Judas-Prime

HDRetrovision SNES to Jaguar cable converter

NICE! Are you using the RGB from the Jag?

Yeah, pulling RGB straight from the edge connector directly into a Snes AV connector. It's pretty much a direct pass through into the HDRetrovision cables.

Very nice. I recently acquired the SNES component cable and the picture quality blew me away. Nice crisp image with bright colors. This was coming from a Svideo set up previously. These cables are worth every penny.

• Like 3

Hmm... I have a set of the Sega ones on my Genesis and love how it looks through it. But sadly on my TV the SNES composite to component 240p test failed so I never bothered to pick up a set for the SNES knowing they wouldn't work on my current TV. Wonder if I could do the same composite video test with the Jag and see if that works through component to know if I could then have a reason to pick up a set of these cables? Unless you can make a passthrough for the Genesis cable as well?

Hmm... I have a set of the Sega ones on my Genesis and love how it looks through it. But sadly on my TV the SNES composite to component 240p test failed so I never bothered to pick up a set for the SNES knowing they wouldn't work on my current TV. Wonder if I could do the same composite video test with the Jag and see if that works through component to know if I could then have a reason to pick up a set of these cables? Unless you can make a passthrough for the Genesis cable as well?

I have tried to make this project work with Genesis HDretrovision cables, however, I have had little success. I can get audio to come through (that's easy) but the video never appears...just sots on a blank screen. Not sure of the issue.....I'll keep trying as I have a few ideas.

Nice work.

Thanks! To be honest, the image coming through this cable adapter does have a little bit of noise. It's prolly coming from my crappy 7805 voltage regulator circuit but I don't really know as I am not an engineer.

I have tried to make this project work with Genesis HDretrovision cables, however, I have had little success. I can get audio to come through (that's easy) but the video never appears...just sots on a blank screen. Not sure of the issue.....I'll keep trying as I have a few ideas.

And your Genesis retrovision cables work normally for you I take it?

For me the Genesis and I suspect the Saturn, though I don't have that adapter to test it, is the only system that works on my Sony through component. I had assumed the SMS would as well, but just get a blank screen with the cable on that system. Oddly enough however, if I use my MegaED on my Genesis and pull up SMS games, they also produce a blank screen...for about 10sec and then I get a picture all of a sudden.

Sadly the SNES doesn't appear to be compatible with my TV as I stated earlier. But I only mention this and ask because I know that for many, they can get the SNES cable to work on their TVs but not Genesis and I'm the opposite side of that. So..was just checking.

And your Genesis retrovision cables work normally for you I take it?

For me the Genesis and I suspect the Saturn, though I don't have that adapter to test it, is the only system that works on my Sony through component. I had assumed the SMS would as well, but just get a blank screen with the cable on that system. Oddly enough however, if I use my MegaED on my Genesis and pull up SMS games, they also produce a blank screen...for about 10sec and then I get a picture all of a sudden.

Sadly the SNES doesn't appear to be compatible with my TV as I stated earlier. But I only mention this and ask because I know that for many, they can get the SNES cable to work on their TVs but not Genesis and I'm the opposite side of that. So..was just checking.

Yeah, all my systems and cables are working normal and as expected. I would guess (and this IS a guess) that the Snes and Jaguar produce a similar enough signal for the SNES HDretrovision cables to use whereas the Genesis has iffy sync at best so the Genesis cables are tuned to genesis requirements. Most likely a Sync issue as to why the genesis cables won't work with the Jag.

TTL sync on the Jaguar is probably still a different rating than it is on the SNES, and I know it is for sure between the Genesis and SNES. I'd be careful because the HDRetrovision circuitry could be designed for a certain level.

TTL sync on the Jaguar is probably still a different rating than it is on the SNES, and I know it is for sure between the Genesis and SNES. I'd be careful because the HDRetrovision circuitry could be designed for a certain level.

Good to know, thanks!

I'll set my Jaguar up on the workbench later this week (hopefully) and measure what vertical sync TTL exactly is with an oscilloscope, since I've been curious anyway.

• Like 1

I'll set my Jaguar up on the workbench later this week (hopefully) and measure what vertical sync TTL exactly is with an oscilloscope, since I've been curious anyway.

I recall HDRetrovision saying that they get sync for their cables from the composite signal. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I recall HDRetrovision saying that they get sync for their cables from the composite signal. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

That would make sense on why there is still jailbars while using these cables. I've heard of people getting rid of RGB jailbars on these early Genesis units by cutting the composite video line from the encoder I believe? Haven't done that myself as even with the jailbars, the cables still look amazing even compared to my very nice s-video out I was using prior.

Sweet. Please make a big pile of these.

So so happy to see a component/RGB solution that doesn't require multi-hundred dollar and now unobtainable upscaler boxes from Japan.

post-38373-0-71335200-1508786834.jpg

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 2

Sweet. Please make a big pile of these.

So so happy to see a component/RGB solution that doesn't require multi-hundred dollar and now unobtainable upscaler boxes from Japan.

Framemeisters are still available from Japan. Also not all modern TVs support 240p over component.

• Like 1

The RetroRoundtable Podcast featuring the guys from HDretrovision goes live tonight at 8PM ET and can be found at this link and they take questions in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/theretroroundtable

Everyone should go to the Retro Roundtable live Youtube podcast and politely ask them for an official HDRetrovision SNES to JAG cable converter. Can't hurt to ask right?

Just a quick update... I'm refining the process I use to make the converter and will be offering some for sale in the coming weeks. I['ll also provide a list of parts and vendors if you want to make one yourself.

Here is a pic of the 3rd revision.

post-32638-0-84246000-1508961782_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Good work Judas. I use the Retrovision cables on my SNES, Genesis and Saturn and, in my limited experience, it's pleasantly a noticeable difference. Nice to see there's another use for them.