IGNORED

New Discovery: Get analog PS1/2 and N64 controllers playing 5200 games

ave1

Here's a presentation of my latest adapter discovery for the 5200. In it I discuss bohoki's PC to 5200 adapter as well as some of the unsuccessful attempts by a couple different 5200 forum members here on Atariage in the early 2000s to get Playstation to 5200 controller adapters manufactured. Enjoy:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty astounded that it worked!

I was playing my 5200 earlier today with a PS2 Hyperkin controller, and I noticed something. On Galaxian, after losing a life the red light on the adapter goes out until your ship reappears on the screen (and at that point it lights back up again). Then I have to press the center analog button so the left thumbstick is able to be used again.

This was not happening in other games I had tried, so that's kinda interesting.

Good to be hearing from you, David. :)

Edited by ave1

I was pretty astounded that it worked!

I was playing my 5200 earlier today with a PS2 Hyperkin controller, and I noticed something. On Galaxian, after losing a life the red light on the adapter goes out until your ship reappears on the screen (and at that point it lights back up again). Then I have to press the center analog button so the left thumbstick is able to be used again.

This was not happening in other games I had tried, so that's kinda interesting.

Thanks for heads up, just ordered that same Innovation PSX/N64 to 15 pin Gameport adapter; an uncommon item.

I bought a pair of the PC to 5200 adapters you mentioned here on Atari Age a while back. Bohoki was clearing out older stiff wire versions. Ordered a couple miniature Arcade buttons for the start button, connector holders and a project box. Maybe might put it together this weekend.

15 pin Gameport PC to 5200 adapters - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268574-some-more-15-pin-gameport-pc-to-5200-adapters/?do=findComment&comment=3821602

DnbCoW2.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

Nice. I got playstation 1 gey controllers thumbstick working on pacman and few others. Great for pole position. But the playstation ultra racer controller with big round knob does not work like it should or with analog for that matter. And got a NES Beeshu Zoomer flight stick working on pole position also. Not the smoothest but works.

Edited by 0078265317

There are now 3 ways to get the Playstation controllers working on the 5200. The 1st two only let the Playstation thumbstick work like a digital d-pad, and don't get the PS1 Ultraracer/NeGcon/steering wheels working at all. The third option offers full analog compatibility (thumbsticks are analog on the Dual Shock and N64 controllers, and the PS1 racing controllers are compatible). It also works well for controlling the digital games like Pac-man.

1) Plug in two adapters together: Tototek Playstation to Genesis/Megadrive controller adapter and the Masterplay Clone (made by Atariguy1021 here at Atariage). This gives two button- not just one- compatibility. My fifth Wired-Up Retro YouTube video shows how to do this in detail.

2) I believe you can still get a Playstation to Atari controller adapter off the "Kipper2k" website that can be plugged into the Masterplay Clone. With these two adapters plugged in together you should get digital control. I haven't tried it myself, but it is likely to work. I think this may only give one button compatibility.

3) Plug in the Innovation Smart Joy Emulator Adapter (Playstation and N64 to PC 15 pin controller adapter) into The PC 15 pin to Atari 5200 controller adapter (made by bohoki here at Atariage). This gives full analog controls and two button support in the 5200 games as well as nice d-pad control in the digital games like Pac-man. This is the best option.

Is my Atari going bad? Color changing is not normal.

If that's not the game itself changing to preprogrammed "screen-saver" colors, then I suppose there might be something wrong with your 5200. Not sure whether Pac-Man has the screen saver feature or not. . .

I have a quick question on the Zoomer flight yoke. Is there a way to tell if it's giving analog driving in Pole Position or basic digital steering? I couldn't tell in the video...

:_( Sadly, my 5200 gets very little use (none in the past 3 months). My original joystick just plain SUCKS! The Masterplay Clone looks interesting to me as it would would with my Wico Ball, but me being a tad of a cheapskate and the 5200 not being my primary system, I don't want to spend more on an adapter than I did on the 5200 itself with all the cartridges combined.

Okay, that makes sense.

Regarding analog on NES, there is an Arkanoid paddle that's truly analog. Kinda wondering if the Zoomer also has true analog...

That is what he said. But could still be going bad. I mean before it was just snow and no picture so he fixed something. But not sire why the colors are changing. Somebody else here had a similar issue once if I remember.

Here was one thread on similar issue.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/156604-5200-color-shift/

This thread mentions joust game as green landings to start with and then becomes brown after 5 minutes. I just got a copy of joust yesterday in the mail from amazon and same thing. Thr ground is brown. But the rest is green. Except after 2 or 3 minutes does not change to brown.