IGNORED

Where to buy an XF551

Themegaman

Looked on eBay but nothing...

Im looking for a XF551 that is not stained and that works well.

With that said, where can I find one?

Whats the market for these?

Plenty of 1050s are available on eBay, which leads me to believe that the XF551 may be a good drive or in short supply and is relatively rare.

You can buy reconditioned or new XF551's from Best Electronics: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm

Yes they are rare on ebay... I think it's more that they are just rare in the field since they came out so late in the game when most people had moved onto PC, ST, Amiga, Etc. Just like seeing WST (hong kong) 1050's is pretty rare on ebay, they're usually the older Tandon (singapore) drives.

I've had one on my wish list for a while, not that I really NEED one as I already have a stack of 1050's I've restored, but just to have one.. Will eventually include it as part of a larger order from Best, expecially since I'm in Canada. I would have loved to have a DSDD drive back in the day, and muck around with the hacks to enable a 720K drive, internal or externally as a second drive.

Edit: B&C Computervisions also sells reconditioned XF551's, as well as replacement PCB's, CPU's, ROMs, manuals, etc.

http://www.myatari.com/atarixlh.txt

I've read lots of reports of the PCB's being fragile, and damaging easily with insertion/removal of the SIO plug, and the SIO plugs weren't anchored to the PCB well, if at all?

Edited by Nezgar