IGNORED

CRT TV vs Modern TV for retro games

23 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Yes, had the modded rom on my Everdrive N8.  Again, many of the Tomee guns don't work.  Some batches had crappier LED's in them than others.

The one I ebayed works fine.  And I got a 9 pin famiclone gun works awesome too.  My megajoy 2 controller with famicom cart slot broke.  But before it broke I verified the gun works.

I don't have a space in the house for a CRT TV.  I do have one in the garage that I will use occasionally with my NES.  But that means lugging it in and setting that all up.

I use a flat screen more now.

I use a Retro USB AVS for all my NES gaming.  

Genesis wise I use the HD Retrovision cables and a Retrotink.  It looks really good.

If I couldn't have a CRT I wouldn't play video games at all. My PC monitor is a CRT too. A couple of years ago it was down for about a week because I had to fix it (take it apart to document the ~100 electrolytic capacitors, order them, wait for them to arrive, install them and fix some cracked solder joints on the yoke header), and in the meantime I grudgingly bought a 27" Acer G276HL LCD monitor. I hated every minute of using it, and I haven't touched it since I got my CRT back up and running.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Austin said:

I use a high quality upscaler and I love every minute I use my LCD.

Why would you put an upscaler between a PC and an LCD? I had my PC set to the LCD's fixed resolution (1920x1080), which is as "good" as it's ever going to look. I hate the picture characteristics of LCDs though, plus, they strain my eyes.

Just now, MaximRecoil said:

Why would you put an upscaler between a PC and an LCD? I had my PC set to the LCD's fixed resolution (1920x1080), which is as "good" as it's ever going to look. I hate the picture characteristics of LCDs though, plus, they strain my eyes.

I'm talking about game consoles, Captain Doofus. Obviously with a modern PC I would run it straight into a monitor via HDMI.

Anyway, the point of the response wasn't so much as to claim my love for LCDs, but more so to balance out your disdain for them as you have made quite clear in multiple threads already.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Austin said:

I'm talking about game consoles, Captain Doofus. Obviously with a modern PC I would run it straight into a monitor via HDMI.

Anyway, the point of the response wasn't so much as to claim my love for LCDs, but more so to balance out your disdain for them as you have made quite clear in multiple threads already.

Smaller LCDs can look just fine with old consoles without an upscaler. 8 and 16 bit consoles looked just fine on my 32" inch LCD. But I greatly prefer CRT for old games especially for Atari stuff that has simple backgrounds. Breakout and other 2600 games would not look as nice without the motion blur that CRTs have.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

18 minutes ago, Austin said:

I'm talking about game consoles, Captain Doofus.

You quoted me talking about using an LCD as a PC monitor, Slow Doug. Since you've just admitted that you were talking about something completely different than what you quoted and replied to, can you tell me how the weather is tonight, out there in deep, deep left field?

As for using a high-resolution LCD with a classic game console, that's even worse. Non-native resolution is garbage, regardless of how good your scaler is.

13 hours ago, Austin said:

I'm seeing things Austin's way more and more

Genesis through a Retrotink and HD Retrovision cables to an LCD HD I picked over a Mega SG.

Retro AVS for NES games.  I do wish I had a way to play NES games on a LCD with my original NES console.

I personally LOVE playing my vintage consoles (and computers!) using a modern LCD display. The RetroTink2X brought that love to me, no doubt....as well as HDRetroVision cables. I have a flawless and fantastic looking display on everything. It is even better than my old Wega CRT display...on a cheap Polaroid Target LCD....that is saying something!

And, I use the original NES (and a Vic-20) on this LCD using the RetroTink2X as it supports composite. I also use it with S-Video on a N64 and a Jaguar to the same TV. It all looks pretty damn good to me.

• Like 1

Finally another voice of reason about the modern TV.  They're not all bad, you just need to shop smart and get one that minimizes (virtually negates) the display lag issue which typically for most is the 30ms barrier or less.  Take that, and then you have this ultra clean and sharp image for your old stuff that kills the best of the CRT design unless you're just hug up on the old low res glow of the technology then there's no curing that.  The only legit hang up I'd have really would be lack of light gun play if you're a big fan and I do miss Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman.  That they don't re-issue those on the 3DS or Switch sucks as you could just tap to shoot there even if it would make it a bit easier, they could do a modern mode to jack the challenge up to fix even that.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Finally another voice of reason about the modern TV.  They're not all bad, you just need to shop smart and get one that minimizes (virtually negates) the display lag issue which typically for most is the 30ms barrier or less.  Take that, and then you have this ultra clean and sharp image for your old stuff that kills the best of the CRT design unless you're just hug up on the old low res glow of the technology then there's no curing that.  The only legit hang up I'd have really would be lack of light gun play if you're a big fan and I do miss Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman.  That they don't re-issue those on the 3DS or Switch sucks as you could just tap to shoot there even if it would make it a bit easier, they could do a modern mode to jack the challenge up to fix even that.

You already have an ever drive.  You could load the new lcd rom hacks and try it on your lcd or led tv.  You just need a tome zapper which are dirt cheap on ebay.

Edited by 0078265317