IGNORED

Cybermorph Label Variations

JagMod

What exactly is the diference between the 1meg and 2 meg versions?  I remember someone saying something about the start screen I think.  I have both a J9000E 770770-2 and a J9000 700700 and the start up screens look the same to me.

No animated text in the 1MB version.

There's also some sounds stripped out, which makes Skylar marginably more tolerable.

Stone

• 6 years later...

Huh, just found out I have the 2-Meg version. All this time I figured I had the 1-Meg because it would be my luck to have the more common, less desireable one. My wife bought me my Jag with several games a while back without knowing much of anything about it except I wanted one. And the Cybermorph in the lot was the 2-Meg one. Yea for me! =)

Can anyone verify about being able to see farther into the distance with the 2MB version?

It's been a long time since I've played the 2MB version (Probably a decade), and I only recall there being some sound additions as well as the animated title/intro screen.

I picked up a cart-only 1MB version the other day and wouldn't mind grabbing a 2MB version if you can see more of the playfield at once.

Edited by Austin

I've never heard about being able to see further in the 2mb. I believe it's not true. ;)

I never noticed a difference between the 2, but to be honest I was not looking for it. Someone should investigate. Where did you hear this anyway?

Edited by kevincal

• 1 year later...

There is a definite difference on the title screens (animation vs. no animation), and there are a few added (or different) skylar voices as far as I remember. Those are the only differences that I noticed back in the day when I owned the 2mb cart.

aaah, was just about to ask "wtf is skylar?!?" but I assume it is the woman ai head thing? when you guys mention the animation, what exactly is it you mean, does the title its self morph? If it does then I think that's the one I've got

I want a 1MB version, and I always win a 2MB version on ebay. I have three 2MB versions so far, all won on ebay.

I'm about to list my 1mb version on ebay soon if your interested, my 2mb version turned up and I don't really need/want the 1mb one! Just checked the 2mb version out last night, it seems to run a bit smoother or is that me? I like the intro animation, I'm sure that was on my original copy when I was about 15!

no sweat, I'll be listing it on the next free listing weekend so it won't be up for a while yet.

This has given me some thoughts though, does anyone know if any other Jag games had a similar situation? IE: they sold batches in stripped down versions? I can't figure out it my head why they would make 3 revision batches, 2 batches with the lesser spec version and 1 with higher spec, its just too wierd!! I'd be interested to hear if any other games had a similar situation

There are actually I think 5 variations, if you include the plastic differences with the first one. The difference between the 2MB and 1MB game is the sound and title screen. No one else has ever found anything else that I know of that were changed. Doing something like changing the draw distance or other minor changes wouldn't have saved them any space, so there would have been no reason to have someone spend time removing it.

As for the different batches, this happens with games all the time. You run what you think is enough to satisfy demand. If demand is higher, you run more and often add a small change to the product to denote the run. A LOT of SNES games for instance on their instruction manuals end with -01 or -02 because they were additional batches.

Cybermorph was ran as a pack in, and then run again as a 2MB to save money, and then ran again when they figured they could sell it individually after taking it out from being a pack-in, so it makes a lot of sense how there are three revisions on it.

ok so your saying they release the 2mb version after its innitial batch, yet the 2mb one is the one with more content? granted its not much but thats just strange, I could understand if the second batch was the one with less in it, that would make more sense, wouldn't it? strange. oh and hey, is the 2mb version supposed to be darker than the 1mb? because the new one I got and the old one I had were the same shade lol

There are three rom variations.

The 1mb has one version of the rom.

The 2mb has two versions of the rom, 9000E version has some differences in the startup code..

There is also a demo version of Cybermorph on the the Test cart, and there are many versions of the test cart.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still really baffled by the fact that the label named J9000E 770770-"2" is the one with the main/full version and not the one that was labelled 770770, surely the first numbered game in the sequence would have been most complete and then the second batch that came out will have been a cut down version? I mean I'm not questioning the facts I'm just confused by the logic of the label numbers etc lol, it just strikes me as odd

• 9 months later...