IGNORED

Video Game Review Show Tips

What do you look for in a video game review show on YouTube and elsewhere? I'm thinking about starting one myself and I'm looking for ideas on what you the Atari age user would like to see in it. Are there any games that might not get enough coverage? Is there a certain style that's pleasing to you? Are there any YouTubers I should watch or avoid? I am very interested in everyone's input and am looking forward to hearing back from some of you.

I'm just in the pre-production stage at the time I'm posting this (11/6/17),but I'll give you this much:

The name of the channel and show will be The Matty Matt Show (stylized as Matty Matt)

The review will be five minutes exact. (Trust me, I know how to get there ;3)

The reviews will be family friendly.

The games featured will cover the gambit from the 2600 and beyond (Perhaps throwing in some newer games and homebrews for older systems).

I'd like to stick to multi player games, simultaneous or not.

And I look to have a segment on the channel where I interview someone while playing the game with them.

I go to YouTube to see gameplay footage and to hear audio from the game. If I see a human face, I rarely even click on the thumbnail. If I think it's a gameplay video and disappointingly hear somebody droning on, I close the tab and keep searching.

I go to YouTube to see gameplay footage and to hear audio from the game. If I see a human face, I rarely even click on the thumbnail. If I think it's a gameplay video and disappointingly hear somebody droning on, I close the tab and keep searching.

Interesting point of view and understandable. I hate people who drone on about nothing myself. How do I keep myself from droning on?

Interesting point of view and understandable. I hate people who drone on about nothing myself. How do I keep myself from droning on?

Some people just talk and talk and talk and talk for no good reason. They think their "fans" want to know what they ate for breakfast or how high they are on pot. Having a script might help. And shutting up when showing clips of a game would make it more tolerable. Maybe face with talking, untainted game clip, face with talking, untainted game clip, face with talking, untainted game clip, and so on . . .

Some people just talk and talk and talk and talk for no good reason. They think their "fans" want to know what they ate for breakfast or how high they are on pot. Having a script might help. And shutting up when showing clips of a game would make it more tolerable. Maybe face with talking, untainted game clip, face with talking, untainted game clip, face with talking, untainted game clip, and so on . . .

I think I forgot to mention that these reviews will be scripted, because honestly, I'm a bad ad-libber. I'm in radio so I script out all my breaks that way I don't have to rack my mind while I'm on the air about what I'm going to say.

• Like 1

LOL, I used to watch a lot of gaming vids, but now I spend soo much time making them, I rarely do anymore. But I like your approach.

• As far as the reviews themselves, I always recommend doing a little research. You don't need to write a doctorate on them, and even then you may make mistakes, but I do believe it helps in overall quality.
  • Also, take the time to edit out mistakes if you can.
  • If you decide to focus on multiplayer games only(interesting approach btw), you might want to change your YouTube channel name to reflect that in someway (Like Matty Matts Multiplayer Mayhem).
  • Most of all, just from experience, cut yourself a lot of slack. For one thing, A LOT of people hate the sound of their own voice when they hear it on a recording. It's normal. It's also normal for new channels to take a long time to grow. I remember getting excited when I had a video go past 100 viewers or when I got 10 subscribers!
  • Remember, you can't please everyone!
  • Finally, the best teacher I have had is time. The more I create videos, the more I learn from both mistakes and successes.
  • Like 2

LOL, I used to watch a lot of gaming vids, but now I spend soo much time making them, I rarely do anymore. But I like your approach.

• As far as the reviews themselves, I always recommend doing a little research. You don't need to write a doctorate on them, and even then you may make mistakes, but I do believe it helps in overall quality.
  • If you decide to focus on multiplayer games only(interesting approach btw), you might want to change your YouTube channel name to reflect that in someway (Like Matty Matts Multiplayer Mayhem).
  • Most of all, just from experience, cut yourself a lot of slack. For one thing, A LOT of people hate the sound of their own voice when they hear it on a recording. It's normal. It's also normal for new channels to take a long time to grow. I remember getting excited when I had a video go past 100 viewers or when I got 10 subscribers!
  • Finally, the best teacher I have had is time. The more I create videos, the more I learn from both mistakes and successes.

Thanks! I love your work and am appreciative of your input. Hopefully we can collaborate. I am thinking about making a segment dedicated to just gameplay, and I might just call it Matty Matt's Multiplayer Mayhem.

