IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

My ETA got totally destroyed because of the Chinese Holiday. I was aiming for a surprise release for JagFeast however is not happening now. It will be another month for the molds which is really disappointing.

Don`t be dissapointed, the fact that it is happening at all is in itself a great thing. Thanks to you and Clint the shortage on Procontrollers will end, who would have thought that a few months ago...with those 300$ Procontrollers on Ebay.

• Like 4

My ETA got totally destroyed because of the Chinese Holiday. I was aiming for a surprise release for JagFeast however is not happening now. It will be another month for the molds which is really disappointing.

Thanks for the update MortoffGames. I've talked to you personally over ebay before about some other Jaguar. If you guys are still in Broomfield I'll personally drive over and grab the controller when they are ready! I can;t remember tho if you moved or not, I remember something about Cheyenne

Is it too late to get in on this?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271862-brand-new-atari-jaguar-pro-controllers-production-campagin/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3886294

• What would be the price?
    • $60 per controller with a MOQ of 2 controllers at a time
  • How do I order one?
    • Email jagprocontroller@gmail.com
  • Are you going to ask us to pay upfront and then use the money to build the controllers and deliver at a nebulous future date like Kickstarter?
    • Absolutely not. You don't pay until the controllers are ready to ship.

Thanks for the update MortoffGames. I've talked to you personally over ebay before about some other Jaguar. If you guys are still in Broomfield I'll personally drive over and grab the controller when they are ready! I can;t remember tho if you moved or not, I remember something about Cheyenne

I actually moved up to Wyoming, however its only a 5hr drive!

• 3 weeks later...

A couple questions about adding a pro pad and a pro stick:

Just out of curiosity, can a standard Jag Pad be wired like Pro Pad, for the purposes of pad hacking a Jaguar controller, by letting 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 equal L, R, Z, Y, and X? If so I can use an extra 3-button one to wire like a 6/8 for fight games.

Also has anyone tough about making a Saturn to Jaguar adapter so Saturn 8 button control pad will work on a Jaguar? I need a pad for Atari Karts for the L/R shoulder buttons. That wouldn't be too good on a stick. Of course the 12 digit keypad and the extra auxiliary button have to be mapped on a separate external device that accepts the Saturn controller and plugs into the Jaguar.

But if those 2 are more inconvenient then I'll take 2 Jag Pro Pads at $60 apiece. One to keep and one to pad hack for my fight stick. If it's not too late for me to order 2. Also if anyone knows of a Saturn-to-Jaguar Pro adapter and/or if pad hacking a 3 button stick will work just as well as a 6, I'd like to know that, too.

Also does any game that is 3 or more players work well for the Jag Pro Pad. (Except for the Jag Link games, which require multiple consoles,) The only 2, 3+ player games I know on the Jaguar are White Men Can't Jump and NBA Jam. I know NBA Jam, from the Arcade, SNES and Genesis version, uses 3 buttons. Does WMCJ use more buttons?

Just out of curiosity, can a standard Jag Pad be wired like Pro Pad, for the purposes of pad hacking a Jaguar controller, by letting 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 equal L, R, Z, Y, and X? If so I can use an extra 3-button one to wire like a 6/8 for fight games.

Also has anyone tough about making a Saturn to Jaguar adapter so Saturn 8 button control pad will work on a Jaguar? I need a pad for Atari Karts for the L/R shoulder buttons. That wouldn't be too good on a stick. Of course the 12 digit keypad and the extra auxiliary button have to be mapped on a separate external device that accepts the Saturn controller and plugs into the Jaguar.

But if those 2 are more inconvenient then I'll take 2 Jag Pro Pads at $60 apiece. One to keep and one to pad hack for my fight stick. If it's not too late for me to order 2. Also if anyone knows of a Saturn-to-Jaguar Pro adapter and/or if pad hacking a 3 button stick will work just as well as a 6, I'd like to know that, too.

Also does any game that is 3 or more players work well for the Jag Pro Pad. (Except for the Jag Link games, which require multiple consoles,) The only 2, 3+ player games I know on the Jaguar are White Men Can't Jump and NBA Jam. I know NBA Jam, from the Arcade, SNES and Genesis version, uses 3 buttons. Does WMCJ use more buttons?

Yes - the "extra" buttons on the Pro-Controller are just extra buttons using the number pad in an easier to reach spot.

Not sure for question #2 - I think the games you mentioned are the only ones that are 2+ player.

Gauntlet II, SuperSprint

• Like 1

If Gauntlet 2 and Super Sprint are like the arcade games they refer to, I assume they are at highest, 2-button games. Any 3+ player games that need 4 action buttons or more that would benefit from the Jag Pro Pad, or is 2 Jag Pro Pads all you need? Is Atari Karts 3+ players? That uses shoulder buttons.

Yes - the "extra" buttons on the Pro-Controller are just extra buttons using the number pad in an easier to reach spot.

Not sure for question #2 - I think the games you mentioned are the only ones that are 2+ player.

If both are the case, I'll have pad hacked a standard Jag PAd, and depending on whether any games uses 3+ Jag Pro Pads or not, I'll have an genuine Atari one, one repro, and one extra repro one, which I'll sell to a practical collector (meaning his more about playing the games than buying to sell) I know who I think may or may not have Jaguar,

I just thought of something. I know enough about keypads to understand that you can't press any 2 random keypad buttons simultaneously and expect a predictable results, like a combination of the 2 buttons simultaneously, and instead get the pressing of a different unintended button. I know the Intellivision put one of 16 joystick directions on 4 pins (+180, +90, +45, +22.5) with a fifth pin is to indicate pressure on the joystick. With no signal from the fifth pin, the four directions are matricized to make 12 different buttons, one combination for pause, one combination for no keypad AND no joypad and 2 other undefined reserved functions. (can be used in emulators)

I know when keypad buttons are matricized pressing more than one button throws off the pin combinations. On the intellivision, a simultaneous keypad and joystick press as well as 2 key together produce unpredictable results. 1) If the X, Y, Z, L, or R are pressed in any other combination other than singly, would that have unprecdictable results? 2) If not, is there something different in a Jag Pro controller compared to the Jag Standard controller? 3) If so, do all the games accommodate the fact that you only need one of those 5 buttons at one time? 4) If you can press multiples of the special buttons, but the Jag Pro is nothing special PCB wise about the controller, how would one explain the ability to press L+R or X+Y+Z and have that understood as multiple simultaneous independent buttons?

