IGNORED

Atari 800 Incognito Firmware Update

spudmanno5

I have access to other working incognito (from my other friend) with newest bios etc. If he dump his rom as an 512kB rom, can I use it to programm my flash SST39SF040-70-4I-NHE (already bought it) with an independent programmer kit (it will be Top3000) ? Or should this ROM be converted to bin format with other structure or so? I am newbie in this subject.

edit: or maybe better idea is to dump direclty using programmer kit, but I am not sure, if I get his incognito soon enough. ROM from uflash can be easy sent by email.

Edited by michomis

Good news! I received the SIO2SD adapter earlier today, so i put that firmware.atr on it. Fired it up, and it worked first time, and updating went without a hitch! After getting used to some of the new layout and changing some of the settings I now have a fully working updated Incognito! :D I even put on the original Uflash.xex and (firmware update).rom files and fired it up to see if they were recognised (when they previously weren't), and this time they were found! Which means I should be future proofed for any further updates in the future! Huzzah! :D

Many thanks for your help FJC! :)

Edited by spudmanno5
  • Like 3

My friend sent me 512kB ROM file dumped directly from his Incognito, and it accually worked (under programmer of course)! Now I have latest version. Cannot still make flash under uflash though. I have tried 3 flash roms with no effect. Always same problem: Flash error! Retry?

Flash memory is still unrecognisable at start of uflash.

In attachment ROM, that I have right now, the one dumped by my friend.

BARTEK.ROM

Edited by michomis

I guess bus instability of some kind. Latest versions of UFlash even work reliably on Rapidus hardware at 20MHz, so if you're getting flash errors on an otherwise known good flash chip, it's probably the old Phi2 timing issue.

Ataris can be inexplicably fussy about these things. Last week I worked on an 800XL with minimal upgrades which kept booting straight to the memory test unless I removed the AtariMax 32-in-1 OS board. I tried a second 32-in-1 board and it exhibited the same issue, and both boards exhibited the same problems in other machines. It turned out that all of the A8s tested with the board didn't like the AMD flash ROM in the 32-in-1. I changed it for an Amic chip and everything worked perfectly. Was the AMD flash ROM in either board faulty? Not at all.

Ok, but this Phi2 timing issue is related with incognito itself or an Atari? I could try to uflash it with another Atari 800, but no soon enough.

Assuming flashes are correct, and Ataris are correct, could it be problem with another chip on incognito board (xilinx)? I mean, could it be manfulctioning somehow?