IGNORED

Always winter, never Christmas

karri

I teamed up with a guy from Brazil to write a little generators for allowing Google Blockly to generate code for the Lynx.

So instead of writing code the old fashioned way you can build the game using blocks that you drag in place.

This version is for creating interactive visual novels. So I am trying my writer skills on a space novel called "Always winter, never Christmas".

I loved Narnia stories when I was young. But it would be too difficult to write that style on a Lynx screen. So this novel is based on graphics and snappy one liners mostly.

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here"

That is why I fixed ABC music to create sound effects as text.

One "Label" will always be in one Lynx file. So jumps to new sections always load in new content from the cart.

It is a pretty neat idea. I have coded most of the novel on my tablet at airports etc. Looks like it will be finished shortly.

Edited by karri
  • Like 5

I teamed up with a guy from Brazil to write a little generators for allowing Google Blockly to generate code for the Lynx.

So instead of writing code the old fashioned way you can build the game using blocks that you drag in place.

This version is for creating interactive visual novels. So I am trying my writer skills on a space novel called "Always winter, never Christmas".

I loved Narnia stories when I was young. But it would be too difficult to write that style on a Lynx screen. So this novel is based on graphics and snappy one liners mostly.

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here"

That is why I fixed ABC music to create sound effects as text.

One "Label" will always be in one Lynx file. So jumps to new sections always load in new content from the cart.

It is a pretty neat idea. I have coded most of the novel on my tablet at airports etc. Looks like it will be finished shortly.

Wow, amazing new about this code generator. Are your code generators something that you might consider sharing with the Atariage community? This could really open up more development of titles for the Lynx if people here are given access to it.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

The idea is that you can generate the complete C code for the novel. Right now it generates code for Sega X32 and Lynx. I was also planning to add Android as one target.

So it is a high level visual novel programming language.

Even though this generator is specific and limted to generating code for the novel it is the fundamental basis of something that could be expanded into a more diverse sort of development environment for the Lynx. It could also help people who are trying to learn to code for the Lynx by giving them Lynx C code output to learn and become familiar with that matches against the project that they used Google Blockly to create. Edited by Tidus79001

Even though this generator is specific and limted to generating code for the novel it is the fundamental basis of something that could be expanded into a more diverse sort of development environment for the Lynx. It could also help people who are trying to learn to code for the Lynx by giving them Lynx C code output to learn and become familiar with that matches against the project that they used Google Blockly to create.

True. As this is the 1st Lynx novel (from a series of my space novel trilogy) I am coding it by hand at the same time in order to generate the proper generator for Blockly.

The sequels will be generated by Blockly alone.

A few screenshots...

Choosing options from the menu

post-2099-0-98545800-1510903569.png

Chatting

post-2099-0-98821800-1510903455.png

On Sega the screens look different

post-2099-0-27716700-1510905143.png

Edited by karri
  • Like 5

Thanks. It will be play tested during the week-end. If you all are nice Santa may release it on Christmas. So it is time to get your SD carts and emulators ready. For people lacking SD carts I can send out real carts in advance (like Flappy - 13€ including worldwide postage). Downloads will be free.

Due to the small screen size the novel is closer to comics than real literature. But I still hope that reading this Christmas-themed episode will be fun.

Edited by karri

I'll take a cart! Happy to pay a little extra for padded envelope

Lol. The carts are always padded envelopes from now on. I do not intend to make the same mistake twice.

I assume that I can send out the carts starting in December. But when you are allowed to start playing it is between Santa and you ;) This is a Christmas gift after all...

• Like 1

The storyline is now finished!

A friend at AtariAge will now check the language. I am not a native English speaker.

The I have some small tuning of music, graphics and timing left to do. That takes about an hour or two. So this looks good.

About play testing... So far I got three thumbs up from my kids. They are impartial? Right?