Jump to content
Judas-Prime

HDRetrovision SNES to Jaguar cable converter

Recommended Posts

D'oh!

 

The image flashed on the screen but wouldn't stay on.

 

Guess my circa 2011 Samsung LCD won't do 240p.   I tried cycling through picture sizes but no luck.  Any other place i could tweak this or is it likely just a "no-go" on this particular TV? 

IMG_20190923_125521.jpg

IMG_20190923_102402.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, travistouchdown said:

D'oh!

 

The image flashed on the screen but wouldn't stay on.

 

Guess my circa 2011 Samsung LCD won't do 240p.   I tried cycling through picture sizes but no luck.  Any other place i could tweak this or is it likely just a "no-go" on this particular TV? 

Oh no! Did you not test your TV for 240p compatibility per the HD Retrovision site before purchasing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh...not too worried about it; plenty of TVs around to test it on.

 

No---but; i do have Saturn and Genesis/32x/CD hooked up to the same TV using the same cables and they work okay.

 

The TV was glitching between 480i and 240p; like trying to figure it out; but just couldn't for whatever reason.  May try a different Jag as well just for testing sake. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, travistouchdown said:

No---but; i do have Saturn and Genesis/32x/CD hooked up to the same TV using the same cables and they work okay.

Yikes, I assumed that if those work, that the Gen2Jag adapter would work fine and dandy on the same TV. Might want to see if @Judas-Prime can provide some feedback on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travistouchdown said:

Eh...not too worried about it; plenty of TVs around to test it on.

 

No---but; i do have Saturn and Genesis/32x/CD hooked up to the same TV using the same cables and they work okay.

 

The TV was glitching between 480i and 240p; like trying to figure it out; but just couldn't for whatever reason.  May try a different Jag as well just for testing sake. 

If you continue to have issues let me know and ill take care of you. I'm not sure of the exact reason you would be experiencing that drop out. I test every uint on a bog standard Samsung TV lcd and other than some Jitter (issue with my set) the image is in sync and stable.

 

let me know what i can do to help.

Edited by Judas-Prime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay!  Got it working; and it looks AWESOME!!  It wasn't the TV as i suspected it might not be; and it wasn't the cable/adapter either.

 

If there is anything I've learned over the years; its that the Jag MOBO revisions can be finicky with various things.  For example....I have a jag that Zero 5 will play on, and another that it just black screens on.  Simply will. not. play.   There are two main revisions and its a minor issue that i've only run into a few times as regards compatibility.   Sure enough; this cable did not like the mobo in my white Jag.  It didn't like the second jag either; flickering the screen, but my third Jag: Flawless.

 

It's hard to tell from the photos...but it looks great.  

IMG_20190926_105237.jpg

IMG_20190926_125727 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, travistouchdown said:

Okay!  Got it working; and it looks AWESOME!!  It wasn't the TV as i suspected it might not be; and it wasn't the cable/adapter either.

 

If there is anything I've learned over the years; its that the Jag MOBO revisions can be finicky with various things.  For example....I have a jag that Zero 5 will play on, and another that it just black screens on.  Simply will. not. play.   There are two main revisions and its a minor issue that i've only run into a few times as regards compatibility.   Sure enough; this cable did not like the mobo in my white Jag.  It didn't like the second jag either; flickering the screen, but my third Jag: Flawless.

 

It's hard to tell from the photos...but it looks great.  

IMG_20190926_105237.jpg

IMG_20190926_125727 (1).jpg

Whew...Im glad this worked out for you... It bothers me to no end when my customers have issues like this. I Have three Jags I test on Two M and One K and I dont hav e any issues, but this proves that the 'ol Cat can be finicky for sure.  And excellent test games....Stunt Car Racer was a staple in my Amiga Days.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to share what I did with my SNES2JAG adapter.  I filed off the nubs on the top (what used to be the bottom for the N64) and tapered down the extrusions on the SNES end so it was squared off at the top.  I also removed the raised lettering of RF and CH 3-4 on the bottom (what used to be the top) and gave it a coat of Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Slate Gray paint (found at Walmart), which matches both the Jaguar and Lynx quite nicely.

