IGNORED

My Jag & I met Romero (DOOM)

JaguarRage

Just a quick little Jaguar story from a couple weeks back...

I was hosting a stall at PlayersExpo (a gaming convention of medium scale here in Ireland!) for the game shop I work in. We were basically there to exhibit our "console timeline" - 35ish consoles, VCS to Wii U- and to raise awareness for our shop in Dublin.

John Romero, the man who brought us DOOM and Quake happened upon our stall and I was quick to leap at the chance to talk Jag (I always am).

I let him know that Jag Doom is probably my favorite version, I ended up learning that the Jag version is the one he and his team had worked on specifically, and while he thought it was "cool" that I liked it, I'm not too sure he thought the Jag was as cool as I obviously do. He seemed less than excited to be in it's prescence anyway... Anyhoo he agreed to be in a photo with the Jag, the Jag CD and I, and I now have one more "Jag-Caper" to add to my practically non-existent bank of cool Jaguar-related stories...

I wish I'd asked him more about his dealings with Atari at the time but I had to prevent a bunch of kids from potentially destroying the Virtual Boy Arrrgggh. Apparently he's a local so maybe we'll cross paths again soon...

Let it be known that we sold exactly one Jaguar and copy of DOOM thanks to that plug from Mr. Romero. Thanks dude.

post-62667-0-55297500-1511389103_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Romero seems like the rock and roll type. If it's not in Vogue or wasn't in Vogue he just wasn't into it. I always got that impression with him regarding the Jaguar.

'Tis why (well, one of a few hundred reasons) Jeff Minter is so much cooler than everyone in the biz. He loves the obscure stuff, and coaxes the best out of it.

'Tis why (well, one of a few hundred reasons) Jeff Minter is so much cooler than everyone in the biz. He loves the obscure stuff, and coaxes the best out of it.

Wasn't that kind of like CarMax fired him because he was too much into the giveng appearances and stuff after Doom took off?

Look and how he's dressed he looks like he should be in a band.

Why he moved here, I have no clue. Maybe he heard there was this awesome game store here and just had to relocate... ;)

A lot of creators in music and film spend significant amounts of time here hanging out.

Perhaps the think they will draw insperation from the place...

If you have the time, watch this interview done with Romero earlier this year. He talks a lot about why they moved to Ireland.