IGNORED

JagZombies

WAVE 1 GAMES

As many of you may or not be aware, I am currently developing a zombie shooter for the Atari Jaguar. I prepared a short one level demo for playtesting at E-Jagfest 2017. The initial reactions and feedback have been good so far.

Some of the suggestions I have had made to me are:

*implementation of light gun support, (which would friggin rock if I could get it going)

*Different more upbeat music

*Exploding barrels and other objects. (which is already happening)

*multiple weapons (I'm thinking of just going with the shotgun and limited hand grenades that you need to collect)

* more variation and randomization with the zombies.

* more precise aiming (working on it!)

Based on the feedback I have received so far I am trying to implement some of the ideas suggested to me. I thought I would share a short progress video here and a playable demo for you folks who have a Skunkboard of the progress so far. Keep in mind this is very much still a work in progress and not all things are complete.

Below is the current work in progress build for folks at home to try out. This one level demo isn't very much different from what was shown at eJagfest by Nick.

CONTROLS:

D-pad Move crosshair

C button Start game from title screen (DO NOT PRESS THIS DURING GAMEPLAY AS IT WILL RESET YOUR SCORE)

B button Fire

A button RELOAD

jagzombies_ABS.abs

jagzombies_ROM.rom

I won't be posting video updates as much on this one as I have on my past projects as I want to keep updates to the progress fewer, but if you have any suggestions on this particular game I will take note of it and if it fits into my vision I will do my best to make it happen.

• Like 7

This looks cool Jeffrey!

Can I suggest that you take a more Typing of the Dead approach? I think it would be pretty awesome if you could implement more of the Jaguar keypad buttons into the game, like having to press certain keypad button combinations(in a certain amount of time), during parts of the gameplay. I think that would be pretty cool and add to the suspense of the zombies coming. Just a thought...

• Like 2

This looks cool Jeffrey!

Can I suggest that you take a more Typing of the Dead approach? I think it would be pretty awesome if you could implement more of the Jaguar keypad buttons into the game, like having to press certain keypad button combinations(in a certain amount of time), during parts of the gameplay. I think that would be pretty cool and add to the suspense of the zombies coming. Just a thought...

Instead of typing words it could be number strings hehe

• Like 2

This looks cool Jeffrey!

Are you suggesting that I have a seperate mode that throws math equations at the player and you have a certain amount of time to type the correct solution or the zombies approaching the screen will eat your face? When you input the correct answer will the crosshair just line up and blow the zombie closest away? Sounds interesting.

Do the Math mode. Lol

• Like 2

Are you suggesting that I have a seperate mode that throws math equations at the player and you have a certain amount of time to type the correct solution or the zombies approaching the screen will eat your face? When you input the correct answer will the crosshair just line up and blow the zombie closest away? Sounds interesting.

Do the Math mode. Lol

Yeah, exactly! Either math equations or number strings...maybe even inputting number codes to open a door or lock?

Do the Math mode. Lol

No, I'm suggesting you just have ONE mode, that actually works. Instead of spreading yourself thinly over 27 that barely do. And then playtest it to death before ordering carts. and then, maybe, you'll have something worth purchasing.

• Like 6

No, I'm suggesting you just have ONE mode, that actually works. Instead of spreading yourself thinly over 27 that barely do. And then playtest it to death before ordering carts. and then, maybe, you'll have something worth purchasing.

Actually when discussing the prospect of doing JagZombies with Clint back in early October I already decided that it should only be ONE game mode. He also agreed that would probably be best like you say, one SOLID mode instead of a dozen.

I just thought the Do the Math thing was kind of cute, not cute enough to actually implement Im affraid.

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

I would suggest multiple game modes, but only on the basis that they riff off of the core gameplay experience. I.e include a time attack mode, where of course all that would be added would be a timer, that sort of thing. I'd also suggest adding a bit of story, maybe an intro 'cutscene' or something between levels, multiple weapons, various screens per level, huge bosses, etc... I saw the original post in JS3 about wanting to make a real homebrew 'killer app', and I definitely admire that ambition, but it will mean adding a lot of care and attention to detail :) <3

I would suggest multiple game modes, but only on the basis that they riff off of the core gameplay experience. I.e include a time attack mode, where of course all that would be added would be a timer, that sort of thing. I'd also suggest adding a bit of story, maybe an intro 'cutscene' or something between levels, multiple weapons, various screens per level, huge bosses, etc... I saw the original post in JS3 about wanting to make a real homebrew 'killer app', and I definitely admire that ambition, but it will mean adding a lot of care and attention to detail :) <3

There will be a story in between levels. A really corney story about bats infecting people with a virus. The story will progress as you go further in the game until you get to the final boss (the Batlord) I'm still writing it but let's just say the PRINT function will be used quite a bit.

By the way this isn't the "killer App" I was referring to, although it would be really cool if it turned out to be just that!

There will be a story in between levels. A really corney story about bats infecting people with a virus. The story will progress as you go further in the game until you get to the final boss (the Batlord) I'm still writing it but let's just say the PRINT function will be used quite a bit.

By the way this isn't the "killer App" I was referring to, although it would be really cool if it turned out to be just that!

If you'd like I can try and write a story :) It's something I enjoy :)

May I suggest to keep this simple and rather focus on the playability and action. While I think that story driven games are great I think wading through walls of text doesn't lend itself very well to this type of game.

Also what the others above said is right, concentrate on one mode and make it fun. I don't want to sound negative and I kept my mouth shut until today because I only saw these threads and some videos. But I had the chance to try your games at EJagfest and they clearly would have needed more polishing and testing. Some of the game modes seemed to be there just to be there so you probably would make yourself a favour by sticking to one mode and try to make it as good as you can.

I kinda like your enthusiasm but from what I have seen so far you would rather release something for the sake of releasing it rather than having the patience to really finish a project.

It would be cool to see you progress in that regard because shooting Zombies on the Jag could potentially be fun and there is not too much around in that regard.

• Like 8

Looks great!

Actually this is something I wanted to do back in the day to, but I got distracted during my study. Let me know if I can help in any way. :)

I know. Your project was part of my inspiration. I played the demo on a demo cd you released. I knew exactly what you were going for and figured I could do the same with RB+. Would be interesting to see if you had any of the old assets left over from the old project. Perhaps some of them could be refitted and reused for JagZombies?