IGNORED

XBox One X came out today, thoughts?

djour

Seriously, how about we just not watch your video? You don't need to shove those in our faces at every convenient moment.

When questions are asked that relate directly to what I cover, I reference it, especially when I started this thread to showcase it. I'm sorry if my attempts to inform and increase traffic to my channel upset anyone.

Edited by djour

I was thinking about Forza 7 (although I'm not a HUGE racing fan) but reviews for that game are pretty dismal.

Yeah, 90% of that would probably be because they're bitter about the prize crates, which is a total non-issue to me. I mean you don't have to *like* them, but there's still a whole game there despite them. Just don't click on them if you don't want to deal with them. The prize/loot crate thing is something that the gaming public and press have taken on as a pet issue; one of those circle jerks that gets people outraged because they see others being outraged about it and want to be on the bandwagon.

Personally I'm liking Forza 7 a lot, though I *am* a huge racing fan so I'm a little bit biased. But that doesn't mean I like all racing games - I actually sold Gran Turismo Sport the day after I bought it because it really does just suck as a game. There basically is no game. Forza 7 is the game Gran Turismo Sport should have been.

I *will* say that GT Sport probably looks a little better than Forza 7, even though I was playing GT Sport on a regular PS4 and I'm playing Forza 7 on an Xbox One X hooked up to a 4K, HDR TV. But Forza 7 is a better game.

I'm personally wondering if anyone has tried Rise of the Tomb Raider's enhanced version... it's only $19.99 at BB so I was thinking of buying it.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Yeah, 90% of that would probably be because they're bitter about the prize crates, which is a total non-issue to me. I mean you don't have to *like* them, but there's still a whole game there despite them. Just don't click on them if you don't want to deal with them. The prize/loot crate thing is something that the gaming public and press have taken on as a pet issue; one of those circle jerks that gets people outraged because they see others being outraged about it and want to be on the bandwagon.

I was annoyed at things they clipped in game and 'substituted' for the prize crate crap, but I would agree that Forza 7 is a superb game and also that I've seen a large amount of reactions that do seem quite overblown to the crates.

I looked at GT Sport but it really seems to be just a shell of a game and VR doesn't even work in the main section of the game. Boooo. Pass.

• Like 1

pretty much this. I think the Need For Speed Payback reviews have been affected by this as well.

Thing is, game prices haven't gone up in a long time, but costs have. They are going to make extra money somehow. I'd rather they do it through optional purchases than raising the price for everyone. Those gamers/media who are on the warpath over loot crates are going to be on the warpath no matter how they try to increase revenue.

I was annoyed at things they clipped in game and 'substituted' for the prize crate crap,

Yeah, I'd rather not have prize crates and just have that stuff be part of the game, but I don't feel like it's worth losing sleep over. And I understand that some may think these things being removed from the game and moved into the prize crates makes Forza 6 a better game and I don't know, they could be right. But then in Forza 6 you don't get 4K and HDR, so it's a question of what's more important to you. I'm sure there are other things Forza 7 has that 6 doesn't as well that people probably gloss over when they compare both games.

Personally I've used some of my in-game credits for prize crates for mods and it seems like you just make that "money" right back anyway. I guess the real problem some people have is that you can buy prize crates not just with in-game money but with real money, though I haven't even looked into that in Forza 7 and it's not something I would ever do. To me stuff like that just doesn't exist. It's kind of like getting worked up over the fact that there are free-to-play cell phone games. Just don't play them if you don't like that model, or play the free parts and ignore it when it asks you for money. That's what I do. There's no point getting worked up about it; just ignore it if you don't like it.

I agree about your GT Sport comments too. It's really more of an engine than a game. Polyphony seems like they were so proud about the look of the game and the driving engine that they forgot to make anything fun to do with it. I was also disappointed in the VR section, which is really more of a demo than anything. I guess I was confused because for me that was one of the full VR games I was looking forward to. I should have read more about it before buying it.

I'm going to have to reconsider Forza 7. I haven't really played a Forza game since I believe Forza 2.

I did get the Day One version of Forza 5 when i got my Xbox One, but I don't think think I played it more than a few minutes. It looked decent, but I was too busy playing Dead Rising 3.

After that I kind of forgot about Forza 5 and Ryse the other Day One game I got. (Need to go back and play them both)

The only racing game I ever really got into was Burnout, but man Forza 7 looks like it has amazing visuals. I'd be picking it up for the same reason I got Forza 5, to check out the new hardware.

I'm really enjoying my XB1X so far. I went from an original launch XB1 to the X. The small size of the console compared to the original is really nice. The performance boost is nice as well. I game on a 1080p gaming monitor, but the boost in clarity, frame rate and load times is really noticeable. Destiny 2 hasn't even received its X HD update (Dec. 5th), but everything looks better and there is no longer any slow down in the frame rate when the action gets hectic. Halo 5 looks great as well, which uses a scaling resolution to stay at 60 FPS, but now it is always at 1080p/60fps (4k for those who have a 4k display) and the picture looks better on the X.

