IGNORED

Crumbs! by Sporadicsoft - Preview

Sporadic

Yes I could add options to remove the head Bob and add a reticle to the centre of that helps. :)

That is kind of you to offer to but to be honest I was not aware of any head bob although that may be a factor, from the video I think it the wall segment graphics and the speed at which they move will be more of a factor.

You quickly adapt to the travel & gaming limitations that arise when you suffer as severely as I do. I have problems with Doom, Wolfenstien, AvP & Cybermorph, I can play them a bit if moving relatively slowly but if I have move quickly or end up going round in circles (i.e. lost in the air ducts) that becomes an issue. Strangely Star Wars Battlefront I can either play for hours or just minutes and I can't even watch someone play Call of Duty (or video from a roller coaster) for more than a minutes. Similarly I cannot play World Tour Racing for long but Microprose Grand Prix on the ST I could endure for some time.

Consequently I am unable to define what exactly causes the problem, but it is probably some combination of number of different colours used, number of pixels/object moving simultaneously, graphic resolution (looking pixely or smooth), frame rate and movement speed, which of those apply may well vary from game to game.

Plain walls and about half the speed may help me however it would be unreasonable to expect anyone to limit their vision of what they want their game to be or put in special modes just for the one person in a 1000 that may have issues.

Edited by Stephen Moss
  • Like 2

I also get motion sickness in FPS games. I never used to, but it started about 15 years ago. I suspect that games were below the 'smooth' threshold before then, and once it all got silky 50/60 fps the hurling started.

Having a 6 year old GPU and cranking up the detail levels helps reduce modern stuff to non-hurling levels.

Maybe that's why I love the Jaguar :P

• Like 6

Hi Sporadic,

This is a really nice piece of work - is it coded entirley in RB+ ?

Will you release source when you finaly happy with it ? I'd love to see how you've acheived everything.

cheers

Thank you :)

Yes this is all coded in rB+ . I've been on and off coding the engine for around 2 years now, it's gone through many many iterations to optimise things.

I'd like to release some source at some point but I really don't know when that'll be yet. There's probably still more that can be tweaked ;)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting, but I can see why it would make someone dizzy.

Only if they're a wuss!

Been watching the videos of this again and got all happy and stuff :)

It looks pretty much done as it is.

Just some sound options would be nice.

Can you press down to immediately about-face and run in the opposite direction?

Also, scoreboards and EEPROM score saving are a must for this one.

• Like 2

Only if they're a wuss!

Been watching the videos of this again and got all happy and stuff :)

It looks pretty much done as it is.

Just some sound options would be nice.

Can you press down to immediately about-face and run in the opposite direction?

Also, scoreboards and EEPROM score saving are a must for this one.

Cheers.

Yeah, I tried to mimic various things from the original. You can about--face at any time but only left/right at junctions. Also, if you hold left/right before you get to the junction then it turns faster. That is to try and emulate the "corner cutting" mechanic of Pacman and aid in escaping Ghosts.

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Video update time!

This shows a couple of new/changed features;
- The new radar at the top, giving you a rough location and distance of each Ghost, Powapill and Fruit.
- The map at the bottom is now only visible under certain conditions (difficulty level / powapill eaten).
- I have also been playing with the wall textures to add some variety for the difficulty levels. These are subject to change of course.
- The walls animate now too, adding a glow effect.

The video description has time index links you can use to skip to key points.

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 9

Video update time!

This shows a couple of new/changed features;

- The new radar at the top, giving you a rough location and distance of each Ghost, Powapill and Fruit.

- The map at the bottom is now only visible under certain conditions (difficulty level / powapill eaten).

- I have also been playing with the wall textures to add some variety for the difficulty levels. These are subject to change of course.

- The walls animate now too, adding a glow effect.

The video description has time index links you can use to skip to key points.

https://youtu.be/74NECqXareo

This is looking great! I'm really excited for this one. :)

If I may make another suggestion: some kind of warning that the powapill is about to run out?

Maybe a little exclamation point could flash up very briefly or something?

• Like 1

This is looking great! I'm really excited for this one. :)

If I may make another suggestion: some kind of warning that the powapill is about to run out?

Maybe a little exclamation point could flash up very briefly or something?

Cheers!

I was thinking something similar while recording the video :)

• Like 1

I like it - but why do you keep hiding the map at the bottom of the screen?

It is all to do with difficulty level and getting the player to watch the game world instead of the map all the time while playing. Something I have been testing in this version is to only display the map when you collect a powapill.

Edited by Sporadic
  • Like 1