I was also thinking about how I can format the channel and so far I came up with this:

Mondays: The review itself

Tuesdays: Subscriber thank you's and channel updates etc.

Wednesdays are going to be different depending on the game.

Thursdays: News

Fridays: Multiplayer segment

On Saturday or Sunday, I'd upload Monday Wednesday and Fridays segments and just schedule them to be published on their specific days, while I could do Tuesdays and Thursday's segments in the morning and upload and publish them in the afternoon.

You don't need a theme song or opening credits. A simple title card with the series name, episode number, & episode name will do. Theme songs take up time you could spend on games. It might be a good idea to thank anyone who's helped you at the end of the video, in leu of opening credits.

It might be nice to compare different versions of the same games across different systems. Don't just say arcade beats 2600 which beats Odyssey^2; try to find the good parts in all versions.

You don't need a theme song or opening credits. A simple title card with the series name, episode number, & episode name will do. Theme songs take up time you could spend on games. It might be a good idea to thank anyone who's helped you at the end of the video, in leu of opening credits.

It might be nice to compare different versions of the same games across different systems. Don't just say arcade beats 2600 which beats Odyssey^2; try to find the good parts in all versions.

I agree with the first part. I'm thinking right as I fade in, the review begins. As far as credits go, of course they won't take like 30 seconds, that's crazy. Should I be like "Shout out to my buddy Dave workin the camera, and my buddy Jeb working the soundboard" or something to that effect?

In regards to the second part, I'm limited on systems that I own, and I don't want to shell out money for systems I'm only going to play once for a review, and I'm pretty much going to be using real hardware when capturing footage, if there is a port of a game that I don't own, what can I do? I was thinking about asking GamingHistorySource if I could get his permission to use his footage when I run across this problem.

Edited by mhmrules
  • Like 1

What Phil said :P I just do videos for fun and a hobby, so dont really care what others think :)

I don't watch many reviews but I do sometimes... my $.02 based on what I think makes a good video:

DO have good production value - good lighting, decluttered backgrounds, proper microphone technique (pop filter, up close, no echo-y room sound, etc.)

DO cut to the chase - lengthy intros and preamble are a great way to get people to skip your video in favor of somebody who just gets to the point

DO have a script unless you're very good at going off the cuff without a bunch of stammering and ums and ahs

DO make sure that any text flashing on the screen contains no spelling mistakes, malapropisms, unnecessary quotes, incorrect apostrophes, etc.

DO put your camera on a tripod unless hand-holding it is absolutely necessary to achieve something in particular

DO NOT go overboard with cheesy transition effects

DO NOT use garish colors

DO NOT use stupid fonts for text, like Comic Sans

Just do not make your reviews overly LONG, whether game or movie reviews I always cringe and do not click if I see anything going over 15 minutes. YOU DO NEED A REVIEW THAT GOES ON AS LONG AS WHAT YOU ARE REVIEWING lol. A brief over view , some points and wrap it up. People have limited viewing time and you mix this with a over saturation of channels and videos to choose from mixed with the shortened attention span of the modern viewer. A nice Intro is cool but make it catchy and to the point and nothing over like 20 sec or so trust me. Other than that, be yourself (we do not need ANOTHER AVGN or overly cynical or Heavy Metal loud or coked up personality type) , if you think you are funny MAKE SURE YOU ARE before constantly trying to insert humor, enjoy whatever you do (these things come through believe me) you do NOT need the best equipment or production skills but some preparation along with research and EFFORT go a long way, good lighting and clear videos will beat overly long self centered videos any time. DO NOT impose your taste in music, you will capture a minority niche fan base perhaps but personally I cannot tell you how many times I clicked off a video because of overly loud continuous music throughout the video drowning out the narration. Just my 2 cents.

Are there any games that the members here on AA would like to see that doesn't really get as much of the recognition from other YouTubers?

YES! Not a particular title but personally I LOVE reviews done on lesser known or unusual titles. I do NOT need to see anymore videos about how E.T. SUCKS or Mario 3 is the greatest. Seek out titles that might be less discussed gems or hell even bad games, at least something new over hearing the same things over and over again.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Games by Apollo would be interesting because they were based out of Richardson, Texas. I'm based out of San Antonio. So that would be interesting.

• Like 1