IGNORED

Definitive guide to burning 3DO games?

I would like to give Dino Tycoon a whirl on my 3DO, but i'm not paying $1000 for the privilege.

Does anybody know the current best guide for burning 3DO games on a windows 10 PC? Thanks

Any please don't mention "piracy," no one is making any money off the 3DO at this time, nor cares.

Reviving this as I was able to get an FZ-1 on Friday with Road Rash for 115. Hoping that was a good price. My thing is I have imgburn, I downloaded an image and burned it at 16X, slowest speed my drive will burn at, using memorex cd's and I put it in the 3do and it tries to load it and spits it right out at me. I tried it on my computer using 4do and it works. Anyone know what the problem could be? Take it apart and clean the laser, or are there FZ1's that won't read burned CD's, if so this is news to me.

• Like 1

Reviving this as I was able to get an FZ-1 on Friday with Road Rash for 115. Hoping that was a good price. My thing is I have imgburn, I downloaded an image and burned it at 16X, slowest speed my drive will burn at, using memorex cd's and I put it in the 3do and it tries to load it and spits it right out at me. I tried it on my computer using 4do and it works. Anyone know what the problem could be? Take it apart and clean the laser, or are there FZ1's that won't read burned CD's, if so this is news to me.

Your FZ-1 plays an original game fine right? You loaded Road Rash ok? Just to be clear you are using a CD-r format disc right? Not CD+RW or something? If so it should work, only other thing I can suggest is trying a brand like Ritek instead, the old console drives can be picky, the PC drive you use for the emulator tend to be less finicky.

• Like 1

As far as I know it plays it fine, I've never owned a 3do. It loads the game and I can play it. Load times are long, but that's probably the drive itself, single speed I think. Yes, using CD-R Memorex. I am using imgburn with the default settings,only thing I have done is make it so i can burn dreamcast games so it will overburn if necessary, don't think that should make a difference with this though.

All 3DO play burned backups. The copyright protection was never added in the design, same as Sega CD, probably because nobody owned personal CD burners in 1993. The problem is probably the memorex cd-r. 3DO were always picky about the mods they read. U need to get some Taiyo yuden or equivalent quality cd-r. Also the laser could be getting weaker. And yes, slow load times were due to the 1x cd-rom.

I have a FZ-1 that will no longer read CDr discs. However, that was after I replaced the drive with a compatible PC CD-ROM drive (the original drive was failing). On my Goldstar that I also own, I have found that it did not like certain CDr brands at all. Some brands work, some don't. It's picky.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

Any tuto for burning ISO under Mac OS X?

I read the previous posts but the alternative to Img burn on Mac (isky DVD creator) doesn't speak at all about CD iso so Iam wondering if it really works for that?

On 11/21/2017 at 7:45 PM, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

download image, use IMGBURN to create disc....load and play THE END.

It too simplistic: what file to burn? for 3DO there are 2 files in a folder: one cue and the iso: what to place in the CB burning software?

The as the 3DO laser lens is old, you must burn at the lowest speed possible, i.e. x1 or x2

Then Imgburn is for  PC only, what to use on Mac?

As you can see it is not that simple at all when you are a beginner :(

The cue file is, essentially, just a text file (you should be able to open it up in a word processing program to see the contents). It contains the track info.

When I'm using Imgburn, I open the cue file, and it tells the program how to burn the ISO to the disc. I assume whatever program you use for the Mac will work similarly.

Also, it's unlikely you're going to be burning at 1x or 2x if you're using a modern machine. I would burn at the lowest speed your writer supports.

By the way, if you try to open the cue file with your CD burning software and it can't find the ISO, you may have to open the cue file in a word processor to see what the filename is that it's looking for, and either change that to match the filename of the ISO or change your ISO's filename to match the cue file.

Edited by chicgamer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I burned a ton of 3do games back about 10 years ago. Mostly using NERO and Plextor drives on a WinXP Machine.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the same issue that I have ... My 3do will have a progressively harder time seeking and reading the data from my burned discs the longer it's on. After about an hour it will crash every time.

If I give it a "rest" and turn it off every 1/2 hour or so it will plug along just fine. I'm trying to figure out if it's my drive ir the CDs I'm using, and what I should do about it. Anyone else had a similar issue?

• 1 month later...

This is one of those things that doesn't make sense to me, but the burner I use makes a big difference. You would think they are digital and just all do the same things, but it seems that's not the case. I have an old IDE LG burner and the discs I burn with that usually work, but my newer machine with a SATA DVD burner makes non-booting disks. PC's can read them, but very little luck with Playstation, 3DO, and especially Gamecube (that thing is a pain).

I'm not sure slower or faster burning makes a difference, but it may be on certain drives it works better than others at different speeds.

It's very frustrating. Also the fact that almost all the media we have now is 10+ year old stock doesn't help.

Edited by R.Cade