IGNORED

Any chance for a retroarch/Libretro version of JzIntv?

IMBerzerk

GO easy on me here...lol...

As the popularity of Retropie grows, so does the design, and many other aspects of emulation on these mini-computers.

Using JzIntv is great once it's all setup and running and aside from the Ms.Pacman issue, works flawlessly. However, it lacks the ability to be adjusted by a menu, the use of shader and filters for fun effects and the simplicity of being universal in configuration like many other emulators than went Libretro.

I've been using JzIntv in my retropie Inty SSVA build for 2 years and it's flawless. I love it, but it does take knowledge and a lot of questions (as some of have helped me on here) to get it going. A new streamlined version, that includes all the config files ans setup tweaks to make ot work in the retropie environment would be a welcomed addition to the retropie build and community.

Thanks, JR

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 3

Libretro "Net play" would be good with all the Intellivision "for two player only" games. [the jzintv source code is available if anyone wants to do it]

The Ms PacMan issue should be fixed with an updated jzintv. http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/

The Retropie jzintv setup is all automated; you'll always have to add rom files yourself. It can be improved, like having all the file extension support. Or adding a button hackfile sample. But it still has to be adjusted for different controllers. Should be just dropping in a different button hackfile.

Edited by mr_me

Mr_me.. I didn't think it was a hard install at all. It was quick from the retropie menu, what I found hard was the fact that you have to tweak the esconfig file to add in the resolution and point to the hackfile (if you use the controller interface). And of course having to learn how to use Linux, as well as where all The files live...etc.

Whereas the libretro bases emulators are plug-and-go with menu driven options available. Whereas to make any changes to JzIntv you have to console in, or use a client to edit the files.

Same for coolcv, and a few other non-libretro emulators. Slowly each emulator is being ported but that needs someone to get it done.

I'm opening the topic because there is so much interest in retropie now that it would be sad to see JzIntv left out of the movement to libretro.

I hope it can get done.

JR

Edited by IMBerzerk

This may be a topic better suited for the RetroPie forums.

I know Joe Z hangs out here, but as an example - in regards to the 2600 emulator Stella, the RetroPie support is not done by the Stella emulator developer or anyone on his team. It is solely done by the people at RetroPie, or others. Stephen has told me directly that he does not know who works on the lr-stella emulator or who is doing the porting of the standalone version of Stella that RetroPie uses.

So maybe someone that is already working on the support for retroarch/libretro stuff can help out and work on jzintv support.

EDIT: That being said, I do not use lr-stella, but I use the standalone version of Stella for my Ultimate Atari Joystick and my other Atari projects that I am working on.

And ByteKnight doesn't use lr-stella either for his Ultimate Atari Flashback upgrades.

I've not checked recently, but in previous RetroPie versions the lr-stella emulator does not support paddles and some games didn't work correctly, so using the standalone Stella emulator is better.

Edited by fdr4prez

I created an account on the Retroarch forum, just have wait for the access to be granted and I'll post the request...but as one would expect, they only port stuff that there is a lot of interest in, and will have support from their community.

I'll give it a try and see where it goes. It would be great, but not sure if it can be done as well as JzIntv is as a stand-alone.

It's just all the visual extras that JzIntv doesn't do that is really needed.

I went over to the LibRetro forum and posted a request to add JzIntv to the RetroArch build. There is definate interest in doing it and making it part of the build with a libretro port.

Here is the exchange... minus my last reply as it has to clear for posting with me being a newbie on that forum....

So is there any chance we (or I) can talk to Joe about this... how can I find him nowadays and would he be receptive to this?

Thanks!

JR

https://forums.libretro.com/t/hi-ever-consider-jzintv-to-libretro/13295

• Like 1

I went over to the LibRetro forum and posted a request to add JzIntv to the RetroArch build. There is definate interest in doing it and making it part of the build with a libretro port.

Here is the exchange... minus my last reply as it has to clear for posting with me being a newbie on that forum....

So is there any chance we (or I) can talk to Joe about this... how can I find him nowadays and would he be receptive to this?

Thanks!

JR

https://forums.libretro.com/t/hi-ever-consider-jzintv-to-libretro/13295

He has been active in the Programming sub forum and has just released a new version. PM him or reply to the thread he created a couple of days ago.

Might be a case of everyone want it but nobody wants to do it.

Joe's contact info is in the readme file in the old beta jzintv download. For some reason the updated dev versions don't have any licensing info. His contact info is also on his website. http://leftturnonly.info/. Or like Tarzilla said message him through Atariage. Last I heard he's updating jzintv for sdl v2. And doing these projects part time takes time. Maybe he's looking for a reason to dump sdl.

