IGNORED

Replicade Presents: Centipede

NewWaveToys

I backed this project and I am very happy I did. The game looks amazing and I cannot wait until the actual product arrives once it is manufactured.

I am also looking forward to tempest.

I would love to see the nintendo cabs made as those are some amazing games!

I think a TRON or Discs of TRON would also be amazing if it can have some glowing parts! I however am a dreamer.. haha

I backed this project and I am very happy I did. The game looks amazing and I cannot wait until the actual product arrives once it is manufactured.

I am also looking forward to tempest.

I would love to see the nintendo cabs made as those are some amazing games!

I think a TRON or Discs of TRON would also be amazing if it can have some glowing parts! I however am a dreamer.. haha

Thanks imstarryeyed!

​Those would all be awesome ideas!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I picked up one of these this past week and my 7-year-old daughter and I have been having a blast playing with it. The control scheme scales down nicely and the mini-trackball is pretty impressive with how responsive and precise it is. My daughter is writing down our high scores and drawing the Atari logo... reminds me of myself at that same age!

I expect I'll pick up some more of these Replicades in the future. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but something about the exactness of the cabinet design in miniature form (aside from some concessions to control size to make them a bit more playable) is really appealing to me. I'm not really into Street Fighter II, and I have doubts that it will be very satisfying to play in miniature form. But Tempest, Asteroids, and Dragon's Lair I expect will work pretty well. I've been trying to identify the other cabinet silhouettes on their packaging that indicate upcoming games... looks like Millipede might be one of them, and Marble Madness. Has anybody identified the other cabs?

• 1 year later...

I have a question for any fellow Centipede owners. A couple of months ago I was lucky to find one of these new at my local Best Buy. After trying to play it from time to time since then and always discovering the battery had died, I did some searching online to discover a firmware upgrade fixed a phantom battery leak issue. (It needs a special cable to install from your PC which New Wave Toys ships for free.)

So I fully charged the unit, then installed the firmware. (Curiously it failed at first. Then I tried again and it showed a success.) By the next day, my battery was showing half charged after no play. On day two it was showing no charge, but I could still power it on and from there I played two games. After three days, it shut down in the middle of booting up since it couldn't run any longer.

I've got to ask - does that seem right? I was most certainly expecting more battery life than that. I thought the firmware update went through. Is there any way to be sure?

@rennervision

That does not seem normal to me and mine.   I got the cable from them when it was announced and available and updated it with Windows 7 and it failed and caused the machine trackball to stop working completely.  After chatting with them they asked me to try flashing it with a Win 10 machine and it worked fine.  The USB in Win 7 had problems with their trackball and software.

Once I got the correct one on there I did not have any problems.  The phantom drain problem still was there but was greatly reduced.  The flash should not have problems making the unit work, I would say contact them and try Win 10 if you did not already.  I also noticed the cable they send or at least mine was super cheaply made and I had to repair mine before using it.

Edited by imstarryeyed

Thanks.  I'm thinking about opening it back up and replacing the battery.  If anyone has attempted such a mission and would like to share their experience, I would appreciate it as I have been known to occasionally screw up things like this.  ?  Regardless, I don't regret buying it.  I just don't want to get myself in a situation where after finding it in the wild I accidentally break it and then have to replace it with another that someone thinks is worth twice as much because it's so "VERY RARE!  L@@K!!"