IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable 2016 vs 2017. any thoughts?

I did not get a 2016 Atari Flashback Portable. I did get a 2017 Atari Flashback Portable based on the video that I provided the link to.

What really sold me on the 2017 was the battery access door. 2016 didn't have that. You know I will have this for 40 years and need to replace the battery dozens of times. :)

Also, the 2017 model has a pac-man game and pac-man on the box.

The 2017 screen is supposed to be smaller but not much. If it were twice the size it would still be small to me.

I have to say though, I am very happy with the 2017 model and am enjoying it much more than I expected to mainly by playing Spider Fighter from an SD card.

• Like 1

Thanks, your post + they are going for 34.99 brand new on Ebay right now = what the heck, I ordered one. I also agree with you about the battery door - I HATE electronics that are designed so the batteries cannot be removed by the average Joe Six-pack like myself.

I'm sure it is heresy to type these words here but here goes: I've never been a Pac-Man fan for either the home or arcade versions, and I actually like the 2016 Box art with Frogger and Centipede better. :-o

Maybe I'll attempt a youtube video to compare them. I've always wanted to do something like that. :D

I did not get a 2016 Atari Flashback Portable. I did get a 2017 Atari Flashback Portable based on the video that I provided the link to.

What really sold me on the 2017 was the battery access door. 2016 didn't have that. You know I will have this for 40 years and need to replace the battery dozens of times. :)

Also, the 2017 model has a pac-man game and pac-man on the box.

The 2017 screen is supposed to be smaller but not much. If it were twice the size it would still be small to me.

I have to say though, I am very happy with the 2017 model and am enjoying it much more than I expected to mainly by playing Spider Fighter from an SD card.

• Like 1

I'm sure it is heresy to type these words here but here goes: I've never been a Pac-Man fan for either the home or arcade versions, and I actually like the 2016 Box art with Frogger and Centipede better. :-o

Yes. I believe that is the definition of heresy. :)

• Like 1

Between the two, I'd give a mild edge to the 2017 version, but not necessarily a big enough one to get it again if you have the 2016.

Hardware: I think the D-pad on 2017 is a bit worse, but neither was very good for my fat thumbs. The 2017 version has the battery accessible behind a screwed-on back panel, rather than buried inside the unit.

The stock included selection of games is IMO better on the 2017, with Activision and Namco arcade games.

Emulation seems slightly improved for at least some games (games like Galaxian and Pressure Cooker were glitched to heck on the 2016 model, fixed to be included games on the new one. Stargate/Defender II has the landscape graphics messed up now though, where they worked OK on the 2016 model.

• 3 weeks later...

To get the self-test mode on my Flashback Portable 2017, I had to hold down all six round keys (A, R, S,P, L, and T) while powering on.

Hi, could you do me a favor and reconfirm that it takes holding down all six buttons and not just A, R, and S like on the 2016 AFBP? It's definitely worth noting if the key combination has changed.

onmode-ky

Hi, could you do me a favor and reconfirm that it takes holding down all six buttons and not just A, R, and S like on the 2016 AFBP? It's definitely worth noting if the key combination has changed.

onmode-ky

Only holding all six round keys (A, R, S,P, L, and T) broyght up diagnostics on my AFP 2017. Holding A, R, and S just boots as normal.

onmode-ky

That's exactly what I was saying. A, S, and R did not work. The only combination I could find that did was all six round buttons.

Thanks to you both for confirming. I wonder why they made that change--heck, maybe it's as simple as having had two different engineers define the key sequences, and they didn't work together. In any case, I'll record it in my plug-n-play website's hidden modes section, whenever I get around to updating it with all the data from the latter half of this year.

onmode-ky

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got mine. My opinion as a layman is that it is very poopy. The control sucks, the precision just isn't there at all. In Kaboom and the Astrosmash clone is seems like there are only three places on the screen that you can go, left, right and center. Was that what the originals were like? I was never an Atari kid growing up but the current control scheme renders these games unplayable. The screen is poor too. It's bright and seems to have rich colors, but it's as if it's somehow out of focus. It reminds me of when the EVF in my digital camera is not focus correctly for my eyes

At $40 or so, am I asking too much? I think the thing ought to at least be playable.

Edited by toptenmaterial

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I bought a new one 89.95 taxes in. Cheaper than amazon at 65.00 plus shipping because no free shipping unless you live in a major city.

Looks like with the av cable I have at home you can play on tv if you want.

The controller is terrible hard to move any direction without going another direction. Screen size way smaller than advertised on the box shows pacman full screen but actually some of the screen is cut off.

So how do you use the sd card. Tried a card with bin files on and does not read size type and format anyone?

Also an all in one rom pack with homebrews?

Almost thinking of returning for the poor controller. It is worse than mcdonalds kids meal lcd game controls.