IGNORED

Atari 800 Incognito Firmware Update

spudmanno5

Hi

So I've been trying to upgrade the firmware on my Incognito available from the FJC website:

http://atari8.co.uk/firmware/incognito/

So after installing the said files onto the CF card, i can successfully launch the uflash utility from the Side Loader menu. Now, the problem I have is that for some reason when I go to (attempt) to select the said .ROM files for updating the bios, etc, I can't seem to find them! Anyone have any clues? :-/

Thanks for your time

• Like 1

UFLASH needs DOS to read the ROM files. The new loader has DOS built in, but if you can't find the ROM files on D1:, perhaps the old one on your Incognito doesn't. Easiest solution is to mount everything on an ATR instead. Not sure whether I included an ATR, but I will when I release the update (which I've just finished).

Run the tool from the SDX prompt after first establishing that "DIR" displays the files on the disk image.

1. Use the loader to mount the ATR with the space bar

2. Go back to the setup menu, enable SpartDOS X, and press C to reboot

3. Type UFLASH.XEX at the DOS prompt

Note: if using this method, update the PBI BIOS last, since you're updating the code which handles the ATR you're reading. I normally wouldn't advocate flashing the BIOS from a PBI mounted disk image for this reason.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi

OK I have followed your instructions, I assume the only way to get from the loader back to the setup menu is by using the reset button. Unfortunately when I try this I get a device does not respond message (see photo below). Has this anything to do with the way my compact flash is setup? It is fat32 formatted, but is recognised just fine under side loader.

post-10730-0-75784100-1509063027_thumb.jpg

Edited by spudmanno5

There's no ATR mounted on drive 1, then. The original loader unmounts all disk images on entry so it's important you tag the ATR with D1: and then jump straight into setup and restart from there. If your D3: HDD partition works but ATRs don't, I'm not sure what to suggest other than the recommended route of using SIO2PC or SIO2SD for the update procedure.

Its frustrating. I select the atr image in the side loader using space (and D1: appears beside it), i then reset so it goes back to setup, then press the C button to coldboot to SpartaDos X, type in the command you said and i get the above message. I'll get a screengrab of the D3: partition later and see what you make of it. I'll have another bash at it later, but if i can't get anywhere i'll try the SIO2SD method you suggested.

Yes, I haven't touched it in the update department since you installed/repaired it for me a couple of years ago. Anyway, below is the screengrab of D3: (does that look right). I will have another bash tomorrow, possibly later on tonight. Is there anything else I should try? Is that atr you put together above 100%? If all else fails I will try the sio2pc/sd thingy. Having said that, even if I can't update the thing, it won't be a massive loss - as it works fine the way it is, just a shame really.

post-10730-0-31101200-1509135272_thumb.jpg

Well, the madness continues.... I decided to have another crack at it today. So here is how far i got so far.

Thinking it maybe a possible compact flash issue i decided to try this out (the APT Toolkit SPX ATR):

http://atari8.co.uk/apt/toolkit/

It seemed to recognize the compact flash ok. But i also decided to attach the firmware.atr image as D2: (the APT as D1:). I loaded from the Side loader, and lo and behold, it recognized that firmware.atr image!!! I executed the uflash.xex and on loading i was presented with a "RAM OS Required. DOS is using OS RAM" message. I carried on and now the .rom files that are used for the upgrading are now recognized on that firmware.atr image!!! I haven't tried anything beyond this point as i'm not sure about that earlier message (i will include screen grabs at the bottom), and i am clearly a noob at this and don't really know what i'm doing! :-P

post-10730-0-77525300-1509310586_thumb.jpg

post-10730-0-79274400-1509310626_thumb.jpg

Don't use UFlash with disk-based SpartaDOS. The flasher needs to run the OS in RAM which is why you're getting the warning message. The fact the ATR I made the other day works on D2: means it will also work on D1:, but there's something going on with regard to the procedure which is being overlooked.

There was an issue (and continues to be, in fact) with SpartaDOS X and the PBI BIOS (which handles your ATR mounting and hard disk partitions) caused by a bug in the CPLD code which allows cartridge writes to $D5xx to pass straight through to the U1MB IO RAM underneath. If that's clear as mud, just know that I had to code around the issue in later firmware revisions. ;)

If I were you, I'd follow the procedure I described earlier but using your SIO2xx device. Once you have the newer firmware, things will work more predictably, believe me. ;)

• Like 1

I have problem with flashing Incognito from Candle. Right now I have old-layout version. What I do:

1. Set Incognito with Spartados and 1MB of memory

2. Put into SIO2SD latest files (roms, uflash) on clean ATR disk

3. Start computer, load uflash from SDX

4. Uflash then do not recognize flash, so I setup 512kB/4kB (tried also defferent in act of desperation)

5. Try to load BIOS, PBI, LOADER, and all loads fine

6. Erasing goes well, but after that I cannot flash, and I come with this message, and freezed computer (keyboard do not respond):

http://www.atari.org.pl/forum/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=4134&preview

I was informed, that flash memory can be broken, but before I check flash by my friend's programmer I need to make sure I do everything correct up to this point.

BTW I can dump rom files with no problem.

Edited by michomis