IGNORED

The best pick-up-and-play 3DO games

One of the interesting things about 3DO fans is what they perceive as "good". If Killing Time had been released on the PS1 in the same state it was on the 3DO, it would be heavily derided today. You see this behavior frequently in other communities that revolve around less popular systems (Jaguar, CD-i, etc), propping games on pedestals that would, on other platforms, be considered mediocre (or worse). That's why I suggest taking others' opinions with a grain of salt when it comes to this platform, and ignore things like "Top 10" lists. Check gameplay footage of games that interest you, then try them out yourself if you feel the urge.

For sure. I've seen some lists of Top10 games that have some really shitty ones in it. I do like horror style games tho so anything like that but allows me to save along the way would be great!

Btw I finished playing Iron Angel just a bit ago. But that probably had 5-6 hours of my time into it. I also found a speed run video of Myst so I was able to beat that in under 10 minutes for a fun quick play. I guess tomorrow I'll be back at it with some others and if not then move on to the Saturn for some quick play.

For sure. I've seen some lists of Top10 games that have some really shitty ones in it. I do like horror style games tho so anything like that but allows me to save along the way would be great!

Yeah, definitely give it a try at least. It's fun to experiment with the library to see what you enjoy. You may end up liking the game (or not--won't know until you try it).

Btw I finished playing Iron Angel just a bit ago. But that probably had 5-6 hours of my time into it. I also found a speed run video of Myst so I was able to beat that in under 10 minutes for a fun quick play. I guess tomorrow I'll be back at it with some others and if not then move on to the Saturn for some quick play.

Try D, I guess. I don't know much about the game, but I know you enjoy horror and grainy CG video, so yeah, that one fits the description.

​And hey -- if you like RPGs, I can def. vouch for Guardian Wars --if you can tolerate the visuals--. It's a tactics RPG, so you just move from battle to battle and you can save almost anytime.

Edited by Montrealer

• 1 month later...

I always find Sewer Shark a great game for a quick play. I love the cheesy fmv and find this one a lot of fun. Road Rash is definitely a favourite of mine also.

In terms of Top 10, I would say Wing Commander is up there - currently playing through this one again now I have picked up a flight stick. Road Rash, as mentioned above. Space Hulk - the best version of this game out there.

I have just managed to also pick up a copy of Alone in the Dark finally so will dive into this when I receive.

I always find Sewer Shark a great game for a quick play. I love the cheesy fmv and find this one a lot of fun. Road Rash is definitely a favourite of mine also.

In terms of Top 10, I would say Wing Commander is up there - currently playing through this one again now I have picked up a flight stick. Road Rash, as mentioned above. Space Hulk - the best version of this game out there.

I have just managed to also pick up a copy of Alone in the Dark finally so will dive into this when I receive.

I tried Sewer Shark and think it;s fun and would love to actually beat it, but it seems like the controls just don;'t register properly for me. Not registering the turns is what kills you in the game as you'll go into that non-opening door or whatever. If this could register better I could actually beat the game and would love to do that! Games that have a strict timing situation are ones I struggle with (same with Dragon's Lair, Braindead 13, and Space Ace)

I tried Sewer Shark and think it;s fun and would love to actually beat it, but it seems like the controls just don;'t register properly for me. Not registering the turns is what kills you in the game as you'll go into that non-opening door or whatever. If this could register better I could actually beat the game and would love to do that! Games that have a strict timing situation are ones I struggle with (same with Dragon's Lair, Braindead 13, and Space Ace)

I found this initially too. I also had on the mega cd and it was the same but if you hold (i think button b) with the turn, it performs properly. Without pressing the button it does nothing.

I will look to beat soon - once I am done with Wing Commander 3.

Turning in Sewer Shark is ridiculously easy and does not rely on strict timing. You're probably not doing the inputs correctly, or are doing them way later than you are supposed to.

Turning in Sewer Shark is ridiculously easy and does not rely on strict timing. You're probably not doing the inputs correctly, or are doing them way later than you are supposed to.

I'm going to try the B button option he mentioned and hold that while doing the turns to see if it works. I have yet to get past the first stage in the game "meat" something.

Yes, you hold down one of the buttons and press the direction you want to turn.

The HUD at the top of the screen tells you your possible turns. When one of those arrows is blinking, that means you can input the turn command to lock that turn in, then it'll turn for you automatically when you get to it.

Also, you have to listen to what they are telling you in the early parts of the game. The coordinates shouted out tell you the order of turns to take.

• Like 1

Yes, you hold down one of the buttons and press the direction you want to turn.

The HUD at the top of the screen tells you your possible turns. When one of those arrows is blinking, that means you can input the turn command to lock that turn in, then it'll turn for you automatically when you get to it.

Also, you have to listen to what they are telling you in the early parts of the game. The coordinates shouted out tell you the order of turns to take.

I gave it a go again last weekend and played it through 3 times and still even with mashing the correct buttons and trying to take the turns it was hit and miss as to then it would seem to register the correct direction so I ended up getting maybe 5+ minutes in and dying, then tried it a few more times and kept getting the same thing. Random times when it would actually make the turns. I did follow the HUD and there are some random times when it will blink Red or blink YELLOW and other times it blinks GREEN.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave it a go again last weekend and played it through 3 times and still even with mashing the correct buttons and trying to take the turns it was hit and miss as to then it would seem to register the correct direction so I ended up getting maybe 5+ minutes in and dying, then tried it a few more times and kept getting the same thing. Random times when it would actually make the turns. I did follow the HUD and there are some random times when it will blink Red or blink YELLOW and other times it blinks GREEN.

Well, did you try SHOOTING THE TUBES, DOGMEAT!?!

Well, did you try SHOOTING THE TUBES, DOGMEAT!?!

No matter what I did I still seemed to miss a bunch of the turns, really pissed me off. I seem to have terrible luck with any sort of timing games. I would love to beat through a good collection of games but my timing seems to be terrible on some of these. Would like to finish Sewer Shark, Dragon's Lair, Braindead 13, and Space Ace.