IGNORED

replacing LED in 99/4a black/silver

digdugnate

After 36 years of valiant service, the LED power indicator in my 4A has gone kaput.

Here's my question for the more electronically-minded folks- is it easy to replace the LED in the console? I'm thinking all you do is desolder the old one and put the new one in its place.

I have a bunch of 5 mm LEDs from a project of my daughter that are 20ma, 3V-3.2V according to the package. Will these work?

If it is "that easy" I'll need to find someone with a soldering iron.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Here's my question for the more electronically-minded folks- is it easy to replace the LED in the console? I'm thinking all you do is desolder the old one and put the new one in its place.

I have a bunch of 5 mm LEDs from a project of my daughter that are 20ma, 3V-3.2V according to the package. Will these work?

Yes, just make sure you get the polarity correct. At the bottom of the plastic part of the LED there is a flat. This corresponds to the the Cathode (-) lead. Make sure you place this in the same orientation as the current LED.

If you can't find a flat on the LED, you can also look inside the LED. One leg looks like a post (+) and the negative side is much bigger. You can match to the current LED.

• Like 1

Yes, just make sure you get the polarity correct. At the bottom of the plastic part of the LED there is a flat. This corresponds to the the Cathode (-) lead. Make sure you place this in the same orientation as the current LED.

If you can't find a flat on the LED, you can also look inside the LED. One leg looks like a post (+) and the negative side is much bigger. You can match to the current LED.

very cool info. thank you!

• Like 1

Don't know why exactly, but the color changing LED's are very popular with console gamers today. Or super blinding bright blue... blech. A color changing LED came with a video mod I purchased for the Atari 7800 recently, figured what the heck and threw it in. Used the old Atari red LED in my Final Grom99. :lol:

Maybe you could get one of those super bright color changing LED's for your TI... you know, to make it a little more psychedelic. Seems to be all the rage. lol

• Like 1

After 36 years of valiant service, the LED power indicator in my 4A has gone kaput.

Thanks in advance!

Super easy. as stated verify polarity. I used a cool bright blue in mine when i replaced them. Same ones i used to replace in my modded cards. don't have a pic of the 4A, but here is one of a FDC i did.

post-35187-0-21682000-1511717095.jpg

• Like 2

Don't know why exactly, but the color changing LED's are very popular with console gamers today. Or super blinding bright blue... blech. A color changing LED came with a video mod I purchased for the Atari 7800 recently, figured what the heck and threw it in. Used the old Atari red LED in my Final Grom99. :lol:

Maybe you could get one of those super bright color changing LED's for your TI... you know, to make it a little more psychedelic. Seems to be all the rage. lol

Yeah, those color-changing LEDs are popping up everywhere and I really dislike them. When I replace LEDs I prefer the more subdued blue ones, though in my PEB they are the brighter water-clear ones.

The Sega Genesis Flashback controllers come with activity indicator LEDs... bright blue ones that flash in your eyes while you play. Yeah, I will be replacing those with much dimmer ones.

• Like 2

coolness :) ive got some cool colors to pick from- i think the package we bought for her had orange, red, green, blue, pink, UV(!), and 'transparent'.

sounds like i have a project!

I happened to have a PSU that needed the LED replaced. So I made a terrible video showing the replacement. My mic was apparently not working, so there's no audio. I will add that later.

https://youtu.be/Ztcp4WSLvrE

• Like 2