IGNORED

JagZombies

WAVE 1 GAMES

This has the same bug as FF64 'VR' mode - you don't z-sort. It's not so obvious as you space things out here.

attachicon.gifzbug.png

Props for trying to kill it before someone noticed though.

Im aware. I just added those 2 zombies last night. The order will be fixed. Still working on it buddy. And its not a bug nor is it the same problem as the food items in VR mode. The wrong zombie is being called at the wrong time. The other game was just randomly popping in differnt food items regardless of their spot on the object list.

Im aware. I just added those 2 zombies last night. The order will be fixed. Still working on it buddy. And its not a bug nor is it the same problem as the food items in VR mode. The wrong zombie is being called at the wrong time. The other game was just randomly popping in differnt food items regardless of their spot on the object list.

It shouldn't matter what order you call them in, the engine should depth sort the objects. I agree, it isn't a bug. There would have to be code for that function for it to be buggy :D

• Like 1

It shouldn't matter what order you call them in, the engine should depth sort the objects. I agree, it isn't a bug. There would have to be code for that function for it to be buggy :D

The only way to depth sort the objects is by what spot they are in in the object list. As far as I know you cant have 2 objects swap spots midgame? Unless there is a way I don't know of...

If only there was some sort of central processing unit in the jaguar that could move memory around.

Programmers write these things called 'routines' that do things that aren't built into the original system by breaking tasks down into smaller problems to solve the whole.

• Like 5

Notice how the player moves between the other enemies without there ever being a case of 'why is that zombie in a diaper carrying a small man zombie in front?'

THAT was funny! lol

OK so now I know that it CAN be done in rB+ I just gotta figure out how to get it done. I just have to create a subroutine that is checking the order in which the sprites are being drawn on the screen.

So Clint play tested the ROM version I posted last night and there was a certain zombie on the left that pops up when crazy mode kicks in that could not be killed. I fixed that and he is now able to be shot and killed. He also pointed out that sometimes the zombies spawn too far to the right and blend in with the dumpster, I think I have fixed that now. I noticed that when the faster zombies start coming they look like they are walking side by side as if they are getting married. I didn't like that so I set a 4.5 second interval between when the second 2faced slasher spawns and the second diaper wearing skank pops up so they are not together. Although I have not yet fixed the depth sorting issue with the 2 zombies I did create a collision event that makes them bump off one another and move slightly in opposite directions which should minimize that unwanted effect for the time being. If anyone at home wants to burn this on a cd and play test it for themselves for now here is that build. I reckon this will load on Skunk too

jagzombies.abs

I'm gonna make this my best damn Jaguar game yet! :)

Something is still happening on the left side with one of the newly spawned Zombies. Like the 4th or 5th one you shoot in the middle and not only does it kill him but it also kills the new one on the left. There's a zombie on the right that you can't kill now until he actually reaches the screen, crosshair never turns red. Also, the crosshair for the barrel is no longer red but works - but it only killed the back row of zombies and the two standing directly next to it lived. There has to be a way to make the red crosshair target move with the animation of the characters. It's like on the very very edge of the zombie but then when they move left, it's still red and you're actually shooting off the character yet he still dies (and at this point, so does other zombies as well)

This is where I quit playing about 4 minutes in because they can't be killed, as you can see the crosshair is directly on the zombie....

post-985-0-15769700-1511115690_thumb.png

post-985-0-30304700-1511115922_thumb.png

post-985-0-98796800-1511115977_thumb.png

• Like 1

Are you going to sell the least buggy version for $60?

There wont be different versions and revisions. When its done its done. Thats why im encouraging people to playtest here like Clint has. To address bugs and unwanted effects early on.

And just so you know the price point for the red carts is $45. Not $60. It was going to be a surprise but since you just have to ask about pricing so early on.... Way too early to be talking about that.

• Like 1

You might want to store the Zombies as larger bitmaps and scale them down, instead of as smaller bitmaps and scaling them up into smudgeblobs.

With only 64k used for the backdrop, and (at most) about 50k for the sound effects you have plenty of RAM to use more detailed sprites.

• Like 7

Is this an approved set of logos for ingame engine credits?

attachicon.gifcredits.png

I kind of like the color scheme as it goes well with the JagZombies theme....

That should be OK for for U-235 SE, although I prefer the flat versions (also save you some storage if you save it as a low bit depth image) I have attached the ones that are included with the SE for this purpose. They can obviously be scaled as required (please make sure the text can still be read though :) )

Oh and I also had a quick thought on your reload conundrum.. I think this has been done well in other games. Use a single button to do the reload, however.. a reload has an associated time delay with it (perhaps animation), so you won't be able to shoot whilst reloading. To prevent the player just mashing fire and triggering an auto-reload, either simply have no auto-reload (flash RELOAD) when they press fire on an empty weapon, or add a time penalty for not pressing reload at the right time BEFORE trying to fire.

Reload on time

1. Player fires last bullet
  2. Player hits reload button
  3. 1 sec reload delay
  4. Player can resume shooting

Auto Reload

1. Player fires last bullet
  2. Player presses fire again
  3. 1.5 - 2 sec reload delay
  4. Player can resume shooting

Also, allowing the player to reload whilst they have a non-full clip might be fun too.. so they may have 3 rounds left but know a wave is coming, reload now and not have to reload during a panic. Could also add score bonuses for reloading only on empty clip and never hitting auto reload etc.

Hope that all makes sense :)

post-2235-0-71074400-1511183048.png

post-2235-0-53025200-1511183060.png

post-2235-0-85758500-1511183067.png

• Like 4

You might want to store the Zombies as larger bitmaps and scale them down, instead of as smaller bitmaps and scaling them up into smudgeblobs.

With only 64k used for the backdrop, and (at most) about 50k for the sound effects you have plenty of RAM to use more detailed sprites.

I listened to you on this but am having some trouble. It would be great to get higher resolution less pixelated zombies.

I'm kind of stuck

see http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271050-running-a-multitude-of-constant-timerscounters-with-rb/?do=findComment&comment=3895430

I listened to you on this but am having some trouble. It would be great to get higher resolution less pixelated zombies.

I'm kind of stuck

see http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271050-running-a-multitude-of-constant-timerscounters-with-rb/?do=findComment&comment=3895430

As you know, I'd love to help you out, but based on past experience, it isn't worth the effort.

Although the game is far from complete the overlay design is finished and being produced! Notice the different speed settings as suggested in this thread. These will enable you to increase or decrease control sensitivity on the fly. These will also help out with the motion control gun that is currently in development to coincide with this project! This is happening and its all a step in the right direction.

post-45896-0-85172800-1511337503_thumb.jpeg

You're producing the overlays now, before the game is complete? What happens if you need to change something or think of a new feature? You're effectively cornering yourself then and restricting your available options!

The first batch of carts are probably already in the mail.

• Like 7