IGNORED

Jag CD Red Screen of Death >_< Tried Everything (I think)

JaguarRage

Hey Guys, LONG time reader, first time poster here.

I work in a classic game shop here in Dublin, Ireland. My job mainly entails repairing and refurbishing old consoles etc, anything from SNES to Neo Geo, Vectrex to Virtual Boy. I seem to have a knack at fixing these things, decent enough to stay in the job anyway ;) But I find myself stumped...

I recently acquired a Jaguar CD to sit atop my beloved Jag. It's probably my favourite console (GameCube and VCS competing), so I was chuffed to find a working unit for a somewhat-decent price.

The issue is, it worked on arrival. But ever since, all I've been getting is the infamous Red Screen.

I figured out it that this means a connection problem between the console and CD drive, so I disassembled the unit and cleaned the pins, as well as the cartridge slot on the Jaguar itself. I also repeated this inside the CD Unit, where the connector board meets the main board. Everything seems to be completely spotless... and nothing. Still the red screen. The laser will jump slightly, but nothing more.

So I cleaned the board, made sure everything was sitting nice and flush in the case. I've heard of the placement of internal components such as the RF shielding causing poor the unit to make an improper connection but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

As I said, the unit DID work at first, and has been well treated in my possession. I really love the Jaguar and would love even more if I could get my CD unit working.

Help me Atariage, You're my only hope!

Did you take a look at the edge connector inside the CD? Odds are slim, but it's possible one of the pins inside there could be bent/broken.

I did. Cleaned every point of contact between the console and unit on both ends of the connector board, and the edge connectors on the unit & on the console, to the point where the card & cloth is coming out spotless every time.

I examined them for bent or broken pins but no luck :(

I did. Cleaned every point of contact between the console and unit on both ends of the connector board, and the edge connectors on the unit & on the console, to the point where the card & cloth is coming out spotless every time.

I examined them for bent or broken pins but no luck :(

Carts always work fine? I suppose I would check for bad solder joints on the edge connector on the CD, or even bad traces on the connector board though the odds again of those are very small. If it was me I'd probably start testing continuity on each pin from the solder side of the edge connector to the other end of the connector board. If those all check out I'm out of ideas.

• Like 1

Bad solder joint at the CD's power input jack by chance? May as well reflow to eliminate that possibility.

You think it could be? Doesn't the Jag recognize the CD Unit even if the unit isn't powered on? I think I remember a startup screen advising me to do so (connect PSU) before, but I will try replace the power input jack. If I'm not mistaken it shares the same type as the model 1 MegaDrive/Genesis? I have plenty of those lying around.

No, madman is probably right. I was thinking if maybe the solder joint was just bad enough/cracked that it might be letting *some* current through, but not enough. Again, just trying to eliminate things... wouldn't go out of my way to replace the jack, unless it's all corroded. I'd just heat up/reflow the two connections at the board is all.

When you had it open did you see if the "game ROM" is socketted or soldered? This holds VLM etc and essentially boots like a cart. I am wondering if perhaps it is a socketted version that this MAY have a bad connection, or if you have some corrosion that may have upset it. Might be worth a careful reseating if this is the case.

if you don't have the unit open, just look at the sticker with the serial number if the MFG date is 9509 it is probably a socketted ROM variety. There may be others, but I have only seen 9509 as being socketted.