IGNORED

Upgrade Atari 800XL Basic to revision C

Hello,

I picked up an Atari 800XL a few months back and will soon start to enjoy it. I understand that they came with BASIC revision B and later Atari models had a less buggy version called revision C. To upgrade the 800XL, are the two options (1) buy a revision C cartridge or (2) upgrade the BASIC ROM?

For option 2, would I just buy something like this off of eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162564860327?ul_noapp=true

I do have a EPROM burner so is another option to find revision C online and burn it to EPROM?

In either case, is it a matter of popping out revision B ROM and putting in revision C? (assuming the ROMs are socketed.)

Thanks

Hello,

I picked up an Atari 800XL a few months back and will soon start to enjoy it. I understand that they came with BASIC revision B and later Atari models had a less buggy version called revision C. To upgrade the 800XL, are the two options (1) buy a revision C cartridge or (2) upgrade the BASIC ROM?

For option 2, would I just buy something like this off of eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162564860327?ul_noapp=true

I do have a EPROM burner so is another option to find revision C online and burn it to EPROM?

In either case, is it a matter of popping out revision B ROM and putting in revision C? (assuming the ROMs are socketed.)

Thanks

Depends what you want Basic for, do you plan on programming? IIRC, the worst bug in Rev B was that it would sometimes freeze while you were typing in programs. If you aren't typing in programs, then B wasn't all that bad. But if you are planning on doing Basic programming, you may want to check out one of the improved 3rd party basics

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2

Depends what you want Basic for, do you plan on programming? IIRC, the worst bug in Rev B was that it would sometimes freeze while you were typing in programs. If you aren't typing in programs, then B wasn't all that bad. But if you are planning on doing Basic programming, you may want to check out one of the improved 3rd party basics

IIRC it was Rev.A(cartridge) that would lock-up. Rev.B added some extra bytes to the program every time it was saved, the extra bytes could be removed by using LIST to write the file to disk, then using ENTER to reload it.

• Like 2

While you're at it, burn extra Rev. C eproms and replace the ROM in the old Atari Basic carts too :D

Learning how to use the eprom burner I got from DropCheck has been on my to-do list for a long time.. I have lots of 600XL's and 800XL's that would be an easy chip swap upgrade.

While you're at it, burn extra Rev. C eproms and replace the ROM in the old Atari Basic carts too :D

Learning how to use the eprom burner I got from DropCheck has been on my to-do list for a long time.. I have lots of 600XL's and 800XL's that would be an easy chip swap upgrade.

It wouldn't just be a chip swap in the Rev.A BASIC cartridge, its PCB used 2-4k 24-pin ROM chips.

I have done it using a 16k EPROM cartridge PCB, disabling a trace to the edge connector as per the post linked below to make it only 8k.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/178027-memtop-issue-with-cartridge/page-1?do=findComment&comment=2223087

• Like 2

Yes, I plan to program.

Cheers

good place to deal with and to be honest good prices and sometime you can make good deal with them... better place to get stuff. and yes mostly cheaper with shipping than the places here in the states... they have a websites too...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Actually, I saw that and it was one reason that got me to post. I had asked the seller if it is just a matter of plugging the chip into the internal ROM socket and the seller said they didn't know. Kinda made me nervous that they didn't know.

Thanks

Actually, I saw that and it was one reason that got me to post. I had asked the seller if it is just a matter of plugging the chip into the internal ROM socket and the seller said they didn't know. Kinda made me nervous that they didn't know.

Thanks

It's a 24 pin ROM, just like the one already in there. If your mobo has sockets, it's plug it in and you're off. Easy!

• Like 1

If I burn an Eprom, what modern Eprom is recommended? I have a TL866A Eprom programmer.

As for the cartridge route. The C version is the one with the silver label?

Cartridge route you refer to is null and void being

false flag fake news as in you can't get there

from here.

Atari used extra special custom chips for all their

game cartridges with odd pin outs and chip select

polarities such that a standard eprom equivalent

doesn't exist. So you can't just plug and play.

On purpose. Think about the piracy that would

have existed if this hole were not plugged solid.

2364 at 300ns speed is the eprom used there, due

to lack of popularity you may find that finding

an eprom burner that does 2364 eproms may be a

challenge. But if you have that and you have the

code and you can find those eproms, then it's a

done deal.

Otherwise you can purchase an adapter board that

converts a standard 2764 over to 2364 pinout and

use that to sport a 2764 on your XL/XE mother

board.

http://store.go4retro.com/2364-adapter/

I've done this manually using a 2nd stacked

socket but it is a hack job and it looks like a

hack job. And that part can't be fixed.

The 23xx adapter also available there might be

made to work for Atari game cartridge eprom if

it were a SINGLE 8k chip, but the vast majority

of game cartridges are using two 4k chips which

don't fit the 2364 pin wise to begin with.

Cartridge route then really doesn't exist,

takeaway is it's not plug and play precisely

because Atari made it that way on purpose.

eBay guy is just being honest, he's never

done it so he wouldn't know but that's the

exact chip you need and it just drops in

there and works.

so why couldn't he dump the rev c rom and burn it to an eprom and put it in his machine exactly? Or get a rom floating about the net? and do the same.... In any event I still suggest the Atari Freak route... it will work... it will be very clean and cheapest..

as for using the cartridge ...rev c came on cart and evryone can plug in a cartridge.. you loose the cartridge port for anything else though... and I have put a prom in a generic cart with basic c burned to it... but again the best most beautiful way is to buy the chip and put it in to the mobo

Edited by _The Doctor__

It wouldn't just be a chip swap in the Rev.A BASIC cartridge, its PCB used 2-4k 24-pin ROM chips.

I have done it using a 16k EPROM cartridge PCB, disabling a trace to the edge connector as per the post linked below to make it only 8k.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/178027-memtop-issue-with-cartridge/page-1?do=findComment&comment=2223087

thanks Bill, that's the way to take those useless rev a carts and make them useful, well the cart shell anyway. With all these new old stock and ancient hoards coming to the surface it was time to bring the info back to light.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Use TurboBasic or Basic XL/XE. No reason for generic Atari basic any more.

Can you gives me links that would expand my knowledge on those two? I've never used an Atari so I'm not up to speed on the various BASICs. I assume with the two you recommended, the downside is only people with said BASICs can use programs written with them? Or do they compile to machine code?

Thanks

Can you gives me links that would expand my knowledge on those two? I've never used an Atari so I'm not up to speed on the various BASICs. I assume with the two you recommended, the downside is only people with said BASICs can use programs written with them? Or do they compile to machine code?

Thanks

Turbo-Basic XL was released by Frank Ostrowski in 1985, it's compatible with Atari Basic but faster, compilable and with additional commands.

At the end of this post you can find language and two manuals: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176545-topic-for-newbies/

• Like 2

Most of the knowledge base can be found at http://seriouscomputerist.atariverse.com/pages/language/language.basic.htm#

Turbo Basic and Basic XL/XE can except all of the Atari Basic syntax, but Atari Basic can not except any of the added improvements of TBXL or BASIC XL/XE.

Atari basic can be compiled with MMG basic compiler or ABC datasoft compiler. Turbobasic also has a linker and runtime to combine source code to self loading file (com, or xex, or ANY extension you want to use.

• Like 5