IGNORED

Best Height For Tactile Push Button Tact Switch Momentary?

AtariMI1978

I'm trying to figure out which is best for my 2nd Atari 2600 CX-40 joystick (less cutting down white joystick handle), Tactile Push Button Tact Switch Momentary (height) 5mm, 4.3mm, or 3.8mm?

Which does everyone else use? I've enclosed an image of the one(s) I'm looking at.

Thank you.

Tactile.jpg

Per a YT vid I saw, I went ahead and bought a bunch of 6x6x2.5mm switches. They're really, really thin, obviously much thinner than what you're looking at. It looks like with the 2.5mm height, you only snip off the "nipple" on the bottom of the inner handle. Haven't soldered them in place yet, but am about to soon. Will give an update after I do....

Per a YT vid I saw, I went ahead and bought a bunch of 6x6x2.5mm switches. They're really, really thin, obviously much thinner than what you're looking at. It looks like with the 2.5mm height, you only snip off the "nipple" on the bottom of the inner handle. Haven't soldered them in place yet, but am about to soon. Will give an update after I do....

Thank you so much for the reply. Good luck with the soldering.

Okay, finally got around to soldering these on. After doing so, I sure as heck wouldn't want anything thicker than the 2.5mm switches I bought as I had to cut off more of the actuator nubs than I thought. Wasn't a big deal using a nail clipper. Nice, clean cut without grinding or filing down. Nail clippers worked great to cut off the unused switch leads and on the fire button shaft too, which btw: its spring is no longer necessary afterwards. Use caution when clipping! I did accidentally ruin one handle as I cut a nub too far down. :(

This "upgrade" (alternative really) to the dome switch method feels exactly like you'd expect it to. A whole lot of clicking going on, but I will say that it is super-responsive. Diagonals work perfectly too. All in all, this is a neat little hack - so if you're into super sensitive controls, can ignore all the clicking and don't mind playing Atari with a completely different feel to it - it's rather nice for what it is.

post-13896-0-50853300-1511392844.jpg post-13896-0-35484200-1511392850.jpg

post-13896-0-91759000-1511392855.jpg post-13896-0-53374600-1511392861.jpg

Okay, finally got around to soldering these on. After doing so, I sure as heck wouldn't want anything thicker than the 2.5mm switches I bought as I had to cut off more of the actuator nubs than I thought. Wasn't a big deal using a nail clipper. Nice, clean cut without grinding or filing down. Nail clippers worked great to cut off the unused switch leads and on the fire button shaft too, which btw: its spring is no longer necessary afterwards. Use caution when clipping! I did accidentally ruin one handle as I cut a nub too far down. :(

This "upgrade" (alternative really) to the dome switch method feels exactly like you'd expect it to. A whole lot of clicking going on, but I will say that it is super-responsive. Diagonals work perfectly too. All in all, this is a neat little hack - so if you're into super sensitive controls, can ignore all the clicking and don't mind playing Atari with a completely different feel to it - it's rather nice for what it is.

attachicon.gifIMG_8097.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_8099.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8101.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_8102.jpg

Glad it all worked out for you. I'll remember about the nail clippers. :) I returned your private message.

Have you tried or thought about buying a gold kit instead ?

Thanks for replying AtariBrian. I actually did for my first joystick and works great. I wanted to try something different, something more time consuming. I also just bought a soldering iron, so this will be my 2nd time putting it to the test. :)

I need to replace the fire buttons on my 3 trak-balls.

I was thinking of a much thinner tactile button that is about the same height as the original domes.

I've not measured the height of the domes, yet, but I am thinking of something like this:

TL3315NF_sml.jpg TL3315NF100Q.jpg

Or maybe a slightly taller tactile switch so that there is little or no gap between the bottom of the fire button and the top of the tactile switch, and that will increase the responsiveness of the fire buttons.

I think it is time for me to do some internal measurements of that are under the fire buttons.

• 3 weeks later...

I did this to a CX-40 quite a while back. It works pretty well but it is difficult to get each of the "legs" trimmed to exactly the same length on the white handle. Other than that, the rest is fairly easy.

HERE is the video (not mine).

I have a small pile of thin tactile buttons if anyone needs some. Just PM me an address and how many you would like and I can drop some in a regular stamped/letter envelope.

;) :-D