IGNORED

Replicade Presents: Centipede

NewWaveToys

Hey all,

We are NewWaveToys (the creators of Replicade) and we just launched a Kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/529306246/replicade-mini-centipede-arcade-machine-replica-12

We are going for a truly authentic feel with our Centipede machine, just in 1/6th scale. It is completely licensed through Atari, which allows us to use all the original art as well as the original ROM.

We posted on the Replicade thread, but we also wanted to create our own. If you have any questions about the Centipede machine or anything else, feel free to ask! (although I may not be able to answer everything).post-62298-0-48348400-1508879135_thumb.png

• Like 1

What emulator is used?

Hey Keatah,

All I can say at the moment is that it is a closed system that boots directly into the official Centipede ROM. The settings button on the machine goes into the original arcade settings on the cabinet (so changing difficulty and all the tools the original operators had but nothing like save states). Hope I was able to give a little clarity.

Also curious about what all goes into these that justifies the $160 price tag outside of the kickstarter deal packages? Did atari really ask that much of a cut?

Hey Tanooki,

To have the authentic look and feel, we used higher quality parts (including the die-cast metal for the coin doors), which makes it cost more to make than you might think. Of course, there are other costs that we have to have in order to be able to launch this product.

That is one of the reasons why the Kickstarter route is so great, it allows us to give backers a discount to help us launch Replicade. Thanks for the question!

I'm curious how playable this really is. I mean, could someone expect to get nearly the same scores on this device as they could on a full-size cabinet?

Hey Sdamon,

It is actually very playable. We got a lot of positive impressions from IndieCade, where everyone was surprised with the responsiveness of the trackball. We are also aiming to release videos and livestreams, as well as have media show it off, to show the playability.

Even as someone who adores classic arcade games and owns two full size Atari cabinets, I'm just having a hard time making up my mind on this thing! If they were a bit less expensive (and I get why they cost what they do... it's a really nice looking product!) or played more games (tossing in Millipede would have been great!), it would be a no-brainer. As-is, I'm still leaning toward buying in, but I can't help but wish it was an easier decision!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic product for someone who's craving a really authentic miniaturized replica of the arcade machine, and I do think the price is right for what that is. It's just that the sweet spot for me would have been something less authentically styled, but with larger controls. Something with the form factor of the old Coleco games, but with fully authentic gameplay and ideally a selection of a few different games, would be perfect for me. Heck, I'd be buying them as presents for any friends who liked classic games at all! But I do understand that would be more of a casual toy product instead of the collector's item that's being offering here.

I do appreciate that these mini-cabinets are trying to do justice to these beloved arcade games! I really do hope this is a successful product, whether or not I end up buying in myself.

• Like 2

Even as someone who adores classic arcade games and owns two full size Atari cabinets, I'm just having a hard time making up my mind on this thing! If they were a bit less expensive (and I get why they cost what they do... it's a really nice looking product!) or played more games (tossing in Millipede would have been great!), it would be a no-brainer. As-is, I'm still leaning toward buying in, but I can't help but wish it was an easier decision!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic product for someone who's craving a really authentic miniaturized replica of the arcade machine, and I do think the price is right for what that is. It's just that the sweet spot for me would have been something less authentically styled, but with larger controls. Something with the form factor of the old Coleco games, but with fully authentic gameplay and ideally a selection of a few different games, would be perfect for me. Heck, I'd be buying them as presents for any friends who liked classic games at all! But I do understand that would be more of a casual toy product instead of the collector's item that's being offering here.

I do appreciate that these mini-cabinets are trying to do justice to these beloved arcade games! I really do hope this is a successful product, whether or not I end up buying in myself.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? I gotta have this! Pledged!

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? I gotta have this! Pledged!

Thanks for backing us Sdamon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...