IGNORED

Atari 850 bare boards?

slx

Found this on EBay. As I don't think Atari ever sold 850 kits I assume someone got a stack of 850 boards from an Atari warehouse sale and added a photocopied sheet with parts and instructions. Has anyone ever seen this before (or even built one)?

Going this way would allow building an 850 with "normal" connectors, though.

I

I bought one of those kits last year for $10, but haven't built it yet.

Board looks authentic..

If you write "kit" was there more to it than just the board and the - I assume - quartz oscillator? In order to get it up and running, wouldn't you need an EPROM with the R: handler and the "firmware"?

I didn't doubt the authenticity, just wondered if it was a common item or more of a one-off or small series.

Edited by slx

They probably wanted to make some money of the stack of unpopulated boards they were left with after they found out the 850 wasn't moving.....

The 850 was crazy expensive at first. I think I bought one around 1984 maybe early 1985 when the price here plummeted to 150 Dutch guilders, which was a bargain compared to original price.
Mind you, the complete 850 is one heck of a quality built device, entirely in Atari's early FCC/tank style and.....it's another computer around the computer. Just like the 1050 it has a 6507 on board....in fact...the thing is ALMOST an Atari 2600....only TIA is missing ;)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 4

I

If you write "kit" was there more to it than just the board and the - I assume - quartz oscillator? In order to get it up and running, wouldn't you need an EPROM with the R: handler and the "firmware"?

I didn't doubt the authenticity, just wondered if it was a common item or more of a one-off or small series.

It does include the crystal, the instructions also tell you how to read the original ROM and configure the board for a 2532 EPROM.

Maybe not a full kit, but kit is used a bit loosely ;)

• Like 2

Hello Andre

... after they found out the 850 wasn't moving.....

Not sure about the early years, but a lot of the later stuff wasn't moving because Atari wasn't moving it. Not because people didn't want (or didn't have the money) to buy it.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Mind you, the complete 850 is one heck of a quality built device, entirely in Atari's early FCC/tank style and.....it's another computer around the computer. Just like the 1050 it has a 6507 on board....in fact...the thing is ALMOST an Atari 2600....only TIA is missing ;)

No doubt about that but I suppose most people didn‘t need what the 850 could do and were content with a small SIO to Centronics converter that didn‘t need a power supply of its own and cost much less. The fraction of users needing more than one serial port or more than a SIO or Joystick port connected modem must have been smaller by several orders of magnitude still.

But you can‘t blame Atari for misestimating the market. It took some time for the industry to find out that peripherals like modems and printers are best left to third party suppliers.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here's 600dpi scans of my bare board. Hmm - it looks like the forum may have resized the files. I have uncompressed 600DPI files, if these do not show up that way. They are 46MB each, I can upload them somewhere to a free hosting site if needed.

post-650-0-55812500-1511394486_thumb.png

post-650-0-30059200-1511394620_thumb.png

• Like 4

Someone with too much time at hands should turn this into an Eagle CAD (or whatever else) file :D

And produce some gerbers....than we can have them produced in China for close to nothing....Now building it up is a different story.

Redisigning to an SMD version would be nice.....this board would REALLY shrink a lot when SMD would be used.

[EDIT] It would already shrink a lot if the entire power section would be removed and we'd supply it with a USB power supply....[/EDIT]

Don't think 6507 and PIA's are available in SMD but.....o well....never mind....this could all fit in an FPGA or maybe even simpler IC's today. Maybe you can emulate the whole thing with an Arduino ? I have no idea....do we actually still need Centronics and RS-232 ?

Maybe an SMD version and let the guys in China buildit for us ?

Would be a nice little board to add to a 1088XLE :D

Edited by Level42
  • Like 3

When redisigning it, putting more oomph into it to allow >9.600 baud speeds in and out would be interesting. I certainly lack the electronics knowledge to even contemplate such a project as much as I lack applications for 57K modem communication on the Atari but it sure would be cool :-D

• Like 1

Here's 600dpi scans of my bare board. Hmm - it looks like the forum may have resized the files. I have uncompressed 600DPI files, if these do not show up that way. They are 46MB each, I can upload them somewhere to a free hosting site if needed.

attachicon.gif850 PCB 00_cr.png

attachicon.gif850 PCB 01_cr.png

Just upload them here in two separate posts. Last time I checked the limit was 50mb.

• Like 2