IGNORED

Super Nintendo Game Genie?

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Genie

Super NES

Initially the Game Genie did not work with Super NES games that contain a performance enhancing chip, but did offer an updated version to address these problems with some games such as Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.[citation needed] The Game Genie remains incompatible with certain games, such as Star Fox[7] and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars[8], because those games use the extra pins that most other Super NES games never utilize, as there is no circuitry to accommodate these pins of the games' PCBs. It also has problems with the SNS-101 remodel SNES. When used with a SNS-101, only two codes can be used at a time, and they must be entered on the top and bottom lines of the Game Genie menu. There are three known versions of the SNES Game Genie (v1, v1.1, v2)[9] Images of v1 and v2 PCB have been posted and the difference is night and day, with v2 containing much fewer components on the PCB.[10] All three versions look exactly the same from the outside but when v1.1 is booted up, it will have dashes present before any code is entered. The only way to tell v1 and v2 apart is by opening the cart and checking the PCB.

Wikipedia can't always be trusted but this is what I was going by so if I'm wrong I apologize maybe someone else may know.

• 1 year later...

I know this is almost 2 years old but I just did not want to start another new thread.  I just wanted to update.  I finally found a version 2.

https://mvvg.blogspot.com/2019/07/my-game-genie-super-nintendo-v1-i-think.html

Version 2 is hard to find and tell just by looking at eBay.  But on reddit one guy said the red and white code book came with version 2.  But that does not help because they can be mismatched on eBay.  But on gbatemp dot net I found another post saying a guy bought a Super Nintendo game genie of eBay that looked different and had 3 tabs instead of 1 where the games are inserted.  So I scoured eBay and found some listings with the 3 tabs.  But unsure if all V2 are like that.  So I send messages to a few listings.  One guy replied back with photos.  Definitely a version 2.  So I took it.  22 dollars and 85 cents total.  Not bad for a version 2.

I just noticed something odd.  He also replied my message.  He updated the listing.  Last pic.  Where it says C3 on top right.  To the right of that empty.  And to the left is 8 resistors.  Under that is empty.  My link right above this post show it all filled up how odd.  To the right of C3.  And to the left 8 resistors like the other ebay link.  But under the first 8 there are another 8 resistors.  Not empty like the ebay link.  How odd.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Genie-V-2-0-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-SNES-tested-works/123828159971?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m43.l1123/7?euid=cde199f1e3b74cc0b1af11afe967007f&bu=43183313764&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123828159971&sojTags=bu=bu&srcrot=e11051.m43.l1123&rvr_id=0&rvr_ts=fd99baa716b0ac7b4e66409cfffb5ba6&ul_noapp=true&pageci=e5c24ed4-9bbe-4477-94fa-e82a87e38f95&redirect=mobile

Edited by 0078265317

I used to have one but I sold it when it deleted my Super Metroid save. All I wanted was a quick way to refill my missiles right before Mother Brain. I didn't play it again for like year then started a new game and swore of using cheat devices on any games with save functions. Now I don't use a Game Genie for serious gaming but only for messing around (like with that acid trip code thing for Super Mario Bros. lol or the one that turns all enemies into toad).

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

I have never opened mine up, but it has 1992 on the back and the three "teeth" on the cart slot thing.  Guess it's maybe a version 2?

Might have to try out after work and see if it has the dashes.  Might also open it up and look at the board since it has regular screws.

8 hours ago, Eltigro said:

I have never opened mine up, but it has 1992 on the back and the three "teeth" on the cart slot thing.  Guess it's maybe a version 2?

Might have to try out after work and see if it has the dashes.  Might also open it up and look at the board since it has regular screws.

Opening is the only way to tell.

2 hours ago, Eltigro said:

I'll open it up tonight and take pictures.  It doesn't really matter much to me as I don't have a SNES Jr and rarely ever use the Game Genie anyway, but it'll be interesting to know.

Because v2 is more rare if you hardly use it ebay it.  It will be worth more than a regular genie.

My Yoshi's Island cart isn't handy, but that Wikipedia quote in post 4 strikes me as rather misleading. It states that there was an updated version that works with some games like Yoshi's Island, but lacks the extra pins that games like Star Fox (Super FX) and Super Mario RPG (SA-1) utilize?

They can't have it both ways. Yoshi's Island is a Super FX game and I'm quite certain has those extra four or so pins to each side of the main cartridge contacts. So they either all work or none of these games with those extra pins do. 

3 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Came early today.  Works great. At first no.  But after lots blowing it worked.  Got to clean probably.  Whats best to clean contacts with?

Glass cleaner if dusty, 91% rubbing alcohol if dirty... brass polish if worn and extremely dirty.