IGNORED

Got a RLOD on my freebie Fat PS3, and decent repair still available?

Rick Dangerous

Even if you get it fixed and it happens again when you're playing a disc, it will get stuck in the drive. Sony really screwed that up. I'd get a slim version and keep it as ventilated and dust free as possible for a primary system. The super slim looks cheap, but it has less moving parts and I like mine so far. Those fat versions are time bombs. Back up your data if you haven't already.

Edited by xenomorpher
  • Like 1

Even if you get it fixed and it happens again when you're playing a disc, it will get stuck in the drive. Sony really screwed that up. I'd get a slim version and keep it as ventilated and dust free as possible for a primary system. The super slim looks cheap, but it has less moving parts and I like mine so far. Those fat versions are time bombs. Back up your data if you haven't already.

Wow I have one of the fat PS3s and mainly use it every day to watch streaming (YouTube, Amazon) I do have content like SingStar songs and DLC games downloaded to the console.

When you say back up the data what do you mean? Isn't content tied to the system itself? What would backing up do?

Wow I have one of the fat PS3s and mainly use it every day to watch streaming (YouTube, Amazon) I do have content like SingStar songs and DLC games downloaded to the console.

When you say back up the data what do you mean? Isn't content tied to the system itself? What would backing up do?

I was taking about game saves. Those I think are tied to your account and can't be used on another system until you sign in, but I never tried it either way. You can only back up DLC I think for when you want to upgrade the hard drive since it is tied to that system as you pointed out.

https://www.ubreakifix.com/game-console-repair/playstation-3-repair

These guys in Canada are still offering the YLOD repair...I would like to avoid international shipping if possible though.

This local (!!) shop offers the repair but then when I talked to them they said they don't like to do them anymore:

https://www.wirescomputing.com/game-console-repair/

They said they are basically a pain in the ass time suck and they always wind up breaking again.

Why oh why did the most awesome PS3 also have to be the one with a shelf life...

I will give you the name of the guy that did mine, but my experience with him was not great. He has plenty of 5 star ratings from others though. Maybe my experience was a fluke.

So here's my story:

I had a YLOD on my PS3 and sent it for repair. The repair went long and I messaged the guy many times but he never responded to my communication. After three months I figure I'm not getting the PS3 back so I complain to the payment provider (PayPal) and ask for a refund. The complaint works it's way through PayPal and it gets to the point where they say they will talk to the service provider. At this point I am hoping to just get my money back, and not my PS3. Maybe a week after the complaint, to my surprise, I get a package in the mail - it's my PS3 - I plug it in and it works! So after all the teeth pulling I am relieved that I got my working PS3 back.

So yes I have a working PS3 now, but only time will tell how good of a job was done. So far I've been babying the PS3 and not pushing it too hard. I do plan on pushing it a little harder soon though.

This is the guy I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation-3-PS3-Reballing-repair-service-One-year-warranty-RoHS-standard/291290818089?epid=1150079233&hash=item43d2492629:g:T5MAAOSwQiRUohan

He also has a website, but if you decide to use him I would recommend you go through eBay (I didn't). That way you have 2 levers you can pull - ebay and PayPal.

Edited by chue
  • Like 2

My original launch Fat PS3 also has the YLOD. I want to get it fixed one of these days, but I'd rather have someone local (Michigan) look at it than pay the arm and leg to ship it out. One of these days I guess.

We should ask Ben Heck's guys to set up a PS3 reflow station at the MGC. :)

I have an 80GB fat - 4 USB, but some PS2 backwards compatibility was software only. It went back for repairs twice in the first 2 years. Was reliable after that, but I haven't turned it back on in probably 3 years now.

Actually that's not a bad idea. I wonder if they'd be willing to do that?

This is actually my refurbed replacement PS3 Fat. My original died during a FF 13 game (wouldn't read discs anymore) and I sent it back to Sony for a replacement (of course the warranty had expired a few months earlier). Then this one died about a year later during a FF X-2 marathon. Maybe FF's are cursed?

As Travis mentioned, reflows are a temporary solution. Reballing is what you want. Reflows works for a while, but then the light of death eventually returns. It's great for when you just want to pull some game saves off the PS3's drive. I actually reflowed one and it did die after a while. There are loads of stories on the net that confirm this.

Now since you know Ben Heck, maybe you can ask him why this is. I'd be interested as well. Maybe he'd do a show on it!

Edited by chue

As Travis mentioned, reflows are a temporary solution. Reballing is what you want. Reflows works for a while, but then the light of death eventually returns. It's great for when you just want to pull some game saves off the PS3's drive. I actually reflowed one and it did die after a while. There are loads of stories on the net that confirm this.

Yeah I did the hair dryer trick which brought it back to life for a few minutes and allowed me to get my save off (80+ hours into the game), but it died again shortly after.

• 3 months later...

I used this guy on ebay and he seemed to be fully above the boards. Even had a web page for me to track progress:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS3-YLOD-X360-RROD-PS4-BLOD-XBOX-One-Repair-Service-Reflow-Reball-6-Month-Wrnty/131614857493?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

My 60GB FATTY is on its way back now, 6 month warranty, will report on its reliability down the road.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used this guy on ebay and he seemed to be fully above the boards. Even had a web page for me to track progress:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS3-YLOD-X360-RROD-PS4-BLOD-XBOX-One-Repair-Service-Reflow-Reball-6-Month-Wrnty/131614857493?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

My 60GB FATTY is on its way back now, 6 month warranty, will report on its reliability down the road.

Soooo...this guy has more or less stolen my PS3 fat. I got it back and it overheated when trying to update, so I sent it back over a month ago and haven't heard anything. I have left him 4 voicemails, and 1 message on ebay over the past two weeks. I have his address and phone number but no email. How best to handle this? Through ebay, local authorities?

It's not even the time that is bugging me, so much as the total lack of communication... haven't been refunded or anything but the transaction is closed as far as ebay knows because I just mailed it back. Wishing I hadn't...what a crock!

The eBay listing says that the seller is on vacation... that may be why he is not answering your communication.

I would contact eBay and if they cannot resolve the issue then get in touch with PayPal. After it is all said and done, be sure to leave an eBay review of your transaction.

• Like 1

Soooo...this guy has more or less stolen my PS3 fat. I got it back and it overheated when trying to update, so I sent it back over a month ago and haven't heard anything. I have left him 4 voicemails, and 1 message on ebay over the past two weeks. I have his address and phone number but no email. How best to handle this? Through ebay, local authorities?

It's not even the time that is bugging me, so much as the total lack of communication... haven't been refunded or anything but the transaction is closed as far as ebay knows because I just mailed it back. Wishing I hadn't...what a crock!

Just out of curiosity how long did it take you to receive it back the first time after sending it in?

EDIT:

LOL,

Look at the last few pics here from your repair service professionals https://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation-3-PS3-Downgrading-Any-To-3-55-NOR-ONLY-Service-Fast-Turnaround/131595376727?hash=item1ea3b21857:g:mcEAAOSwLVZV6Uh4

Don't even know how to apply thermal paste(for anyone wondering what that does and why that is not how to properly apply thermal paste is because it creates air pockets which could very well explain why the OPs PS3 came back overheating).

EDIT 2:

I just noticed this at the top of the page

This seller is currently away. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order.

which may explain why they aren't responding to you. Edit: Just realized person above me already said this.

Edited by SignGuy81

Repair failed....I am writing this one off as done and gone. No further communication from seller other than "repair failed." I'll never see it again.

Consoled myself by buying a super slim off craigslist for 80 bucks.

Ticks me off that the best PS3 (the 60gb CHECH01 model) was also the most un-reliable...