IGNORED

Atari 8bit scene = Hardware scene?

Heaven/TQA

Emkay knows more of the A8 than 99% of the community (as you can see below). Most likely he's the one who gave Avery the necessary information needed to create the video player. So I'm sure he understands. His previous comments must have been a typo or something...

Do you guys this intentionally?

Who thought of using ANTIC DMA to read an external data stream for video playback in the 80s?

It was, we did, emkay... I constantly think there is just something lost in the translation, what is your primary language? Something just make things confrontational...like me you can take a forceful tone and have an unfortunate choice of words, add some emotion to it a mistake and then it's a mess.... let's be honest some of the community have forgottern and are forgetting more than you could ever know about these machines... being part of the design/hardware/firmware testing etc.. some of what was done lived in theory was produced and then based on hopes and supposition were then given the lets try everything and see what it can do treatment... rinse repeat...

as for for ANTIC DMA you are partially correct but was not viable and scrapped.... do you know how expensive drives were? and how limited in space they were and other issues... as per my ancient quote that echos thru out time ANTIC is a madman... I am glad to see people understand ANTIC better today and realize while that is the case... ANTIC is not insane.... there may yet be one or two more surprises from people delving into that arena...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

If people, who have nothing to say, still were saying nothing, my posts wouldn't always been dragged to look off topic. I know more of the A8 than 99% of the community. Even after explaining, why I don't code, only dumb comments come from them.

It's really ridiculous.

[Note: The above emkay quote was pulled from the "Any 3D game with flatshading on A800?" thread in the programming forum.]

OMG... I was following that thread at the time and I somehow overlooked that comment. Absolutely f***ing hilarious. Thanks! :D

• Like 3

OMG... I was following that thread at the time and I somehow overlooked that comment. Absolutely f***ing hilarious. Thanks! :D

Yeah, definitely a prize-winning comment. Only Irgendwer awarded him at the time.

I had something in mind, but figured better to let it go and not disrupt the thread anymore than it already was.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

The world is different, instead of people working to join a demo crew..... and really working hard to get in....demo crews have to recruit these days.... sometimes it's just a few people enjoying what they do hanging out and they just mess about and make a demo.... of course this could turn into a party or could come from a party... It's not like the old days where I live... I can't just walk out the door and bump into an Atari user..... I sometimes have to drive somewhere to meet up....

but valuable question is that how many active ppl are on a8 (active means software and hardware vise?)?

20? compared to C64 i tend to say... at least "less"...

I don't follow C64 scene - how many active demo coders are there now ?

I sure wish Jaguar got 10% of HW mods that 6502 gets...

but valuable question is that how many active ppl are on a8 (active means software and hardware vise?)?

20? compared to C64 i tend to say... at least "less"...

Besides that software development has stalled in the lasst couple of years (even nicer to see the quality peak in 2007) , how many good games would have been there without the ABBUC?

IF you have a look back, particular when comparing to the C64, People mostly did software to show what the C64 can do. There also approached very polished games. Stuff like the REU is not "recommended". The ATARI always has been a computer for some hardware experiments back in the days and now.

Edited by emkay

Besides that software development has stalled in the lasst couple of years (even nicer to see the quality peak in 2007) , how many good games would have been there without the ABBUC?

Is this supposed to be more hilarious dialogue?

Here's a recent starter list outside ABBUC:

Time Pilot

Rick Dangerous

Bosconian

Chimera+

Manic Miner

Bobby Bearing

Sabateur

Pang

Laura

Rat Catcher

etc., etc.

Do I need to go on?

• Like 4

The hilarious part is that your answer was serious.

To know much about the Atari isn't that much.

And particular those who always nag on my posts, for what cause they force to do that, seem to think they know much, but only prefer to put nonsense to it .

And this is my last reaction to this misbehavior, as it's only like throwing oil to the fire.

Write about the Atari ... or just shut up or throw the device on that you write to this forums out of the window.... or else.

Is this supposed to be more hilarious dialogue?

Seems so, as you still don't get the point....

I asked for number, you set names, so let's do some closer look...

Time Pilot

Mising gaming finetune, resulting in unplayable circumstances

Rick Dangerous

Final version?

Bosconian

Best game in the last years, if finished.

Chimera+

You know the difference between a "new game" and an "updated game" ?

Manic Miner

Well done conversion, great gfx adaption. The sound needs a lot "polishing"....

Bobby Bearing

Well done conversion, great gfx adaption. The sound needs a lot "polishing"....

Saboteur

You got one point.

Pang

Laura

Another two points

Rat Catcher

Rat Catcher is a new game, referring to the A8 , nicely done.

Do I need to go on?

You forgot Strictly Gone Bananas and ATARI BLAST!

Seems so, as you still don't get the point....

I asked for number, you set names, so let's do some closer look...

Really, you asked for numbers, where?

Did you provide any numbers yourself for the period you're talking about?

Mising gaming finetune, resulting in unplayable circumstances

Final version?

You know the difference between a "new game" and an "updated game" ?

You said "development has stalled in the years" since 2007.

Which one of the games you're critisizing here fails to meet the criteria of "development"?

You forgot Strictly Gone Bananas and ATARI BLAST!

I didn't forget about it. I said the list I'm posting is a "recent starter".

Obviously if we're talking about "after 2007" the list will be huge.

Edited by MrFish

I think from 200 to 500.

So we need something like pre-payed gaming service. And 200 users will pay 10euro every 2 months (new game).And we will give 2000euro to team/individual for every game.

But those games must have quality of Zybex or Draconus games or better.

That money will be for hours of work during weekends (can not imagine full time atari developer) and as motivation.

Maybe as pdf magazine and game as virtual atr coverdisk.Some kind of antipiracy key should be included.Personally I will pay 10euro (1x caffe latte or cinema) for good game or software...

once fun becomes work no one wants to do it anymore....

Yep and that's where my XEL project is as well. For the most part it was fun developing it and going through the troubleshooting/refinement process, but now not so fun as I scramble to finish the documentation aspects :( .

- Michael

• Like 3

oh Atari headquarters was fun, perhaps a little too fun, that lead to a lot of mis-management issues and perhaps.....oh my let's not and say we did... as in most cases in life, everything isn't all one way or the other... their has to be a balance, a mix if you will....

• Like 1

oh Atari headquarters was fun, perhaps a little too fun, that lead to a lot of mis-management issues and perhaps.....oh my let's not and say we did... as in most cases in life, everything isn't all one way or the other... their has to be a balance, a mix if you will....

Exactly; too much work, no fun; too much fun, no work.

• Like 1

There are those rare moments when the work is so much fun, that productivity is at an all time high. I remember a time like this back in 1986 when I was working on a big R&D project with one other Engineer. We were so into what we were doing, that we put in 70-80 hour weeks for several months to bring it into a working, finalized state. It seemed like every day we were required to learn something new in order to proceed. That for me was the key that made it so enjoyable, because it created an atmosphere where each day was a new and exciting adventure.

To add to this. I really believe strongly that an owner of any company should make his number one top priority about making sure that his employees are fulfilled and happy with what they are doing. The whole idea of the customer being number one, and more important than your own employees is a bunch of BS if you ask me. On the contrary when your employees feel that they are truly important to the company, everything else will just naturally fall inline, including good customer service.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 6