 

I played around with several label ideas and here's the one I ended up going with... for now anyway (until I change my mind).  It would probably be much nicer to make a cut out decal with a Cricut, or even a raised logo with a 3D printer, but this will have to do for now.

 

IMG_1016_sm.thumb.jpg.0828a9e48ffd35753ea6b75cbffb9187.jpg IMG_1014_sm.thumb.jpg.b9fb14ed8fe231ca646810d7bcbbb4bb.jpg IMG_1018_sm.thumb.jpg.f3d3849e479ea23975115ee99383eefd.jpg IMG_1021_sm.thumb.jpg.a0b96584c17044f2ca91bc177dd0dccf.jpg SNES2JAG_Labels.thumb.png.a28fb378b30e214a29edc2912b0acaf0.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Just wanted to share what I did with my SNES2JAG adapter.  I filed off the nubs on the top (what used to be the bottom for the N64) and tapered down the extrusions on the SNES end so it was squared off at the top.  I also removed the raised lettering of RF and CH 3-4 on the bottom (what used to be the top) and gave it a coat of Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Slate Gray paint (found at Walmart), which matches both the Jaguar and Lynx quite nicely.

 

I played around with several label ideas and here's the one I ended up going with... for now anyway (until I change my mind).  It would probably be much nicer to make a cut out decal with a Cricut, or even a raised logo with a 3D printer, but this will have to do for now.

 

IMG_1016_sm.thumb.jpg.0828a9e48ffd35753ea6b75cbffb9187.jpg IMG_1014_sm.thumb.jpg.b9fb14ed8fe231ca646810d7bcbbb4bb.jpg IMG_1018_sm.thumb.jpg.f3d3849e479ea23975115ee99383eefd.jpg IMG_1021_sm.thumb.jpg.a0b96584c17044f2ca91bc177dd0dccf.jpg SNES2JAG_Labels.thumb.png.a28fb378b30e214a29edc2912b0acaf0.png

This is dope as hell.....nice work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Just wanted to share what I did with my SNES2JAG adapter.  I filed off the nubs on the top (what used to be the bottom for the N64) and tapered down the extrusions on the SNES end so it was squared off at the top.  I also removed the raised lettering of RF and CH 3-4 on the bottom (what used to be the top) and gave it a coat of Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover Slate Gray paint (found at Walmart), which matches both the Jaguar and Lynx quite nicely.

 

I played around with several label ideas and here's the one I ended up going with... for now anyway (until I change my mind).  It would probably be much nicer to make a cut out decal with a Cricut, or even a raised logo with a 3D printer, but this will have to do for now.

 

IMG_1016_sm.thumb.jpg.0828a9e48ffd35753ea6b75cbffb9187.jpg IMG_1014_sm.thumb.jpg.b9fb14ed8fe231ca646810d7bcbbb4bb.jpg IMG_1018_sm.thumb.jpg.f3d3849e479ea23975115ee99383eefd.jpg IMG_1021_sm.thumb.jpg.a0b96584c17044f2ca91bc177dd0dccf.jpg SNES2JAG_Labels.thumb.png.a28fb378b30e214a29edc2912b0acaf0.png

 

Very nice!

I like how you put "this side up" and some of them.

Any chance you could make a Genesis version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Machine said:

Very nice!

I like how you put "this side up" and some of them.

Any chance you could make a Genesis version?

 

Thanks.  I thought about a Genesis version and started making one, but wasn't sure if they used the same N64 enclosure since I don't have one.  If the Genesis ones are the same, (or if different what size they are), I'll go ahead and make a variety of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, Machine said:

Any chance you could make a Genesis version?

Here is a handful of GEN2Jag variations.  They are 600dpi.  Do with them as you like, edit/combine/etc.

Gen2Jag_Labels_600dpi.thumb.png.f11d7dc8d63605e6c17d3dc28edaf627.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...