IGNORED

7800 in HDMI ?

lucifershalo

You can use it with an analog video to HDMI converter such as the "Framemeister". There are cheaper units as well but your mileage may vary regarding processing delays. If the device takes too long to convert the console's output to HDMI you'll have a lag between what you do with your joystick and the results appearing on-screen.

• 2 months later...

Here is another seller retromachunerepair with a 75 dollar mod service to add HDMI to a 7800 for 75 dollars.

I asked him how it was implemented and for pics inside the case but he declined. I also asked for full screen pictures and if the video was stretched and didn’t get a good answer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-7800-or-2600-HDMI-OUT-MOD-ALL-PARTS-INCLUDED-FREE-RETURN-SHIPPING/132489171670?hash=item1ed8f852d6:g:QF0AAOSwcN1acaKO

Yes there are several sellers/modders that offer 2600/7800 systems with an HDMI solution. Not surprisingly, NONE of them will show the insides of what they have done to accomplish this feat. Because as I said, they are likely just using cheap $30 - $40 analog to HDMI converters (Like what I use externally on my composite and s-video modded consoles now), crammed into the case. Not that hard as one other AA member here has done it and basically just had to strip off everything you don't need like the jacks etc from the converter board, wire it's power directly from the voltage regulators (They do run on +5 volts also), and then use the comp/s-video mod boards and run the s-video output to the s-video input of the HDMI converter. Then just epoxy or somehow attach the hdmi out connector through a new opening in the case or via a cable out of the console.

If it was true HDMI out, these guys would be selling kits to make money and not just offering to do the mod for you.

I would love for there to be a true HDMI mod that allows you to process the video and sound digitally like the HiDEF NES or recent GameCube HDMI...etc. But paying someone to add a converter board and simple composite mod board into the console and calling it HDMI is just being a little dishonest I think. Again, if these guys have really come up with a true HDMI output modification board that can be added, then I would be very interested to know more about it.

I'm very tempted to buy one of these systems or send in one of my spare 2600s to get this treatment and then crack it open to see what has really been done.

Framemeister was much better than I had ever expected. And nice that it can input Composite, S-Video, (component Y, Pb, Pr), RGB, and 2 HDMI all at the same time.

Something of equal quality but much cheaper is in great demand if you need nostalgic SD formats displayed on new tech.

Sure Audiophiles and Videophiles can nitpick, and if your display adds a lot of lag your game play will drop.

However it really is so good at what it does, and with low lag.

I tried a VHS to HDMI expecting the huge picture to be horrible and unwatchable, but apart from seeing it obviously is Standard Definition, it was actually watchable. LaserDisc is even nicer with 480i. Upscaled to 1080p with scanlines and it looks like what I would think a 47" CRT would look like (minus the complete black of a CRT of course).

I’m actually impressed with my Sony 50 inch HDTV with HDR and it’s ability to clean up a composite signal. It played my old Genesis over composite very well co pared to my other LCD. It also makes my Laserdiscs look awesome. I have all the digital noise reduction turned to the max for Laserdisc and the performance hit was not noticeable to me.

This TV is really smart and has Android and can emulate a PSOne easily.

I’m actually impressed with my Sony 50 inch HDTV with HDR and it’s ability to clean up a composite signal. It played my old Genesis over composite very well co pared to my other LCD. It also makes my Laserdiscs look awesome. I have all the digital noise reduction turned to the max for Laserdisc and the performance hit was not noticeable to me.

This TV is really smart and has Android and can emulate a PSOne easily.

Wow. It's great when tech surprises you.

Sony sometimes makes excellent tech.

I love the look my free 2005-ish 27" WEGA Trinitron I cleaned out of a friend's basement,

but a free older 32" Trinitron has a more "movie-like" display compared to the "scanline processed WEGA signal".

I noticed the WEGA corrects bad signals. In the 2600 Playfield Single Pixel Scrolling Test it fixes frames so the 3 "not possible" positions the Test is trying to force the TV to draw, some get repaired and it will not show the fine scroll.

An older 90's Zenith lets the Atari 2600 do what it intends and fine Playfield scrolling works.