IGNORED

Stupidly EXPENSIVE & Rare Original XBOX Games

Metal Jesus

I have to admit it was fun to finally setup my Steel Battalion 40 button controller and blow up some mechs. That games is pretty damn awesome, but very expensive!

Wasn't when I bought it. :)

Plus, playing that on your lap is just not right... At the very least put up a cheap card table and folding chair!

I guess I really lucked out on Steel battalion - Got mine on clearance new from EB games for like $130 with tax.

I heard the blue button where the second run and about twice as many where made than the green version.

The local "vintage" game store is selling one in a beat-up box for $625!

• Like 1

Good episode MJR. I had Operation Genesis in my library at one time and still own Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast. IIRC Operation Genesis got poor reviews on the initial PS2 port at the time it was released, so the XBox port print run as drastically scaled back. Coast 2 Coast and Teen Titans also had small print runs as they weren't released until 2006 after the XBox 360 hit the market. Microsoft and publishers had left the original XBox behind, so those two games got a smaller release than their PS2 counterparts.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that even presently affordable titles could see price spikes if backwards compatibility expands to other Xbox games. Worth mentioning in your next Xbox video- I know there’ll of course be one. Speaking of which, the following are some that aren’t (yet) valuable, but from my own collecting experiences are easily very uncommon to rare, and worth mentioning for that alone. Several are also hidden gems:

Volvo: Drive for Life- not at all expensive, but surprisingly uncommon. I’ve never stopped collecting for the Xbox, and this is one of the few titles that I’ve never actually seen in the wild. Basically an advertisement as much as it is a game, it still manages to be fun. This also has become a great period piece. It may not have ever actually been sold at retail, but a fair number of copies were given to Volvo dealers. This is by far the most affordable rare Xbox game- even now in November of 2017 new copies can still be had on Ebay for around five dollars. Here’s a good article on it from the Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/11/business/media/grand-theft-auto-no-make-mine-volvo.html

...that article is itself a great time capsule, too- and not the mistaken use of “cartridges”.

Lucasarts Xbox Experience Vol. 1 (there never was a second Volume)- mostly just rare, and unlikely to be found in the wild. One of the only titles I’ve never seen in the wild. Often overlooked by collectors.

America’s Army: Rise of a Soldier: the Official U.S. Army game, and a surprisingly good FPS. Came out in 2005 to little notice. At least around here I haven’t seen too many copies in the wild. This is also on the 360, but is still worth getting on the Xbox. I personally greatly enjoyed this title due to the realism and inclusion of some RPG elements for player character development. I haven’t actually played this in over a decade, but will soon to see how it’s aged.

Shadow of Memories: Apparently a European exclusive. Never seen it Stateside. Had to order my copy online. Have yet to get around to playing it.

Roadkill: Great vehicular combat game. When I came across a copy two years ago in the wild it made me stop and go “now here’s a game I didn’t know about”, which hadn’t happened in a good while before that. Also on PS2, but the Xbox graphics are much better.

F1 2001: Probably the earliest “rare” Xbox game. I’ve only seen it once in the wild, at least knowingly- any other times I might have just glanced by it without even thinking it worth getting.

I did find that Lucasarts Xbox Experience in the wild at some garage sale I loved the demo for Wrath Unleashed, though I could never find THAT game in the wild.

Man I still kick myself for selling my Xbox collection.....

Wow- I'm impressed! I've never seen it in person other than my own copies. And yeah, Wrath Unleashed does seem to be somewhat uncommon.

Shadow of Memories: Apparently a European exclusive. Never seen it Stateside. Had to order my copy online. Have yet to get around to playing it.

That explains things a bit- a different xbox video briefly touched on Shadow of Memories, and all I could think was "but that's a PS2 game, it didn't come out on Xbox!"

(Also the American PS2 release was Shadow of Destiny.)

If you like arcade racing games, definitely check out Test Drive: Eve of Destruction. The game is stupid fun!

This is a great one, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I actually preordered this game back in the day. It's one of the best racing games ever made. It's so good, I wrote a piece on it recently for a car blog I write for!

https://bangshift.com/general-news/bangshift-approved-game-review-test-drive-eve-destruction/

The best part are all the unlockable videos of real people (some with AMAZING mullets) actually competing in real events like the ones in the game. It's worth the price of admission right there!

I still have three of those - Stubbs the Zombie (lots of fun!), Futurama (IMO awful game, but looked and sounded great) and, well, The Guy Game. Never played that one, though, because I don't have an NTSC Xbox. Just bought it as a rarity for the collection.

Shouldn't Kakuto Chojin also be pretty valuable?

Shouldn't Kakuto Chojin also be pretty valuable?

Nah. Despite it having been pulled from shelves it seems like it's still relatively common. Probably doesn't help that not many people were into it and still aren't (I personally liked it.. especially the soundtrack that's absolutely killer if you're into the electronic/rock hybrid style it went for).

I saw a nice used copy of Outrun in a GameStop bargain bin circa 2008 for $10 or so, and passed since I already had my copy that I had preordered online. Wish now that I had picked it up anyways. I knew then that it was going to be a future rarity, but not as rare as it ended up becoming. I figured it would perhaps hold its value, not skyrocket.

As I recall, it was essentially an online exclusive thanks to the state of the Xbox at that point in time. That used one in fact was the only one that I ever saw at retail. Happily though, the PS2 conversion for Coast to Coast is an amazing conversion, very affordable, and nearly as good.

Short of the lack of Xbox Live support which is now meaningless, my preference for the Xbox analog stick, and a very occasional bit of slowdown, it's all here and fully intact. Even retains the 16:9/480p support of the Xbox version. A bit of unimportant bonus content requires a PSP with Coast to Coast to be connected to the system via USB to unlock, but that's the only substantial difference.

Edited by Atariboy

I remember picking up Phantom Dust for $17 thinking "oh, this looks like one that might be rare some day." I see a bunch on ebay for about $17. :(

I do have Outrun Coast to Coast. Sega support was a big reason I bought an Xbox in the first place, and Outrun is a blast.

Edited by BydoEmpire