IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

Does someone know how the long the current cord is? If its 6 foot then that is fine for most people. If its 2-3 feet then yeah I could see it being an issue.

Either way its easy enough to replace a db9 cable if needed.

Try to make no variations. It is just too expensive to manufacture and manage.

Only on the Jag forum can we have someone willing to put in the work to reproduce a 20 year old hard to find expensive controller and still have complaints. Who cares what connectors of an extension cable look like?

You definitely care enough about peoples opinions to be an abusive little shit everytime you get the tiniest opportunity. Im blocking you as well now so i wont have to take abuse, for having aesthetic tastes, from a old man with way too much time on his hands.

• Like 1

Does someone know how the long the current cord is? If its 6 foot then that is fine for most people. If its 2-3 feet then yeah I could see it being an issue.

Yes, 6 feet.

What good would a DB9 cable do on a Jaguar controller?

You definitely care enough about peoples opinions to be an abusive little shit everytime you get the tiniest opportunity. Im blocking you as well now so i wont have to take abuse, for having aesthetic tastes, from a old man with way too much time on his hands.

Nice personal attacks! I appreciate your input.

• Like 1

Try to make no variations. It is just too expensive to manufacture and manage.

Its 6' which is pretty good.

• Like 3

We were supposed to get a response? Never got one.

If we were to receive a reply, I never saw a response. I checked my spam filters, and don't think an email made it to me.

Please allow me clear up any confusion in that no e-mail responses were given outside of a few asking to become re-sellers for the controllers. The idea was never to respond to every single incoming e-mail for confirmation as it was to use in gauging adequate interest before proceeding and keeping a list of everyone who has sent an e-mail. I do not want everyone to suddenly panic in thinking they're not on the list because they did not receive some sort of confirmation e-mail response. Also, an auto-responding e-mail would have made things even worse and more time consuming, which is why I didn't set that up.

So for clarification, please understand the purpose and scope of this interest check and do no take offense that you did not receive a personal response:

If you sent an e-mail expressing interest, your name is on the list.

If you didn't get a confirmation response, it doesn't mean you're not on the list. This is because there were no confirmation responses sent.

If you have a question or suggestion outside of ensuring your name is on the list, please post it here in this thread.

The process is simple and straight forward.

1. You send an e-mail expressing interest.

2. I copy and paste your details into the spreadsheet and you're on the list.

Nothing more, nothing less.

The bottom line and good news is: we met the goal and the project is moving forward!

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to send an e-mail in helping make this project become a reality. Hopefully all of those who are interested will be enjoying new pro-controllers in the very near future!

• Like 7

We Did It!

Update 12-21-2017 We are at 632 controllers ordered and have meet the goal number for funding purposes. I am starting discussions with the various parts suppliers to start work on the project and will put the down payment on everything. I will update you all about the progress as it becomes available. They will be sending me a demo prototype controller of the final product to show off.

--------------------------------------------------------

Update 12-20-2017: Alright folks we are nearing the end of the pre-order thread here. If anyone else was interested in jumping in now is the time.

Update 12-03-2017: We are at 499 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.

Update 11-13-2017: We are at 301 total controllers pre-ordered. Let's keep going folks.

Overview

I have been working with Clint Thompson here on the forums to see if it was possible to develop a brand new replica of the original Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers. I have a lot of experience in making the individual parts; however I have never remade an entire accessory before. It appears that it is possible despite its complexity. To re-make the original controller the following molds have to be made:

1. Atari Jaguar Pro Controller Shell Mold
    1. Re-making the exterior shell exactly the same minus the logo isn't hard. The quality should be the same as my reproduction Atari Jaguar shells can attest to
  2. D Button Mold and Red Buttons Mold
    1. Have to have two button molds since they are different colors.
  3. Silicone Membrane Mold
    1. The company I use is a top rated one that makes these for many large companies all over the world. The quality should be excellent. Obviously we want to mimic the original feel of the controllers and will try our hardest to do so there may be slight variation from the original however.
  4. Connector Port Mold
  5. Silicone Board Mold

Challenges to this Project

• Cost: The project will cost over $30,000 to complete and as such we need to have sufficient interest to make it viable which we have met. If you are interested in purchasing one please reserve one by emailing jagprocontroller@gmail.com and leave your email and full name stating your interest in the controllers so we can get a tally.
  • Quality: The controllers must work on the original hardware and must feel and work like the original. To this end the controllers would not be released and sold until both conditions were satisfied

