IGNORED

Brand New Atari Jaguar Pro Controllers- For Sale!

Starwander

I got mine a few days ago and was unable to try them out til last night. I think they feel fine. I haven't compared them side by side with my pro, but I'd say their comparable at the very worst.

However, I am only able to test out one of the "new pro's," as I can't get the other to plug into either controller socket. I have a pro and four original controllers, and I've never had a problem connecting one. It doesn't look like a bent pin or anything obvious, and the controller that DOES attach is also a little tricky to fit.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I also had this issue with one of mine. I ended up gently bending the pins to match the arrangement of my original controller and that solved the problem. I spent a number of hours with the controllers and put together a review for them. Overall, I think it's fantastic.

I also had this issue with one of mine. I ended up gently bending the pins to match the arrangement of my original controller and that solved the problem. I spent a number of hours with the controllers and put together a review for them. Overall, I think it's fantastic.

Do you remember which ways you needed to bend the pins? I tried comparing them to my stock controllers and bending them, but I had no luck and I'm afraid of breaking them. Using a VGA extension cable I've been able to use the controllers, but I haven't been able to get either to plug into my actual Jaguar.

I had some random plastic bits rattling around inside one too, but it was easy enough to open the controller and clear them out.

Besides these issues the controllers seem to work great. I just hope I can eventually get them to plug into my Jag directly.

Do you remember which ways you needed to bend the pins? I tried comparing them to my stock controllers and bending them, but I had no luck and I'm afraid of breaking them. Using a VGA extension cable I've been able to use the controllers, but I haven't been able to get either to plug into my actual Jaguar.

I had some random plastic bits rattling around inside one too, but it was easy enough to open the controller and clear them out.

Besides these issues the controllers seem to work great. I just hope I can eventually get them to plug into my Jag directly.

The bottom row was the issue on mine. Use a butter knife and gently reposition them by sliding the knife all the way into the plug and gently lifting up to move the pins to a suitable location. Make sure they are all in a uniform row. Compare them to the original plug and make sure the spacing looks about the same. Just be gentle and you'll get it.

The bottom row was the issue on mine. Use a butter knife and gently reposition them by sliding the knife all the way into the plug and gently lifting up to move the pins to a suitable location. Make sure they are all in a uniform row. Compare them to the original plug and make sure the spacing looks about the same. Just be gentle and you'll get it.

Thanks for the tips! With a little finagling with a butter knife I finally got them to plug in okay. I really appreciate it!

Also I discovered your YouTube channel through RetroRGB awhile back and I've been enjoying your videos. :)

Thanks again!

• Like 1

I suspect there was some confusion with the original list. If you recall, a lot of people posted here because they never received any confirmation email. I know of one person who sent two emails and since he never heard back he figured it was never ordered. Or perhaps felt that the company just didn't care enough to reply.

I'm only posting this as constructive criticism. It sounds like a fantastic product, so next time simply send an email response.

I suspect there was some confusion with the original list. If you recall, a lot of people posted here because they never received any confirmation email. I know of one person who sent two emails and since he never heard back he figured it was never ordered. Or perhaps felt that the company just didn't care enough to reply.

I'm only posting this as constructive criticism. It sounds like a fantastic product, so next time simply send an email response.

Clint was initially taking the email addresses, I took over when I learned of this. Regardless everyone that sent an email asking to be on the pre-order list was contacted at least one time if not twice.

• Like 6

Can someone comment on the feel of the new buttons Vs. the original Pro controller buttons.

There have been two videos posted comparing these to the original controllers however no videos head to head just yet. If you have time watch one of the two videos as both are pretty good. Jaybird on the last page also talked a little about the difference between these and the original pro controllers as well.

Edited by Starwander
  • Like 1

If you recall, a lot of people posted here because they never received any confirmation email. I know of one person who sent two emails and since he never heard back he figured it was never ordered. Or perhaps felt that the company just didn't care enough to reply.

I received at least two email notifications, plus there have been dozens of updates posted here, on Facebook groups, etc.

Email delivery is simply not 100% reliable, and depending on emails alone is unwise.

Was it the company that didn't care to reply... or that some people couldn't be bothered to take 5 minutes to check?

• Like 1

I received at least two email notifications, plus there have been dozens of updates posted here, on Facebook groups, etc.

Email delivery is simply not 100% reliable, and depending on emails alone is unwise.

Was it the company that didn't care to reply... or that some people couldn't be bothered to take 5 minutes to check?

Considering all the "hai what's the latest on this?" posts when the latest was always updated in the first post, my guess would be the latter. Also, Jag fans should know to always check in on a project they're interested in, it'd cut down on the, "I didn't see this and now it's sold out and the only way to get it is from flippers on EBay" posts. I don't want to derail this thread around a great product, but sometimes the customer has to put in a little effort. This isn't Amazon here and Starwander did a great job of updating us when there were significant things to post about.

• Like 8

Considering all the "hai what's the latest on this?" posts when the latest was always updated in the first post, my guess would be the latter. Also, Jag fans should know to always check in on a project they're interested in, it'd cut down on the, "I didn't see this and now it's sold out and the only way to get it is from flippers on EBay" posts. I don't want to derail this thread around a great product, but sometimes the customer has to put in a little effort. This isn't Amazon here and Starwander did a great job of updating us when there were significant things to post about.

