IGNORED

sc1224: throw it away or give it away?

PeBo

The Red "gun" on my SC1224, leaving me only the GB of the RGB. Luckily someone I've purchased from in the past has an SC1435 available that I'll pick up tomorrow.

which leaves the question of what to do with this SC1224. Being the old fart that I am, I remember the days of Tube TV's where everything was repairable, but I'm not so sure about 80's/90's era CRT VDT's. I also hate to see an Atari monitor end up in electronics recycling, since there are likely so few of them left now, 30 years after their manufacture.

So if there is someone in the Toronto area (I have no intention of shipping it anywhere). that would like it for parts or repair, and is willing to pick it up (Bathurst/Eglinton), it's yours for the outrageous price of $0 (plus 15 % tax)

If I don't get a reply to this or a PM within the next week, it's being put out on electronics-waste pick up day.

I'm only posting this on Atariage,

• Like 1

If you are e-wasting them, you should do two things:

1. If the monitor cord is attached, cut it off and save it for an ST monitor cable project. (The 13-pin din plugs are a pain to solder, so if it's done already, half the cable is complete already :thumbsup: )

2. Carefully peel off the "Atari SC1224" badge on the front and stick it somewhere fun...like on your replacement monitor.

If you don't have any use for a chopped off monitor cable or an Atari SC1224 badge, I can gladly take it off your hands. :P

• Like 1

yeah I have a dead Sc1224 I am recycling myself. I now have the ST system running through a NEC multisync monitor. love it. So the one that one power up is going to the BIN.. I have 2 other SC1224 and a SC125 mono. still left.

James

Well I was supposed to be picking up a SC1435 this week-end, but I haven't heard from the guy yet. If I don;t her back from him by Sunday night, I could be interested in one of those SC1224's if you'd like to part with one.

If you are e-wasting them, you should do two things:

1. If the monitor cord is attached, cut it off and save it for an ST monitor cable project. (The 13-pin din plugs are a pain to solder, so if it's done already, half the cable is complete already :thumbsup: )

2. Carefully peel off the "Atari SC1224" badge on the front and stick it somewhere fun...like on your replacement monitor.

If you don't have any use for a chopped off monitor cable or an Atari SC1224 badge, I can gladly take it off your hands. :P

Already figured I'd keep the cord if no one local wanted the monitor.

Hadn't thought of the case badge!...yuppers gonna keep that now that you mention it! (have a "Built for Windows 10" badge on my toilet - the only place I could find that was suitable)

• Like 4

Well I was supposed to be picking up a SC1435 this week-end, but I haven't heard from the guy yet. If I don;t her back from him by Sunday night, I could be interested in one of those SC1224's if you'd like to part with one.

Keep e-mailing him, those SC1435's (NTSC versions) are extremely coveted, and rarely show up on eBay. I have one and wouldn't part with it for the world. :)

• Like 2

Keep e-mailing him, those SC1435's (NTSC versions) are extremely coveted, and rarely show up on eBay. I have one and wouldn't part with it for the world. :)

Emailed him today...just hard to get him to commit to a pick-up date - and seeing as funds are VERY limited right now, I could easily throw the money at something far less useful (like groceries) if he doesn't set a new date soon. He just sold a bunch of stuff on eBay, so I get that he has to get that stuff packed and shipped off first, but I don't plan to be at his place longer than the 2 minutes required to hand him cash and pick up the monitor - hell, I'll probably have a cab waiting out front! At least he IS taking the time to test it before handing off, and that IS worth a couple days extra waiting for.

But I know what you mean...I had a 1435 back-in-the-day and absolutely loved it. Just hope his has survived the years well (or at least better than the 1224 that I just killed).

• Like 2

Emailed him today...just hard to get him to commit to a pick-up date - and seeing as funds are VERY limited right now, I could easily throw the money at something far less useful (like groceries) if he doesn't set a new date soon. He just sold a bunch of stuff on eBay, so I get that he has to get that stuff packed and shipped off first, but I don't plan to be at his place longer than the 2 minutes required to hand him cash and pick up the monitor - hell, I'll probably have a cab waiting out front! At least he IS taking the time to test it before handing off, and that IS worth a couple days extra waiting for.

But I know what you mean...I had a 1435 back-in-the-day and absolutely loved it. Just hope his has survived the years well (or at least better than the 1224 that I just killed).

I know the feeling, as I've been down that road before. With that being said, I'd starve myself or find some scraps to eat with water if it came down to that or an SC1435. They almost never show up on eBay, and if they do, they're broken. If you are getting this monitor for anything less than $150, grab it, as it could easily fetch double or triple that based on rarity alone. If you are getting it for $50 or less, don't even bother testing it. It's worth it no matter what.

Although it's a great monitor, it does have one fatal flaw: complete lack of composite ports. In 1991 I had said that I made a HUGE mistake picking it over the 1084S. However, looking back the 1084S is is common and not all that expensive.

Note: This is if it's NTSC. PAL versions apparently were more common.

• 2 weeks later...