A question might be if there would be compromises going through libretro. I've only tried mame through it and it had issues. Probably depends on the programmer. Who would be better suited for this, a programmer that knows libretro really well or one that knows jzintv.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Might be a case of everyone want it but nobody wants to do it.

Joe's contact info is in the readme file in the old beta jzintv download. For some reason the updated dev versions don't have any licensing info. His contact info is also on his website. http://leftturnonly.info/. Or like Tarzilla said message him through Atariage. Last I heard he's updating jzintv for sdl v2. And doing these projects part time takes time. Maybe he's looking for a reason to dump sdl.

A question might be if there would be compromises going through libretro. I've only tried mame through it and it had issues. Probably depends on the programmer. Who would be better suited for this, a programmer that knows libretro really well or one that knows jzintv.

Tough to say.. as the reply I got from RetroArch seems to indicate they can do it, but would prefer being in contact with the original programmer so it works best for both parties if there are any changes or updats. But with JzIntv being as stable as it is for the past umpteen years, I wonder if it would even be an issue. Regardless, it would be an honor for Joe as it would be included forever and a part of a really nice package a lot of people are jumping into. Being able to add effects would be a lot of fun as well. I run lr-Stella with a TV overlay I made and the CRT filter available on my 35" Roku, and damn if it doesn't look just like a real old skool TV running the original Atari VCS... well... as close as I want to get without all the extra space lost to original hardware.

I run most of my emulation through lr ports except Coleco, C64 and MAME. For MAME I use MAME4ALL and it seems to work really well.. BUT I use mostly old skool games that don't tax my Pi3 much at all.

I'll reach out to him and see if he'd be interested. I hope he is...

JR

Edited by IMBerzerk

... with JzIntv being as stable as it is for the past umpteen years, I wonder if it would even be an issue.

JzIntv is being maintained and updated as Joe needs, and there have been several versions made available.

He hasn't done any official releases for his updates.

All the updates are in his "stable dev" versions on the lower right corner of his site, and I don't think the version included in RetroPie has been updated recently.

Howdy, yall! A couple folks have drawn my attention to this thread. :-)

jzIntv is still under active development, as I continue to fix and tweak things. Thankfully, it's also pretty darn stable most of the time.

I went ahead and joined the libretro forums. I'd be happy to assist them developing a libretro backend for jzIntv, and pulling that into mainline. Theoretically, jzIntv is structured to support multiple backends. Right now, it supports two: SDL and "null". I'm slowly adding a third, SDL2. libretro would be yet another.

I don't personally have the time and background to develop and test a libretro backend on any reasonable time scale. But, if they're willing to do so (as suggested in #14), I'd be happy to assist, and to pull that into the mainline jzIntv source so it automagically remains maintained.

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

I've used the FreeIntv core on RetroArch and it seemed to work OK, but I would prefer jzIntv.

I'd also like to find a modern USB controller I could use with any Intellivision emulator. Maybe an iPhone app could simulate a controller with an overlay graphic? It'd be tough to do the side buttons, though.

I've used the FreeIntv core on RetroArch and it seemed to work OK, but I would prefer jzIntv.

I'd also like to find a modern USB controller I could use with any Intellivision emulator. Maybe an iPhone app could simulate a controller with an overlay graphic? It'd be tough to do the side buttons, though.

Have you tried the Ultimate PC Interface?

WIth the Ultimate PC Interface, or Vision-dapter, or Raphnet adapter, or Retronic USB you still need a real Intellivision controller. Alternatively, any modern game controller works well with jzIntv once you map everything. ideally some games will have unique button maps, also possible with jzIntv.

There's an android app that emulates an Intellivision controller (bluetooth), but I wouldn't recommend it (latency and touchscreen).

I tried freeintv a few weeks ago and found that it runs way too fast and a few games have screwed up graphics. I tested with Retroarch Windows. The other thing is Retroarch really limits how you can map controller buttons.

Edited by mr_me

WIth the Ultimate PC Interface, or Vision-dapter, or Raphnet adapter, or Retronic USB you still need a real Intellivision controller. Alternatively, any modern game controller works well with jzIntv once you map everything. ideally some games will have unique button maps, also possible with jzIntv.

There's an android app that emulates an Intellivision controller (bluetooth), but I wouldn't recommend it (latency and touchscreen).

I tried freeintv a few weeks ago and found that it runs way too fast and a few games have screwed up graphics. I tested with Retroarch Windows. The other thing is Retroarch really limits how you can map controller buttons.

What's the Bluetooth android app? I am curious to check it out, even if it isn't good enough.