IGNORED

Cuphead Is Contra Nuff Said.

Atariboy2600

When I first saw this game the first and I mean the VERY FIRST thing that pops out of my head is this is the 1930s Contra. Everybody and there uncle was compering this game to Dark Soul in it's hard difficulty and to me this is nothing to a 80s kid that played this type of game everyday from games like Contra, Megaman, Ghost N Goblin hell even games in the 90s like Gunstar Heros and Metal Slug. Battletoad is 10 time harder then Cuphead@_@

The Box art is a style from the SNES Konami game Contra 3.

Anyway here's my take on what if Cuphead was on a SNES system so I hand drew everything you see here on Clip Studio Pro

post-5587-0-32382100-1511208050_thumb.png

post-5587-0-41251400-1511208068_thumb.png

post-5587-0-29783900-1511208086_thumb.png

post-5587-0-99884900-1511208098_thumb.png

I'm pretty sure the main reason for the Dark Souls comparison is the difficulty.

It's too easy to just call it hard anymore. Gotta use slang like "Man this is SOULS hard!"

Having played it... It's definitely closer to Contra as stated, but that's kind of a given seeing as the gameplay is basically pile of bosses with a handful of "Run N Gun" levels.

It's pretty challenging though and will make you work for it. I haven't played it in a while cause I'm stuck on the last area before the Devil. Screw that robot. -_-

I'm pretty sure the main reason for the Dark Souls comparison is the difficulty.

It's too easy to just call it hard anymore. Gotta use slang like "Man this is SOULS hard!"

I wish people on the internet would stop using Dark Souls as the gold standard for difficulty, because saying something is "Souls Hard" implies you will also be fighting with a half-broken camera, inconsistent physics, obtuse checkpoints and an annoying input buffer system.

Thankfully Cuphead is just a good, traditional kind of "hard." Haha.

• Like 3

I would call it "Nintendo Hard" which isn't a bad thing unless you really suck at platform games that don't hold your hand *cough*millennials*cough*.

But I bet ya that had it been released on a Nintendo branded system it wouldn't be getting hate for it's difficulty from the same *cough*crybaby YouTuber*cough* detractors.

• Like 1

Was Dark Souls really that hard? When I played it, the mistakes mostly fell on my shoulders because I rushed in and button mashed. Once I learned how to play, it wasn't so frustratingly hard as it was portrayed.

In Cuphead-are deaths typically due to player error or are deaths "cheap"? That's what I'd like to know.

In Cuphead-are deaths typically due to player error or are deaths "cheap"? That's what I'd like to know.

Cuphead is definitely player error. It's heavily pattern-based and requires precision play at times, but it's never unfair (and collision detection is precise). It beats me down even on the standard difficulty, but unlike most games of that type, I don't mind going back for "one more try." It's great with two players too.

• Like 1