OYk3n3o.jpg

vYKJb1p.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, so I'm suddenly at the point where I'm gonna need convincing to not return my Xbox One X and get an S instead. I knew already that it was kind of a niche system, but then I watched some side by side comparisons, like this one:

I just can't see how that's $250 worth of difference, and this is one of the marquee games for Xbox One X enhancements. I have a lot of things I could think to use that money for, not least of which is a new receiver now that I've realized I can't have both 4K *and* DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD at the same time through my current receiver. That'll be just as true with an Xbox One S.

Edited by spacecadet

The X box One X will last longer, there's that.

If you had enough disposable cash to buy it in the first place, you should have the wherewithal to keep it, right?

I hear you about the receiver, though. I finally got a nice theater setup in 2012 with a 60" plasma screen, surround speakers, a good (for the time) amp ... I'm not buying all new gear around a single component. That would be like buying a new fridge to hold a sheet cake twice a year. Pass.

• Like 1

Cue the 'I don't see any difference since the PS2' comment crowd...

Looking at that video in 1080 I can immediately see that the X1X is sharper and clearer, and I'm not a spot the pixels kind of person. Whether or not you keep it (or its worth) is a very personally subjective thing, but I don't even have a 4K display yet and I'm quite pleased with the performance/quality gains on the X1X.

Ok, so I'm suddenly at the point where I'm gonna need convincing to not return my Xbox One X and get an S instead. I knew already that it was kind of a niche system, but then I watched some side by side comparisons, like this one:

I just can't see how that's $250 worth of difference, and this is one of the marquee games for Xbox One X enhancements. I have a lot of things I could think to use that money for, not least of which is a new receiver now that I've realized I can't have both 4K *and* DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD at the same time through my current receiver. That'll be just as true with an Xbox One S.

Just keep it man, I have no doubt at some point newer titles that really push the newer model will absolutely chug or even not be compatible (despite Microsoft claims ) on older models, it is more future proof.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

If you had enough disposable cash to buy it in the first place, you should have the wherewithal to keep it, right?

I bought it sort of on a whim, thinking I'd really make the final decision after I had it. I knew I definitely wanted some kind of Xbox One because I want a 4K Blu-Ray player and was planning an upgrade to my TV anyway. When the Project Scorpio edition was announced, I got sucked in and figured that one way or another if I decided it wasn't worth it, I'd be able to get the money back and just get an S. So there was no risk.

Now I'm about halfway to making that decision. I'm not really worried about future proofing because I give both current systems about a year or two before they're fully replaced anyway, and I know I'll get more use out of the media streaming and Blu-Ray player than I will games during that time. Which means having the money for better sound is probably more important than the minor bump in visual quality in games that I'm seeing. I mean like I said, I actually thought GT Sport looked slightly better than Forza 7, and I was running GT Sport at 1080p on a regular PS4. So I feel like higher resolution for gaming probably isn't all that important because I'm just too busy to really notice it while I'm actually playing. HDR is nice, but the S has HDR too.

I don't know, this'll probably be my last post about it because I don't need the thread to be about my personal dilemma, but at the moment I'm leaning towards returning it.

Don't forget about the upgrades to some of the Xbox 360 games as well. The upgrade for Oblivion is significant.

• Like 3

I agree with you, omegadot. I can see the difference, but it's not big enough that I'd care ... not $500 worth of caring, not when a moderately priced PC can do the same or better.

Still, it's interesting that they're looking back this far with the updates. That's a good trend for the future. We shouldn't have to chuck all our old games when a new console comes out.

• Like 1

Well I just watched a bunch more YouTube comparison videos, this time on the brand new 55" 4K Sony TV that I'm actually using to play games on. (And fittingly, I watched these comparisons through the Xbox One X.) I made sure the videos themselves were in 4K so I would really see what I'd be seeing while playing.

And I just can barely see any difference, in basically any game.

I mean, the difference is there - I don't deny that. But I can really only notice it when the comparison videos stop to show a particularly different still image and do that slow wipe from one system to another. And that's just not how anyone actually plays games. When the videos are actually playing gameplay footage, I can barely see any difference whatsoever. And that's on a side by side comparison - if I only had one system, I can't see how I'd miss the other.

I'm 80% on returning the X for an S at this point. It's just a really minor upgrade, but it's really expensive. The only thing that could really hold me back now is that it's just a pain in the ass returning something like this. I have to disconnect it and box it all up nicely again, then cart it back to the store, pick up something else, take it back home, unbox that and hook it all back up. *That* might be worth $250 to avoid doing. But, well, probably not.

