IGNORED

New possible interfaces?

Matej

So we have VBXE graphics card, SD cards, opl3 , covox, stereo, turbocard, soon wifi...

So what next? Some ideas -

- usb printer interface

- cheap ethernet and a800 network games

- lightpen that works on LCD

- lightgun that works on LCD

- cheap FPU/Math co-cpu

- DSP like on Falcon (music, 3D, math)

- cheap VR headset

- webcamera (motion games)

- portable fpga game handheld

- blitter (more sprites, bigger sprites)

- simple 3D card

- racing wheel

- touch tablet / touch screen

- cartridge bridge for cluster computing

What else?

• Like 2

Cool idea for a thread! Random idea... since 5200 has similar hardware as the 8-bit computers, a PBI/ECI device that supplants a 5200 OS, provides a 5200 cartridge port, and I guess it would need ports for the wacky 5200 joysticks :)

I've always been fascinated with the speed and wonder of PCI/ECI peripherals ever since I had an MIO back in the day, which makes me think of these ideas:

- Fast Floppy drive interface like the Black Box floppy board

- Fast PBI2PC system like SIO2PC, but way faster bus (direct USB?) to PC

- PBI Ethernet disk, mount ATR's from a NAS or CIFS/Windows Share

- Impressed with the work on the PCLINK/RespeQT direct PC file access in SpartaDOS X, which even preserves timestamps, a fast PBI Ethernet version would be super cool. Not sure if something like this could be supplanted on work done by the Atari 8-Bit Ethernet Project... http://www.atari8ethernet.com/

Bluetooth Audio, i.e. pair your Bluetooth speakers or headphones with your Atari and wirelessly enjoy your Pokey sounds. Parts have been ordered, no idea if it ever becomes a "project".

Awesome - I had been thinking about ordering this and fitting it inside the 1088XEL case, but may wait to see what you come up with.

http://ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Transmitter-3-5mm-A2DP-Stereo-Audio-Dongle-Adapter-for-PC-TV-iPod-MP4/131503064577

• Like 1

So we have VBXE graphics card, SD cards, opl3 , covox, stereo, turbocard, soon wifi...

So what next? Some ideas -

- usb printer interface

- cheap ethernet and a800 network games

- lightpen that works on LCD

- lightgun that works on LCD

- cheap FPU/Math co-cpu

- DSP like on Falcon (music, 3D, math)

- cheap VR headset

- webcamera (motion games)

- portable fpga game handheld

- blitter (more sprites, bigger sprites)

- simple 3D card

- racing wheel

- touch tablet / touch screen

- cartridge bridge for cluster computing

What else?

My advice:

Buy an XBOX, Playstation or PC.

Seriously you want so much to add, that the end result won't even be an A8 anymore.....

I mean....VR headset.....do you seriously expect that A8 to ever produce that power ?

About some ideas:

-the lightpen is being worked on/already done....

-steering wheel is easy: just convert an Atari Driving Control into an existing game driving wheel.

But off that list I do really like the FPGA portable idea. THAT is what I want....but still basic A8 system....

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

Bluetooth Audio, i.e. pair your Bluetooth speakers or headphones with your Atari and wirelessly enjoy your Pokey sounds. Parts have been ordered, no idea if it ever becomes a "project".

Uhh.....you can buy these ready to go, plug & play:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171029144826&SearchText=usb+audio+transmitter

You need a good one though.....or else the lag is way too long to be fun with any game (or even demo).....

USB interface exists, from AtariMax, interfaced through the cart port. However, it needs software. With the right software you could print, or use a USB ethernet cable, or use a USB WiFi dongle, or use a USB web camera.

For the Cart bridge: I like the concept, but I'm not certain how feasible it is. There's no interrupt line on the Cart port, so the applications would have to do a lot of polling. Perhaps use dualport SRAM on the $D5 page for data exchange. Or do a PBI/ECI interface that includes the /IRQ line; limits your users to 600xl/800xl/130xe/800xe, but that's not terrible. Plus, you can map much more shared memory between systems if you want.

Main problem with printing to modern printers probably is that they dont have native fonts and thus need an interface capable of rendering what it gets from the Atari into something printable. Thought about it but found it way beyond my abilities software-wise. I dont know if an Arduino could do it and when you need a Raspi you can use a SIO2PC type Software anyway.

I'd love to see a device that lets you hook a 3.5" (HD!) USB floppy to a computer. Then, we could get the experience of floppies, using 20-year-old technology, rather than 30-year-old technology.

We could still make disks and label them and store them, but also have them be slightly more modern.

• Like 1

Hello guys

The biggest problem with modern printers will probably be that without a different driver for each and every printer, you use a lot of printers. Plus you'd need the commands used for all the stuff a modern printer can do. (Plus my Canon BubbleJet produced squares instead of dots)

We had a USB steering wheel connected to the USB cartridge, which BTW wasn't developed by AtariMax but (IIRC, it's been a while) by Guus Assmann. And it worked. But you needed one specific steering wheel.

Sincerely

Mathy