suggestions ?

Edited by Level42

Didn't your original post disprove that conclusion?

"On the last one it's hard to see, but ALL RAMs are Samsung -20 type, but the top left is a Matsushita Panasonic -15 type."

True. Maybe the Samsung had the same issue as the mTs OR they were just "used" to do this (or it was a manufacturing instruction)...?

Must say that I've seen boards with only NEC chips, even at the top left position (lucky bastard owner ;);)) so that would go against what I state above, but maybe they started using mTs only from a certain point in time ?

Who knows for sure......maybe there is some internal documents about this whole thing ?

Anyway....about 90% of the boards I have seen have a different RAM on the top left position....so it definitely is not random and not an exception either.

I saw one picture of a board with ALL mT RAMs. But that poor guy had socketed all positions and put in mTs so that doesn't count :)

Not a bad suggestion.....weird but not impossible...guess we'd have to know at the lowest level how RAM is addressed and data fetched/written...normally I would say all data bits are read/written "at once" but maybe.....not so exactly....

There's probably only one way to find out....:

Put at least one mT -020 RAM on the top left position. I'm about to socket the RAMs on the first board I showed (waiting for sockets to arrive) and I do have some working mT's which I removed from a 800XL.....gotta check if I have at least one -020 version in there.

Then I guess I need some software that seriously stresses/tests the RAM.....any suggestions ?

I can't see where it would be an issue writing to the chips, it would need to be reading from the chips for then to have an output.

But then it would only be 1 bit... and I don't see where that would help any.

8 bits are accessed at a time and sometimes the bit is zero.

Maybe it's something simpler like the machine that stuffed the chips onto the boards used separate tubes for the different DRAMs and tubes of 4164s just happened to get loaded there.

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 2

nec was the high quality chip and was more expensive. it was always the upper left chip. it took more abuse than the cheaper chips and was first to take the abuse from the rails and noise.... later other better quality and tolerant chips took that location... all of the other locations were filled with the cheapest crap (mT) etc...

the full nec populated board is the most robust. NEC also made the best monitor for the 130XE it gave a crisp sharp display even at 80's columns and cleaned up the vertical bars (noise) very well...

short answer the first chip is different by design...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

nec was the high quality chip and was more expensive. it was always the upper left chip. it took more abuse than the cheaper chips and was first to take the abuse from the rails and noise.... later other better quality and tolerant chips took that location... all of the other locations were filled with the cheapest crap (mT) etc...

the full nec populated board is the most robust. NEC also made the best monitor for the 130XE it gave a crisp sharp display even at 80's columns and cleaned up the vertical bars (noise) very well...

short answer the first chip is different by design...

Please explain me technically how the first chip on the left position, which has its addresslines and datalines in parallel to all the others "take the abuse and noise" ? What abuse and noise do you mean ?

Please also explain why this apparently was not needed on the second (right) bank of 64k ?

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1