I realize I said my last post would probably be it on the subject. But I'm just surprised at how little difference there is in all these videos I'm seeing. And some people are going nuts over how much better the X looks. I guess it's the same with any two systems on the market concurrently, past or present; there's always a group that really counts pixels. But for me, I've never bought one system over another because of slightly better graphics, I always buy based on some combination of price and game selection. I just got kind of caught up in the whole upgrade thing this time.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

When questions are asked that relate directly to what I cover, I reference it, especially when I started this thread to showcase it. I'm sorry if my attempts to inform and increase traffic to my channel upset anyone.

Don't worry I didn't watch it the first time obviously (in the "shameless plug" post) and given the answer was a one liner I didn't watch it the second time around.

So, I "seriously" didn't watch it. Now if you had a transcript of it linked I likely would have read it though ... but that is another matter altogether.

Don't worry I didn't watch it the first time obviously (in the "shameless plug" post) and given the answer was a one liner I didn't watch it the second time around.

So, I "seriously" didn't watch it. Now if you had a transcript of it linked I likely would have read it though ... but that is another matter altogether.

Sorry I don't have the time to type a transcript of the work I put on video. May I ask why you take the time to type responses and ridicule me for posting my links and even go so far as to say you would read a transcript (which would take far longer and involve more effort than just watching it), but not give me the benefit of watching it?

Sorry I don't have the time to type a transcript of the work I put on video. May I ask why you take the time to type responses and ridicule me for posting my links and even go so far as to say you would read a transcript (which would take far longer and involve more effort than just watching it), but not give me the benefit of watching it?

I can skim-read much faster that I can watch through a video at fixed speed, in the past I tried watching at accelerated speeds but then listening becomes a problem (I have the same issue with podcasts). Subtitles help but unless I already know the format of the show it's not smooth sailing. I can always go back and seek to see the video if I found the info relevant (once I read it).

Basically I refuse to put myself hrough the rhythm/timing of a video/podcast for what amounts to the quest for relatively little info, only time I do that is to watch actual game footage (like the retro-core series from yakumo, and even there there's a lot of skipping ahead as I really only want to watch some of the footage not the whole thing, his format has the "talk"/subtitles at the beginning of each console section so it's easy to find the next piece I may be interested in).

And try to pretend we were doing this in person, I asked a basic question and instead of answering you told me to "go watch my video" .... we probably both agree on what answer you got in return, hint, it was a 4 letter word, maybe it was "sure" but maybe not.

• Like 3

I know I'm getting old. I'm still enjoying the graphics of the 360 and PS3 if they even hit 1080, which I don't think they always do.

Meanwhile, I've "missed out" on the entire Xbox One generation. I thought the "S" was a nice and tempting innovation. Looks like it's great that I waited. Perhaps by the time I am ready for an "Xbox One X," perhaps there will be a price drop and/or "Xbox One X S." Meanwhile, the pawnshops are full of "regular" Xbox One games for only a few bucks, each, and it's grand that they'll play on the newest Xbox.

Good things come to those who wait.

I can skim-read much faster that I can watch through a video at fixed speed, in the past I tried watching at accelerated speeds but then listening becomes a problem (I have the same issue with podcasts). Subtitles help but unless I already know the format of the show it's not smooth sailing. I can always go back and seek to see the video if I found the info relevant (once I read it).

Basically I refuse to put myself hrough the rhythm/timing of a video/podcast for what amounts to the quest for relatively little info, only time I do that is to watch actual game footage (like the retro-core series from yakumo, and even there there's a lot of skipping ahead as I really only want to watch some of the footage not the whole thing, his format has the "talk"/subtitles at the beginning of each console section so it's easy to find the next piece I may be interested in).

And try to pretend we were doing this in person, I asked a basic question and instead of answering you told me to "go watch my video" .... we probably both agree on what answer you got in return, hint, it was a 4 letter word, maybe it was "sure" but maybe not.

I apologize that my knee-jerk reaction was to put Seriously, watch my video. I realize no amount of coaxing can convince someone to give a member here the benefit of the doubt and spend a couple minutes giving it a try. As far as it being a one-line response, Bill covered the answer in the post directly before mine, so I didn't feel the need to say it again. Maybe I could have added that the XBox One S never had a power brick and that came out nearly a year and a half ago.

As far as rhythm/timing, I'm not quite sure what you mean. These channels are as varied as television shows and movies and some are certainly better than others. I believe mine are well made, entertaining, and succinct. If you want to watch how well they can be done, try one episode of Game Sack. Those guys are terrific.

Your last line further shows how nothing I do can convince certain people to just try it. I refuse to return your animosity, and I apologize to you and any others that get annoyed with my posts referencing my channel. However, I will continue to promote what my daughter and I are creating any way I can.