IGNORED

Best way to charge a PS3 controller not on a PS3

Rick Dangerous

I received 3 free PS3 first party controllers from a freind last night. I don't want to put any additional strain on the power circuits of my lone remaining fat PS3 by trying to charge multiple controllers while gaming.

Could I plug my PS3 controllers into any old USB socket and they will stop charging when full?

Any reason I couldn't charge them off my Nintendo Switch USB ports, which will charge when the system is off?

Thanks, trying to prolong the life of my first original early PS3, which has always worked great and I want to keep it that way.

They won't charge on "any old" USB port. The joystick itself will not charge unless the port supports some kind of special handshake. I believe the port and controller do some negotiating as to how much power can be delivered (don't quote me on that though).

I don't know if it will charge on the Switch.

For my controllers I have a PS3 controller charging device. They are cheap on amazon/ ebay, probably $10 - $15. You may need to provide a USB wall wart though.

Edited by chue

I can confirm that you can't just plug them into any USB port with power, I tried my switch, wall warts, and direct USB sockets and no red lights. You need a specific PS3 friendly charger that will do a handshake with the controllers. Will try charging them one at a time for now while PS3 gaming and then will buy one of the above chargers.

• Like 2

Only slightly related, but I can confirm that the PS4 controller won't charge in just any USB outlet. I recently left my PS4 controller plugged into the same wall wart that charges my phone and it did nothing even after leaving it in there for hours.

Well...here is to proprietary charging systems and the annoyances they cause!! lol

• Like 3

I plug my PS3 controllers into regular USB ports all the time. I think the confusion is that some cables don't support charging, only data. As long as you have a cable that supports charging, you should be able to charge them in anything.

I charge my PS3 controllers in both my laptop and my TV's USB ports. There was a time when I left them plugged into my TV all the time when I wasn't using them, so they'd always be charged. I don't remember ever plugging them into the PS3 at all, actually. Maybe when I first got my system.

• Like 1

I plug my PS3 controllers into regular USB ports all the time. I think the confusion is that some cables don't support charging, only data. As long as you have a cable that supports charging, you should be able to charge them in anything.

I do the same thing with cables I charge my controllers on my PS3 with, and they won't charge on anything else at all....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only slightly related, but I can confirm that the PS4 controller won't charge in just any USB outlet. I recently left my PS4 controller plugged into the same wall wart that charges my phone and it did nothing even after leaving it in there for hours.

I charge mine (PS4) with my old S4 phone charger. Like others have said I think it comes down to the cable. Having said that though I have found PS3 contollers to be finicky to charge.

• Like 1

I have a PS3 (last-gen 500gb) that I bought new and barely used. I haven't played in over a year, due to severely-changing life circumstances (who cares?).

But the point is, that these friggin' things do not charge on standard ports, as I remember, and as others have attested, above. How brain-dead is Sony to do this? I just don't get it, although the system is still fun.

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late to the party, but I charge my PS3 controllers with my PS4 in standby mode. I've always found it stupid that the PS3 controllers only charge while the PS3 is on, yet they take a few hours to charge fully and I rarely play for more than 45 minutes at a time. So now I put my PS4 on standby mode and plug the PS3 charger into the PS4 USB port.

Hint: this only works if you have a PS4.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got that a few months ago. The ex has the Sony charger I mentioned. It works great, especially since it has two USB ports you can plug more controllers into.

This is also how I discovered I have two counterfeit PS3 controllers as they didn'tshut off when charged up. Gah...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...