If there is a satisfactory correct answer which suggests you don't need to pad hack a Jag Pro controller for full functionality, I'll just buy one Jag Pro Pad, or if I must buy two, offer one to the Jack Of All Games, Jamal "Zophar321" Nickens, and if we can't make a deal, either offer a repro or the Atari Made Pro Pad on Ebay, depending on the difference between a repro and a genuine Atari. If in order to get full functionality, you need a pro controller, either real or repro, I'll i use a repro as my pad hack PCB.

Edited by tripletopper

Is it too late to buy 2 jag pads, or now that the minimum is reached, 1?

This is actually a good question. They aren't ready for sale yet however, but initially for the quote it would need to be bought in pairs, but since the quota is met maybe they will allow to buy just 1 controller vs. 2. I know my wife won't bother playing the Jaguar with me on a second controller!

This is actually a good question. They aren't ready for sale yet however, but initially for the quote it would need to be bought in pairs, but since the quota is met maybe they will allow to buy just 1 controller vs. 2. I know my wife won't bother playing the Jaguar with me on a second controller!

But If I must buy 2, I know one friend who has a Jaguar and is a video game nut. If he's interested, I'll sell him one privately, if not, there's always ebay or the "everything from Atari to Xbox" video game stores in Cleveland and Akron.

Short version: there's nothing special about the Pro Controller PCB. You can use a standard controller PCB and wire extra buttons yourself, and it will work fine.

At least I know I can take apart a 3 button for the fight stick PCB and have it act like a Jag Pro Pad except i joystick form. Saves me money. Unless someone can name a 3+ player game that uses more than just C,B,A, that uses 1, 3, 4, 5, and/or 6 (not counting Jag Link games) frequently enough where it'd be more handy on Z, Y, X, L, and R than to reach for the keypad.

By the way, that never really answered by question fully. All I know is I can use a Jag Standard pad to PCB hack for a Jag Pro. I was wondering if all 12 keypad buttons are independent buttons, where pressing 2 or more keys in combination equals the sum of the results, or pressing 2 buttons on the keypad, (including the Z, Y, X, L, and R because they are remappings of the keypads in more convenient locations,) will yield a third unpredictable result kind of like definitely the Intellivision controller and probably the Colecovision, 5200 and Arcadia controllers? If so, are the games designed so you don't have to press X+Y+Z or L+R. (If Street Fighter Grand Master Challenge were to be released, there'd go the supers in that case.)
Does Primal Rage in the arcade use an X+Y+Z combination? If so, how do they deal with that at home, (at least on the Jaguar)?

All buttons are independent. Unlike (for example) most PC keyboards, there aren't any ghosting effects.

So in theory, you could make a game of "Dancing Fingers Twister" where you have to use both hands to press 6-8 keypad buttons, and "the bomb goes off" if you either press one wrong step or move one of you fingers off the keypad, (except for one legal key that can be released which is deactivated) and have to use 2 fingers, including the one free finger, on one button to free another finger. You're saying the controller natively supports a game like I describe. I don't know if it would be a fun game in and of itself, or if that can be a seed of a great game in the future, but the controller can handle it if that's the type of game you're making.

Maybe that can a part of a party game, like Mario Party, Sonic Shuffle (even though the ethical dilemmas in choices are so unapparent due to mistranslations, that, unless you've seen that dilemma before, it's basically flip a coin.) Pac Man Fever, Crash Bash, (are there any other mini game party games.) I believe those are the best 4 examples to model a Jaguar party game, and this would be one of the (hopefully lots of and fun) party games that individually wouldn't justify buying a cart over, but maybe in combination can work. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Someone with more programming knowledge than me, take it, and others like it, and develop it for retro Jaguar, and if it's succcessfuil, think of me in some small way. Like a credit in the game for the partial design of that mini-game."Dancing Fingers" (Twister is copyrighted, so another better name must be chosen. I just used that name because everyone knows what Twister is to make the explanation shorter.) I don't expect a penny (unless whoever owns Atari decides to release it as a pre-loaded game in a Retro Jaguar System, a la At Games or Hyperkin. .) )

Finally a name for the centipede that could be a cute character: Hector. It's both a play on metric prefixes (hecto = 100, centi = 1/100 ) and named in honor who the MVP to the most championships in Cleveland, Hector Marinaro, the guy who has played all 4 positions in MISL/NPSL indoor soccer well enough, but became most famous when being a deadeye accurate forward who owned lots of scoring records, who could also launch 3's (yes there's a 3 point arc in this soccer, and all other field goals are worth 2, and an equivalent to an "And 1 free throw" one-on-one attacker-vs-goalie encounter worth one point awarded for certain severe, frequent in general, or goal-saving penalties by the defense.) He was so good, he once, as a trick shot, hit an 8.5 x 11 inch paper taped to the upper goal corner, on the fly, from half court. And it would be fitting that a Centipede plays Soccer well. I don't know of any other cute characters Atari has besides Bentley Bear, but Hector the Centipede would be a good addition.