IGNORED

Stupidly EXPENSIVE & Rare Original XBOX Games

Metal Jesus

Dang, I got all excited when I saw this post about xbox rares only to find out it is a video. No offense to MJR, but most of my surfing happens somewhere that I can't/won't watch video.

Can someone post a list of the titles discussed? I spent a lot of time trying to nail down the games I suspected would end up hard to find and I'm curious how I did compared to what others are seeing in the market.

Of the titles mentioned so far, I agree completely with Outrun Coast to Coast (only copy I've seen is the one I own). Stubbs I've seen a few times, but it's definitely hard to get and VERY good.

I've also been lucky enough to pick up a few Japanese exclusives beyond Metal Wolf Chaos. Not the best games, but cool to own and something you don't see often. Drihoo, Magi Death Fight, Psyvariar 2, the 3 Shikigami no Shiro releases, and Tiny Helicoptor are all english friendly.

From the EU side, Mashed is worth checking out. It was on PS2 domestically, but not XBox. Not expensive, but cool to own.

Airforce Delta Storm and F1 were two that I thought would end up being tough, but I've seen countless copies of both of them. Same with Barbie Horse Adventures.

Airforce Delta Storm and F1 were two that I thought would end up being tough, but I've seen countless copies of both of them. Same with Barbie Horse Adventures.

Yeah, there was a time back when the XBOX was on the market that Air Force Delta Storm was expensive. Then Konami re-released it and that was the end of that.

Can someone post a list of the titles discussed? I spent a lot of time trying to nail down the games I suspected would end up hard to find and I'm curious how I did compared to what others are seeing in the market.

He posts the lists of all the games in the video description if you just click the YouTube link on the video (you don't have to watch it):

Steel Battalion
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis - YouTube: Tapport
OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
Stubbs the Zombie
Metal Wolf Chaos
Futurama
Test Drive: Eve of Destruction
The Guy Game
Teen Titans
Capcom Classics Collection: Vol 2
Also, if you click an MJ thread, I think it's safe to assume it's going to be a video.
Edited by spacecadet

He posts the lists of all the games in the video description if you just click the YouTube link on the video (you don't have to watch it):

Steel Battalion
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis - YouTube: Tapport
OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
Stubbs the Zombie
Metal Wolf Chaos
Futurama
Test Drive: Eve of Destruction
The Guy Game
Teen Titans
Capcom Classics Collection: Vol 2
Also, if you click an MJ thread, I think it's safe to assume it's going to be a video.

Thanks for the list. I didn't notice it was one of his when I clicked, just got excited to see some Xbox love. <shrug>

Teen Titans is the only one on that list I don't have, but I've seen several copies of it. Maybe worth picking up.

This thread made me go back and take a look at my Xbox collection, and I found a handful of games that I never opened!

nUUjpf3l.jpg

lEiKbSkl.jpg?1

I completely forgot I had these. When FYE was closing down many of their stores around 2008-09, I went to a few of them and snagged tons of games for dirt cheap for the Xbox, PS2, GameCube, Wii, and more. There were more that I actually did open and play, but I never got around to these. The Oddworld one was funny, because it says "USED" on it, but it still has it's factory seal sticker on the spine, as you can see here. I've gone out and purchased opened replacements for some of these, so these ones are basically shelf candy.

I think it's weird that there exists both an Outrun 2006 and Outrun 2 for the same system. I've played the arcade Outrun 2 and I own Outrun 2006 for the PSP and I just assumed they were pretty much the same game, with a couple modes added for home systems. Guess I'm gonna have to pick up Outrun 2 for one of the consoles (probably not an Xbox if it's that expensive) and compare them... I wonder what the real differences are.

Outrun 2 is a Xbox exclusive. It's basically a 1:1 port of Outrun 2 from the arcade, with the addition of the original Outrun arcade game, some bonus courses, and Xbox Live support. I doubt it's expensive these days. Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast is a sequel to that game, and was a home conversion of Outrun 2 SP from the arcade.

