IGNORED

S-Video Connector for 800XL

hueyjones70

Has anyone attached a S-video connector to an 800XL. I am considering doing that after I finish my next Super Video 2.1 upgrade and I just wondered where would be the best place to attach the wires. Could I connect to the din plug, the din connectors on the foil side of the board or is there a more direct method that would not cause any degradation to the signal.

Has anyone attached a S-video connector to an 800XL. I am considering doing that after I finish my next Super Video 2.1 upgrade and I just wondered where would be the best place to attach the wires. Could I connect to the din plug, the din connectors on the foil side of the board or is there a more direct method that would not cause any degradation to the signal.

The DIN monitor jack has provision for the Chroma/Luma signals used for s-video, though Chroma isn't usually connected on the 800XL. If the color/Chroma signal is connected all you need is a special video cable with the s-video(mini-DIN4) plug, these are available from 8bitclassics.

https://www.8bitclassics.com/Atari-800-XL-XE-5-Pin-DIN-S-Video-Cable.html

I know about the chroma-luma and I know about the cables, I had one with the s-video connection and it didn't work, I don't think it was wired correctly. The probably used the composite video for the chroma and I have composite disabled. I want to have a dedicated s-video jack that I know will work as intended.

I just added the mod and routed it to the the Atari's standard jack, my cable has all the signals available via RCA jacks and standard s-video jack... cake mod and cake cable to make.. it might take a whole 18 to 20 ish minutes to do the whole thing (mod and cable) letting the iron warm up while ya disassemble...

Edited by _The Doctor__

I added a s-video connecter to an 800XL and the results were not satisfactory. I was picking up some interference from something that caused horizontal bands of wavy lines to move up and down the screen. Rather than spending a lot of time troubleshooting, I decided that the concept just wasn't worth the effort.