IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

RISC and POKEY chips

No such chips in a 2600.

I'm sorry A.J. My bad. It's been awhile since I cracked my 2600 open, but if memory serves, there's 2 other 40 pin DIP's mounted in sockets in addition to the 6507 and TIA that I can't identify (total of 4?). Or I'm mistaken about that as well. Perhaps this discussion belongs in another thread entirely.

Wester, thanks for the add.

There's three 'big' chips: 6507, TIA and RIOT and one small 4050 on heavy/light-six main boards.

Thanks Prodos8. The RIOT chip is what I meant.......I said RISC before....lol.......again, my bad.

What does the 4050 do?

What does the 4050 do?
It's a hex (six way) buffer. Both joystick fire button signals, the three luma signals, and I believe the sync signal are sent through it to get stronger/cleaner signals. This is one of the reasons six-switchers often have better picture quality than later console versions.

• 2 weeks later...
i just found atari brand #31459J at a goodwill yesterday. channel select hole but no switch.

i already have atari #71862E; no channel select switch hole.

Thanks for posting, I've updated the original list on page 1 thanks to the change Albert made. :thumbsup: :-D

• 1 month later...

I have a light sixer with heavy sixer internals, but not in the thick, heavy sixer case. Has the Sunnyvale, CA CX-2600 sticker on the bottom (S/N 85977M) and the Channel Select Hole (but no selector switch). The board is CO1O462, Rev B 77, and there is a piece of paper inside with 99 08600110. The case inside has the number CO11925 an "A" inside a square, then the letter L. I bought this with a pair of working CX-10 joysticks (no Hex inserts), a pair of working '77 Paddles, the gray power supply, and a bunch of early black label games...all for $25.00

I've probably owned about 5-6 true heavy sixers (with the thicker case) over the years.

Hey again...I sold a Heavy Sixer back in 02 on eBay...I no longer have those records of who I sold it to, but I did photo the sticker on the bottom...S/N 70796E. This was a true heavy inside and out. Just in case you really want a complete list of all heavy sixers in existence. Just for fun how many of these systems do you think are still in existence over say those that have been thrown away, lost, destroyed, etc, etc. Maybe 70%, maybe lower?

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased a complete Heavy-Sixer with the box, no s/n on the outside, dated 1977 with the chess piece on the front, hex disc joysticks present, no channel selector switch, S/N 29102H. It is absolutely mint condition. Also had the original Combat cartridge with the old-style box with the flip out on the front, first time I've seen one of these, pretty neat

68822R is the serial number on my Sears Telegames heavy 6. Also, it has no channel select and no hole either. Has the thick aluminum board case, flat ribbon interconnect. Has a piece of paper that looked like it was from an adding machine taped to the board, but it got in my way while doing a resolder so it got thrown away.

Edited by rickinhammond

• 2 weeks later...

Two more old new heavies. The lower number I'm keeping. The higher number I'm planning to sell. I dunno whether to marketplace it or eBay it. What is the value on one in good (not great) condition fully working and cleaned inside and out?

post-800-1191799054_thumb.jpg 55369M (will sell I think)

post-800-1191799047_thumb.jpg 006391 (will keep, definitely- lowest number on the list!)

Edited by ianoid

post-800-1191799047_thumb.jpg 006391 (will keep, definitely- lowest number on the list!)
Actually, that's another double sticker unit like mine and grimbasement's. However, I'm very happy to see it because it pretty much confirms that all the sub-10,000 numbers without a letter suffix are double sticker units. I still don't have a satisfactory explanation as to why these units have two stickers. My best guess is that they were units that didn't pass factory inspection and were refurbished before being packaged. Unfortunately, removing the top sticker without damaging the bottom sticker is all but impossible on these.

Oof sorry to confuse. I am posting two separate numbers above, not one unit with two stickers! I can't explain your double sticker thing. That is, both of these two different heavy sixers have only one serial number each!

The two sticker unit Christophero Sly was referring to is the one in the pic that he quoted. If you look closely at it you can see a second sticker under the serial number sticker, there have been a few of these posted, and the S/N on the top sticker seems to be consistent with the others that have been posted. I've categorized these in their own area since we don't positively know why they have two stickers.

I purchased a heavy sixer today and among all this talk about the double stickers discovered that the bottom sticker on this one is destroyed and illegible, presumably because the top sticker was ripped off. It definitely looks like something on top took the lower label off with it.

Is the serial number anywhere else on the unit? How badly does this affect value?

Oof sorry to confuse. I am posting two separate numbers above, not one unit with two stickers! I can't explain your double sticker thing. That is, both of these two different heavy sixers have only one serial number each!

The two sticker unit Christophero Sly was referring to is the one in the pic that he quoted. If you look closely at it you can see a second sticker under the serial number sticker, there have been a few of these posted, and the S/N on the top sticker seems to be consistent with the others that have been posted. I've categorized these in their own area since we don't positively know why they have two stickers.

Wester, I think adams_ale's console should be moved to the double sticker list. I think it's the source of some confusion in it's current location. It's difficult to tell in the photo that adams_ale posted but I'm pretty sure I can see two stickers and I think we have enough information about S/N formats now to safely assume that his console is a double sticker unit.

• 2 weeks later...