IGNORED

Driving Demo (WIP) - Feedback for potential driving game pls

TwentySixHundred

Ok so after digging through my old projects i have decided to post this quick demo of a driving/racing game. The demo is basically only the driving scene and other aspects id like to add later if deciding to proceed. Interested to see if there would be any interest in a homebrew like this. If there is, im wanting to use a 32k ROM size due to my "if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing properly" mentality and the fact alot more depth can be added.

A quick run down of how this came about; for about the past 12months rather then trying to make 'homebrews' i had been creating many experimental projects to manipulate and outright experiment when i fully understand a method or function ect. So rather then a handful of tools i now have a bucketload to make something interesting and get a full understanding of the VCS. Anyway this 'Demo' pretty much is one those experiments that kinda grew into a fairly optimized engine template that i feel could have potential for growth.

So as simplistic as all the features are presented (keep in mind this is the 2600) it does feature,

1) A four speed automatic transmission algorithm (could do with some more tweaks)

2) Scaling (kind of, for what the VCS can do)

3) Parallax scrolling

4) Day to Night routine (although far from complete)

5) Multiple engine notes depending on users preference via difficulty the switches

6) And the general collision detection, gameover routine and soforth.

Keep in mind this demo is far from complete and if i were to proceed many new features, changes, bug fixes and tweaking could be made.

Anyway here is a demo .bin if anyone is interested in talking a look.

post-30687-0-03307900-1511354086_thumb.png

driving_demo_TT2600.bin.bin

• Like 1

vidak

Looks great! I'm particularly excited to see the parallax scrolling!

Thanks, yes well VCS parallax scrolling as good as it gets while trying to save on memory ;). If i used an additional couple of variables and split them into nybbles the scrolling would be much more fluent and precise. Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: .

Thomas Jentzsch

Make sure that the buildings don't move faster than the cars, else the cars look like driving backwards. :)

I think by memory without firing it up you're correct the trees and buildings move faster then the road traffic (will have to have a look later). My problem is limitations from being stingy with variables, i might have to bite the bullet and use a couple for more control over the conditions. Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

JeremiahK
Very cool! I have similar ideas for a future 2600 project of my own, so I will definitely be glued to this thread.

Thankyou! Your interest like the others has given me alot more inspiration and got the mind ticking with ideas again. I might have to sit down this weekend and have a tinker with the source.

Edited by Tony The 2600
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...