Outrun 2 SP/Coast to Coast added slipstreaming/drafting and an additional set of 15 courses for the two major additions to Outrun 2 (While keeping the original 15 courses from Outrun 2 as an option, but losing the bonus tracks and Outrun 1986 from the Xbox port). This one is apparently expensive on the Xbox these days, but is still very reasonable on the PS2 (And as an owner of both, I can safely state that the PS2 port is an amazing conversion).

Then came Outrun Online Arcade, which was a HD remaster for the 360 of the additions that Outrun 2 SP brought to the table, but minus the original Outrun 2 content thanks to Microsoft's strict XBLA size limits of the time that forced Sumo Digital to make some draconian cuts to the game. It's a beautiful game, but sadly it's now delisted. Was also on the PS3 overseas, but was a MS exclusive in North America.

Hopefully Sega does something with Ferrari again (Outrun 3, perhaps? :)), and takes advantage of the opportunity to get these amazing games back out in digital stores and on the PS4 and XB1 via emulation.

Edited by Atariboy

Since we're on the topic of Outrun 2006, IIRC the only port rarer than the XBox is the physical North American PC box release. The PC port was also available on Steam for a time before Sega lost the Ferrari licence. From the couple of times I've seen copies pop up on Ebay, the sell price for a CIB copy has fluctuated wildly from $20-$100.

If you loved Outrun 2, than Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast is twice as good.

It has 15 brand new courses to race through while maintaining the original 15 courses from Outrun 2, for 30 courses total. Sure, it's an expansion pack more or less, but it doubles the content of a great game. What's not to love? But I'll say it again, the PS2 version of Outrun 2006 is amazing and an option to consider if one wants a reasonably priced route to experience the game. I could run both the Xbox and the PS2 versions via an upscaler and display them side by side in a video uploaded to YouTube, and I assure you that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Sumo Digital performed miracles with that PS2 conversion and other than very occasional and momentary frame rate drops in extremely busy corners compared to the rock solid 60 fps on the Xbox, it's every bit as good as the Xbox version. It even retains the anamorphic widescreen and progressive scan modes of the Xbox, if you want to play it on your HDTV instead of a nice CRT. Literally the only reason why I usually fire the Xbox version up is my preference for that controller.

I don't know for certainty what the prices look like today on Ebay, but I'm confident that $20 complete copies in nice condition can be found without too much effort.

Edited by Atariboy

The Xbox version was an online exclusive, and only a limited selection of retailers carried it. I believe I preordered mine through Wal-Mart's website.

The PS2 and PSP versions saw widespread retail distribution. In fact dozens of brand new copies of each were staples in a bargain bin at the entrance to a now relocated GameStop in a nearby mall long after release, marked down to $10. It's why I own all three of these today. :)

Edit: Judging my posts in this Digital Press thread, I didn't preorder it and finally bought it at Wal-Mart's site a few days after release, after giving up finding a copy in an actual store.

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?74723-Outrun-2006-Coast-2-Coast-officially-announced/page4

The posts here give some perspective on how limited of a release that this was. Surprised the game didn't rate a dedicated AtariAge thread at release (I see one about the PSP port, but that's pretty much it).

Edited by Atariboy

Yeah, as Atariboy said, OutRun 2006 is basically a home version of the SP arcade release. The added slipstream mechanic is big and really helps with the difficulty. There are some other features as well that you don't have in the original OutRun 2 release, such as the Coast 2 Coast single player mode and the added music from older OutRun games (like the choice to play to the Turbo Outrun arcade OST, for instance). It's definitely worth owning but it's not necessary to own it on XBOX. If you don't want to pay the price for that you are best at least tracking down the original OutRun 2 on Xbox (still cheap), then nabbing 2006 on PS2 or PSP.

Interesting about Phantom Dust. Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to add it to my collection but have been putting it off. For a while it was $30-ish across the board, but it seems it has gone back down. I wonder if the free Xbox One release of it has had an effect on the price?