IGNORED

Release of new game WAR ROOM

erichenneke

Here is the updated release of WAR ROOM !

post-38281-0-39432100-1509486134_thumb.jpg

Compared to the ABBUC version, this update now features:
- PAL and NTSC execution speed and gameplay is the same
- Atari 800 supported
- More characters
- Ability to exit from gameplay back to titlescreen (START)
- Minor improvements to graphics and sound effects
- Demonstration mode that automatically runs after sitting idle
- Other little things

Enjoy !!!

See attached ATR and XEX files for download.

OH! … and HA P P Y
H A L L O W E E N !!!! :)

Eric and Rob

WARROOM.ATR

WARROOM.xex

• Like 23

Dear Eric, is it a multiplayer game?

I mean, does it support more than two joysticks?

Stefan

Yes and No...

Variants: a) zero players, CPU vs. CPU, b) one player: Player vs. CPU (or CPU vs. Player), c) two players: Player 1 vs. Player 2 (or Player 2 vs. Player 1). One or two joysticks are enough (no multijoy support, no paddles support, etc. just up to two joysticks in port 1 and port 2)...

• Like 1

Hmmm,

how about a gameplay video ?

Otherwise Eric may upload the instructions here...

Thanks! I see that the video is from the ABBUC version. The latest software that Eric posted yesterday is much better for those on PAL. The ABBUC version was a little sluggish on PAL.

I also wanted to acknowledge Playsoft and his great player editor http://www.playsoft.co.uk/aplayed.html

Eric and I used the player editor to update characters and create new characters. We were frantically using it yesterday because we really wanted to get it released on 'H'alloween.

• Like 3

Thanks! Is there a link to the instructions?

Here is a War Room user's manual.

WarRoom Manual 10-31-2017.pdf

That said, it's a pretty straight-forward game... shoot the heck out of your opponent before they do the same to you! :-D

First player to win 3 rounds wins the entire match.

-Eric

Edited by erichenneke
  • Like 3

Hmmm,

how about a gameplay video ?

Otherwise Eric may upload the instructions here...

Here is a War Room user's manual.

attachicon.gifWarRoom Manual 10-31-2017.pdf

That said, it's a pretty straight-forward game... shoot the heck out of your opponent before they do the same to you! :-D

First player to win 3 rounds wins the entire match.

-Eric

Okay, thanks! You know, my first favorite 8-bit games were Star Raiders and Star Warrior and I think I am know permanently programmed to assume there may be keyboard use in the game for every game. Anyway, the manuals are always extra fun.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Thank you very much for making and sharing WAR ROOM, Eric and Rob! :thumbsup:

WAR ROOM is really hard: it took me 5 minutes to win my first round and nearly 15 to win my first game. :-o

WAR ROOM's CPU AI is aggressive and tough; it is almost eerie the way the CPU AI shadows the player's moves, blocking him off from ammo re-loads, and generally attempting and often succeeding to out-nimble the player.

The gameplay consists of one-on-one shooting against either a human opponent or vs. the CPU. The object is to shoot and kill the opponent before he does the same to you.

Running out of ammo and reloading is central to the game. So is physically positioning your player to outmaneuver your opponent: when you grab one of the two ammo reload supplies that appear onscreen frequently, the other ammo reload supply disappears, preventing the other player from reloading and forcing him to try to grab the next reload...

I've only been playing WAR ROOM for a few days but attempting to be first to ammo reload supplies is the best tactic I've come up with so far. Need to practice more!

"Be aggressive!...B-E-A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!...Be aggressive!" Perhaps somewhat like one on one hockey without rules...the CPU will aggressively pursue and block/check the player's movements...relentlessly! :jango:

If you want a challenging singe player game, consider giving WAR ROOM a try, but you've been warned! :cool:

Both weird and very cool to be able to set CPU vs. CPU and watch the AI battle itself. You can also switch characters of the CPU by first changing the CPU to player 1, pick the character you want to fight with the joystick, and then change it back to CPU-controlled. You can also make the CPU the player on the left and you control the right...player setups/configurations are completely flexible. This flexibility adds a lot to WAR ROOM. Also the various different characters are cool and fitting for the game and add to replay as well (though I'm still only on the first third of the arc of the learning curve with this one).

Thank you again very much Eric and Rob for making and sharing WAR ROOM for A8!

Best Regards

Fingolfin

Edited by Fingolfin
  • Like 3