FAQ

• What would be the price?
    • $50-$60 per controller with a MOQ of 2 controllers at a time
  • Does the price include shipping?
    • In the US shipping should be $5.00 for two controllers. Outside the US a 1lb 4oz package [Each controller is 7ozs] would cost $21.14.
  • How do I order one?
    • Email jagprocontroller@gmail.com
  • How are you going to ensure quality?
    • During the design phase once the mold is finished they send samples for approval at this time its our opportunity to refine the design until the product is correct.
  • Are you going to ask us to pay upfront and then use the money to build the controllers and deliver at a nebulous future date like Kickstarter?
    • Absolutely not. You don't pay until the controllers are ready to ship.
  • Can I return the controller if I don't like it?
    • Yes you can return them however I would not sell them unless they are like the original
  • Can you include additional features such as USB cable, rapid fire feature or joystick?
    • The goal of this project is to re-make the original as designed. If the project is very successful maybe down the road. If you are interested in offering an add-on or modification service for people buying these controllers I fully support and endorse it.
  • Will it have the Atari Jaguar Logo?
    • No it will not have the logo
  • Is this legal?
    • Absolutely legal to re-make them since the patents expired on original hardware design. This is the reason people make 1:1 clone systems of the NES/SNES and such now.

How do I order one of these

6 feet is long enough, just make the cord whatever length you want. I'm not going to complain about someone fronting the money them self to make a small batch of these for a niche group of people.

This is much better then a Kickstarter, make a great product and if it actually gets made and comes out, then pay for it. And if this never sees the light of day for whatever reason, none of us besides the OP had any of their own money put into this so we don't lose anything.

Edited by Pink

When I was looking at the differences between the Jaguar Controller and the Power Pad, one of the main differences was cable length and cable thickness.

The Power Pad only has a 3 foot cable and was thinner. Definitely the difference between being meant for being in front of a computer screen vs being in front of a TV. I would think 6 foot would be the recommended minimum for any corded controller for a game console.

Edited by leech

Quick question since I am planning to buy 2, are the extra 3 buttons mapped to pin row 6, column 1, 2, and 3 according to the pinout: http://arcarc.xmission.com/Web%20Archives/Deathskull%20%28May-2006%29/games/tech/jagcont.html?? Reason is I can update my Jaguar adapter to account for the Pro buttons and make them work like SAC for Colecovision. The standard 3 button layout meant I had to map the 4th color button to Option or Pause which is a bit further away and slightly inconvenient for my thumb when playing a Super Action enabled game.

right, it uses the 15 pin cable :)

Same as VGA design but I wouldn't trust VGA cable for extension use. Some cheap one may be wired only for RGBHV and ground. Better cable usually have 14 wires, pin 7 are often not wired at all. Jaguar controller will not work at all with any of those cheap cables.

AFAIK no common standard outside of Atari uses HDB-15 connector with all wired through except for pin 5, 8, and 15, and I haven't found a supplier that do have all 15 wires done through.

Same as VGA design but I wouldn't trust VGA cable for extension use. Some cheap one may be wired only for RGBHV and ground. Better cable usually have 14 wires, pin 7 are often not wired at all. Jaguar controller will not work at all with any of those cheap cables.

There are actually VGA extension cables that have all pins wired, and use thin wires instead of coax. Which means they're cheap and nasty for VGA signals, but perfect for Jaguar controllers.

Unfortunately I can't provide a manufacturer/part number, the cables I use are unbranded ones from a shop that no longer exists.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

Update. Naively will work with the Atari Jaguar, Atari ST2, Atari Falcon. With an adapter it will work on the Atari 2600, Atari 8-Bit, Atari ST and Atari 5200 systems. I am working on expanding the available adapters for these for other systems as well

+1 for an adapter that allows two-button compatibility for the Atari 7800. :love:

• Like 1

Update. Naively will work with the Atari Jaguar, Atari ST2, Atari Falcon. With an adapter it will work on the Atari 2600, Atari 8-Bit, Atari ST and Atari 5200 systems. I am working on expanding the available adapters for these for other systems as well

I've made adapter that works on Intellivision. Because of convoluted matrix, I ended up using Atmega328 to translate keypad and buttons from Jaguar to Intellivision.