IGNORED

So how powerful is the Jaguar exactly?

JaguarVision

I've been following classic consoles across multiple forums for years including this one and the general consensus is that if the 68k didn't bottle neck the console and got full access to the bus and the risc processors the Jaguar would be around a psx but at half the orice.

The other thing I heard from Jaguar developers, people who know old game hardware, journalists, etc. Is that the Jaguar is more powerful than the 3DO.

So here's the thing, where is the Jaguar exactly? I mean it's much stronger than the 32X, but 3DO? Can Jaguar even run Need For Speed?

Alien vs. Predator and Fight For Life are impressive for the time but 3DO Space Hill and Grid Runners look better technically than those games. Add that Rayman does not have the clarity of 3DO games and it makes me wonder where the Jaguar is.

I'm assuming the 32X is the best comparison to the Jaguar? It if you believe the above is true what games do you think show the Jaguar is better than the 3DO.

Hope some Atariage guys can help with this.

I looked at the jag as somewhere around the 32x and SFX games level. Definitely more powerful than the previous gens SNES and genesis, as stock consoles. Probably less as it sits than 3do though. Maybe if it was better designed without so many choke points it would be better, but that's just speculation. I believe many games just used familiar 68k and used the rest sparingly, that shows how good just that one processor is for sure, and its a 32 bit I believe. Says something about the 68k that it ran in early 80's machines up to the late 90's though. There's a versital chip for you.

• Like 1

Being a 64-bit machine, the Atari Jaguar was precisely 4 times as powerful as the 16-bit Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. The 32-bit 3DO, 32X and PlayStation were nice systems, but only half as powerful as the Atari Jaguar. The Nintendo 64 was equal in power to the Atari Jaguar.

There, I did the math mofos. Now when do I get the girl from the infomercial?

• Like 10

...gens...stock consoles...

No! BAD! We already did that in the other thread! :P :-D

Being a 64-bit machine, the Atari Jaguar was precisely 4 times as powerful as the 16-bit Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. The 32-bit 3DO, 32X and PlayStation were nice systems, but only half as powerful as the Atari Jaguar. The Nintendo 64 was equal in power to the Atari Jaguar.

At the risk of actually entertaining the kind of nonsense this thread is destined to invoke, "bitness" and "power" are both nebulous, ill-defined terms that mean nothing; for being half as "powerful" as the Jaguar, the PlayStation runs circles around it. ;) :-D

I'm also sensing/hoping that you're taking the topic exactly as seriously as it merits and I'm just slow on the uptake. :P :-D

Now when do I get the girl from the infomercial?

Gotta remember, that was 20 years ago; and two decades of Jaguar have aged her into this person:

hqdefault.jpg

Sunrise, sunset. :P :-D

• Like 4

I really don't see where you find the Jaguar is comparable to SFX. Star Fox was more pixel like and linear while moving at like 5fps. Cybermorph as bad as an into it was, was free roaming and had more on screen including audio(voice.)

I figured the 32x is likely the best comparison but I think Alien Vs. Predator muddies the water a bit on that comparison. Also some of the home brew, granted they were A.D.

I've been following classic consoles across multiple forums for years including this one and the general consensus is that if the 68k didn't bottle neck the console and got full access to the bus and the risc processors the Jaguar would be around a psx but at half the orice.

WRONG

And now it's confirmed that you're trolling.

• Like 2

Alien vs. Predator and Fight For Life are impressive for the time but 3DO Space Hill and Grid Runners look better technically than those games. Add that Rayman does not have the clarity of 3DO games and it makes me wonder where the Jaguar is.

LOL, Space Hill and Grid Runners... at least mention games that actually exist on the 3DO. And Rayman lacking the "clarity" of 3DO games... i dont know what to make out of this post.

What do you say Madman, the "fumes" seem to be strong with this one.

this thread pops up what every 3 weeks, now you think you are the only genius to come up with this question?

how powerful is it? just powerful enough to run jag games, now spend the next 2 days telling us how the PS1 didn't kick its ass cause it doesn't fit your opinion

• Like 2

I don't know yet if I'd say that you're trolling, but if you're not, then you're obviously not very bright. You know, a Jaguar forum exists here for a reason. And guess where I'm moving this thread to?

Lol.....I thought about moving it but figured he would have a better chance of not getting torn to pieces outside of the Jaguar forum.

• Like 1

*snipped* the 3DO..

*snipped* but 3DO?

*snipped* but 3DO Space Hill and Grid Runners look better technically than those games.

*snipped* the clarity of 3DO games...

*snipped* …what games do you think show the Jaguar is better than the 3DO.

We get it dude, you really like the 3DO and are feeling defensive about your infatuation with it. The thing is though that no one can prove to you that the Saturn, Jaguar, or any other failed console is objectively better than your favorite failed console; it's all a matter of personal preference. Sure, you could try to reason out why one is superior to the other with a techno babble circle jerk about graphical processing whosawhatsits all day long, but at the end of the day they're all failures. I just happen to think the Atari Jaguar was a glorious failure, and clearly you feel the same way about the 3DO. So stop screwing around on the internet and go pet your 3DO, tell it you love it, and remind it that no other failed 90's system will ever be as pretty as it. :party:

• Like 5