IGNORED

CompuServe’s forums, which still exist, are finally shutting down

Nezgar

https://www.fastcompany.com/40495831/compuserves-forums-which-still-exist-are-finally-shutting-down

Do you think there's a chance all the messages and threads from the 80's actually still there? I have a feeling the oldest stuff would have already been purged.. But a lot of valuable computer history from the early days of home/personal computing may be on the verge of being gone forever...

My time on CompuServe lasted exactly one month... It was a wonderful time when I tried the CB Simulator and downloaded the amazing BobTerm... THen my dad got the (at least??) $100 bill, and that was the end of that! haha

holy crap! thought that was long gone and never checked or looked back! By all means see if you can't get them and the archived ones too! Anyone still have an account or know someone with an account? Maybe even contact their admin/sysadmin/sysop/moderators to see if it could be done... heck someone might be able to get to donate the equipment or such for archival purposes :)

• 8 months later...

I haven't used Compuserve in decades, but I still have some old binder / manual for it. I even have a 56K baud modem in storage somewhere, but don't know if it still works. I'd have to use my older system, which still has a serial port and a floppy drive, as my newer system doesn't have either.

I thought Compuserve ended around the time of the modern Internet. Otherwise I might have been interested...probably not though, my guess is any 8-bit coverage and support ended back in the early 90's, if not before. Compuserve, Genie, GCP fpr Atari...I used to drool over the ads and wish for a modem. I could have eventually gotten the modem, even if it was the 1030 I just got a few years ago, but the roadblock was the big phone bill, as Nezgar said, my parents would have killed me, with the outrageous hourly rates (considering how slow it all worked) and a phone bill on top of it too, even BBS's were out of the question...especially at 300 baud. I'll be ready by the end of the year, in my new home, with a real land-line, to finally connect my 1030 and check out a few of the BBS's others in the community run. Hopefully, finally, at 50 years of age, I'll connect to my first ever BBS with a dial-up modem.

Edited by Gunstar

They got 37x 5gb compressed archives of it. https://archive.fart.website/archivebot/viewer/job/f2cnvBut yes it fell over and didnt get restarted in time to finish.

The Atari forums were ATARINET, ATARI8 and ATARIVEN. There were ST forums too. I dont know if AT is early enough alphabetically to have been included. There is an archive team bot search on efnet but I havent had time to try and query it yet.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...