I completely agree with you on this....

I can't even imagine the magnitude of managing a project like this. If people are truly interested in this product (especially regularly active AA members) they should already know whats going on. Hell I didnt get the email until way late either. (Remember I posted about this) but I still knew what was going on and I was one of the first to receive my controllers.

I got mine a few days ago and was unable to try them out til last night. I think they feel fine. I haven't compared them side by side with my pro, but I'd say their comparable at the very worst.

However, I am only able to test out one of the "new pro's," as I can't get the other to plug into either controller socket. I have a pro and four original controllers, and I've never had a problem connecting one. It doesn't look like a bent pin or anything obvious, and the controller that DOES attach is also a little tricky to fit.

So my first controller fit just fine, second one didn't go in, and when I looked the bottom row of pins had bent.... so I bent them back up very carefully with a flat head screw driver, then plugged it into my Raphnet USB adapter and... all the buttons worked except the left shoulder button. After a mad few hours of looking last night for my soldering iron (the wire was loose), I finally gave up and went to sleep. This morning I found the soldering iron right away (you know, one of those midnight look through boxes you haven't unpacked since you moved and some how just skimmed over it like 3 times situations..) got the soldering ironing done and now I have two fully tested controllers. :P

I haven't actually played anything with them, but the keypads don't seem 'sticky', only the shoulder buttons are very loud on the click compared to the original Pro controller. Wondering if I should just use them as is until the switches are a little less loud, or see if I can source which parts are in the originals.

I completely agree with you on this....

I can't even imagine the magnitude of managing a project like this. If people are truly interested in this product (especially regularly active AA members) they should already know whats going on. Hell I didnt get the email until way late either. (Remember I posted about this) but I still knew what was going on and I was one of the first to receive my controllers.

Ha, the easiest way to stay up on a project is to 'Follow' it! then you get email updates. I've got quite a few threads that I follow.

• Like 2

I just wanted to let Starwander know that I received the controllers already! I was very surprised because packages from the US to Canada can often take 2+ weeks.

I have quickly tested both out with a few minutes of Total Carnage and they seem to be great.

Thanks a lot for all your efforts!

• Like 2

An update on this: I checked the pins on the problematic controller more closely, and two of the pins in the bottom row were indeed bent slightly out of place. I bent them back with a screwdriver and then had no problem getting the controller to fit. I've spent about two hours with the first controller and a half hour with the second. Both play beautifully now.

I've also compared them side by side with my authentic pro controller. They feel nearly identical, and they seem to be equally responsive. I have not had any issues with the keypad buttons sticking, but I have not yet played any games that use them much. Yes, the shoulder buttons on the new pro's are "clickier," but that does not bother me in the slightest.

Edited by PFG 9000
  • Like 2

Just checking out my repro controller. Works amazingly well! D-pad, red buttons, shoulder buttons are all very tight and responsive. I used to own an original Procontroller years ago and sold it because I couldn't really justify owning just one controller worth hundreds of dollars! ... but these really do feel and act like the factory originals. The build quality seems to be decent, so I expect these to last for years to come.

If you are on the fence and considering a purchase, I can highly recommend these. I know that $120 plus shipping can seem like a lot of money, but each controller is less than the cost of an average homebrew cartridge. These really do breath new life into an old system!

I can only find one negative: one of the controllers popped into the controller port just right. The other, however, seemed to be a bit resistant. I had read a couple of the comments above that the pins _may_ not be lined up quite perfectly on every controller. Rather than use any force on the controller plug, I got an ordinary butter knife and _very_ gently pushed it between the bottom row of pins and the plastic collar. YMMV so be careful if you think you need to do this. I *gently* nudged the pins ever so slightly away from the plastic collar. This seemed to do the trick and now that controller pops in perfectly as well.

Despite this possible issue, I find the new controller works so well I have to give it a 10/10 as a homebrew release. Excellent job!

post-8320-0-56196800-1543088386_thumb.jpg

Edited by ls650
  • Like 4

I received mine today as well and they are fantastic! The comfort, precision, and button response puts the OEM 3-button to shame. It has dramatically improved my enjoyment of the games Ive tried so far (Doom & Raiden, for the record) and I can see myself enjoying the jaguar more with these. Hard to explain, but my hands need to expend more energy on the 3-button and feel worn out grappling with it compared to the Pro. Better ergonomics. Recommended to anyone who actively plays the jag!

(I also had to push a couple of pins to get one controller in but thats an easy tweak that only needs to be done once, if at all.)

Thank you for taking on this project for all of us!

• Like 2

After A LOT of trouble, I finally got the pins straightened out in my second controller (mine came mashed in primarily in the middle row on the right side). I had to use a pen cap and a butter knife to get the proper alignment. It was my third time declaring, "This is a work of art!" before it finally slid in. Now I may never unplug that one. No such issues with the other controller. The controller with the pins mashed together also had the rattling inside the controller. Thanks to your post, I did a little research and saw how easy it was to open the controller up and I fixed that problem, so I now have two flawless repro Pros (plus my original Pro). Thank you for mentioning that you did that! (I might even have to start learning how to mod things for less expensive systems now that I'm not terrified of opening things up). Between these repro Pros and my new Opal Rotary Controller, my Jag is getting plenty more playtime these days!

• Like 1