IGNORED

Are you an Ace of Aces?

DanthWader

post-61918-0-76899400-1509414461.jpg

This game is amazing! I just recently picked this up CIB for $10. I'm loving it and i'm not even into flight sims.

This game just gets so difficult when going for ace status. Any secrets? Is it an impossible mission? :grin:

What the hell are cannon shells and how the hell do I use them?

I can complete all the missions, I'll get to the subs drop the rest of the bombs and (TRY TO) hightail it back home.

If my compass isn't already damaged by now the first enemy I encounter usually takes that out at this point.

I end up doing circles around the map going back and fourth between the map and defending myself from bogeys. Ill run out of rockets or guns or fuel... usually all within a few minutes.

Can you veer off the path? I follow orders but also I'm tempted to take out the V-1's first because They are so close to spawn. Is this possible? It always takes me to the bombers first then the V-1's then the train and finally the subs.

I just want to be an Ace, please, teach me your ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0P1Bk8Cx4&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

Ive never really played much of flight sims, but I do love flying planes in BF1. I tried again tonight to run through all four missions I could not for the life of me get the train in my bomb bay. My altitude was at 1100 feet but I was going about 150-200 mph, thats never been a problem before.

This game is just so basic its incredibly fun. It seems like it would be a slow paced game but keeps my heart rate up like i've chugged a gallon of monster.

Why it is so hard for Ace of Aces status??

hmmmmmmmm.... I don't remember. I've started an Atari 7800 video series and I could drag Ace of Aces out and give it a go for the show. I remember beating the pants of it many moons ago (let's just say, I Used to Kick its Ace), but I don't remember anything at all about acquiring different ranks. I'll look into it.

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 1

I don't remember anything at all about acquiring different ranks.

I think its just in the manual that if you check and complete all four missions and return home you get "ace of aces" status. I'm not sure if the game end and its says "You're an AceHole". I'm under the assumption it just ends at the score screen.

• 1 month later...

I dug this out and finally completed a train mission. I'm still having trouble hitting the u-boats. In the past, I didn't gather that the way to play this game is constantly watch the dashboard and occasionally engage in bombing and dogfighting. Pretty clever game, really. I do with they used the right button + joystick to select views rather than the double-tap mechanic.

A sh...game....one of the few...sh...games for the 7800

Curious, did you like Ace of Aces on any platform?

I loved flight sims but they are simply too time consuming these days. For that reason, I'll never go back and play my favorite of the early 1990s, F-15 Strike Eagle III.

What I love about Ace of Aces is how the designers dealt with the constraints of the platform. Like all flight sims, you must to read the instruction manual, but in this case it's only a few pages long. During gameplay, I still get the feeling of working with the controls and using the displays (radar, compass, etc...) while also dogfighting and bombing. My only major complaint is the choppy cloud movement when looking forward. It makes the dogfighting unnecessarily difficult.